Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

building a computer to surf net and simple accounts.

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2007, 04:22 PM
riosingh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building a computer to surf net and simple accounts.

my old computer which was a 1.6ghz pentium 4. has given up the ghost.
i dont know weither its a software problem or a hardware one.(recovry disks did not fix it)
so i got thinking that maybe i could build a new one.
the power suply has "for pentium 4" written on it so i thought i'd go down this rute, as I think most of the the procers i was considering(3.0ghz p4 and 3.6ghz celerons), are if im right pentium 4s
i was also going to buy a new motherboard as i dont know wether my mother board or procesor is at fault.(and i guess that the chepo boards of today are megaloads beter than my old thingh).
also i'm going to get a new hard drive. dont know why, but it could also be the problem.

from the old one i want to use;
the case.
disk drive
cd drive
usb card thingy(in the slot above the disk drive)maybe called firewire card?
and the 256 mb ddr ram stick.

and i suppose i'll have to buy a new opperating system, but wont be getting that home addition thingy as i made the mistake of getting that with the laptop. and the works version of the spredsheet is ****e.(cant do multiple sheets(as in one for every month, got round it by drawing a dark line under each month but it means have to scroll to get there)).
so windows xp it'll have to be.
Old 28 February 2007, 11:38 PM
swaussie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why waste money on XP when you could download a version of Linux for free? It will do anything that XP can do plus a shed load more. If its just for internet surfing, playing music/movies and not much else save the cash. Its not that much different and with a million news groups if you have any probs you will get help in seconds.