Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

BT broadband 8mb transfter rate

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2007, 08:01 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BT broadband 8mb transfter rate

What are people getting?

Mine goes from 4kb/sec to 12 kb/sec thats downlaoding something from Microsoft.com

When we had NTL 4mb I got 200+ kb/sec
Old 26 January 2007, 08:46 PM
swampster
Scooby Regular

I get 200+kbs on a ADSLmax line limited to 2.5Mb due to distance and that's with BT Broadband.

What rate is your modem synch'ing at?

Try going to Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test and select the London server, what results does that give you?

Mine gives something like:

Alternatively (or as well) you can go to Test Result

This is a lot more thorough test, but it can be a bit of a PITA to get it to actually work, it might take a few tries as it gets very busy. I've only managed to ever to get it to work in IE too, despite what it says. Occasionally it may ask for your ISP login details (ie the same as should be in your router - user.name@yourisp.com). Unfortunately it never works for me when it asks for these details necessitating a restart of the browser and trying again.

When it's finished it should tell you, your synch rate, your IP profile rate, and data transfer rate. Like this:

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:
IP profile for your line is - 2500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 3072 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 2336 kbps

Post back your results..

Another thing, how long you had an ADSLmax product? It can be a total nightmare in the first couple of weeks as it trains itself, the IP profile and throughput can be all over the shop.

Some good ADSLmax background info... ::. Kitz - MaxDSL dslMax .::
Old 26 January 2007, 09:06 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

We have only had the BT broadband in for 2 weeks.

Old 26 January 2007, 09:15 PM
swampster
Scooby Regular

It could still be in it's training phase then.. mine went down to about 46kbs during that time.

Do you know how far from the exchange you are, what stats does your router say? What kind of speed does the BT broadband checker estimate your maximum ADSLmax speed as? Broadband : Getting Broadband
Old 26 January 2007, 09:23 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

seems odd for 2 weeks

should go up after 3 days and be settled by 10 IIRC

stuck BRAS profile?????

run the tests as suggested above and post line stats

::. Kitz - Get your adsl line stats .::

Old 26 January 2007, 09:28 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

We are about 300-400 yards from the exchange.

This is what that Brandband: Getting brandband said:

For Telephone Number 01234888803 on Exchange TURVEY

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a line rate up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line should be able to support a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 2Mbps or greater.
The actual ADSL Max line rate supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use, after which time the highest stable rate possible will be set.
If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.
Thank you for your interest.
I have no idea what my status says on the router, we have thge BT home hub. and we have option3. their top package.

this is that other checker:

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 152 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 2880 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 126 kbps
Old 26 January 2007, 09:32 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

mike1210, I have just used that link to and have changed the dropdown to show BT Home hub and I click on the IP address and got this back:

Downstream 2,880 KbpsUpstream 448 Kbps

Trending Topics

Old 26 January 2007, 09:38 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

I can't see the links but sounds like a stuck profile to me

and BTW the home hub is dire, youd probably be better off with another router. Ring BT and tell them your profile info. Have you tried giving your router a restart, sometimes (not often) that can help re jig it

Old 26 January 2007, 09:41 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Have done a restart.

I wish we could get NTL here, but they won't finish the job off as there as they have put the cable down the main road, just they have not cabled it to the houses

Last edited by SC008Y_MAD; 26 January 2007 at 09:53 PM.
Old 26 January 2007, 09:42 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

line plugged into master socket?

all filtered and wired tidy?

extentions have filters as well?
Old 26 January 2007, 09:52 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

We orignally had the hub connected on a bt socket upstars routed of from the master downstairs. Since I phoned BT about a noise we are having on the phone with the Hub connected (the noise goes when we disconnet the hub) suggested that we move the hub to the master socket. I have done this and wired it in as they say. We have got no other electrical items connected to a phone like e.g. sky.

Last edited by SC008Y_MAD; 26 January 2007 at 09:57 PM.
Old 26 January 2007, 09:54 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Looks like I'll be phoning BT in the morning telling them about my findings thanks to you guys
Old 26 January 2007, 09:59 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

could be a ticky home hub as well, the noise on the line certainly won't help your connection speed
Old 26 January 2007, 10:03 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

I thought as much.

wish me luck in the morning guys.
btw, thanks so much for your info and site links. It was much appreciated
Old 26 January 2007, 10:47 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

DSL Max here...

Old 26 January 2007, 10:48 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

exactly same problem at work.

been onto them the last week and it feels like i am swimming in treacle. they are very very reluctant to send an engineer.

we move from another isp and the connection was just as bad (50kb / sec max - line syncs at 3500) done all usual speedtests from BT and all the same

used different standalone PC/router/modem configurations, all give exactly the same speed at any time of the day. distance to exchange and noise attenuation are virtually identical to my home connection which gives..

Old 26 January 2007, 10:49 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

I'm 1km from the exchange and have business 8mb broadband.

I can download at 780k per second
Old 26 January 2007, 10:49 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i also note the upspeed doesn't seem to be affected (same as our problem)
Old 26 January 2007, 11:52 PM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mike1210
seems odd for 2 weeks

should go up after 3 days and be settled by 10 IIRC

stuck BRAS profile?????

run the tests as suggested above and post line stats

::. Kitz - Get your adsl line stats .::

BT will only act on a stuck profile after the 10 day period, if it is any less they won't do a thing, other than perhaps restart the whole 10 days cycle. Mine wildly fluctuated between 3Mb and sweet FA, that was without rebooting the router regularly and it took 12 days to settle initially on 1.5Mb BRAS profile. A change of router fixed that and had me on 2Mb, and eventually 2.5Mb

After 14 days it does sound like a stuck BRAS profile, however if the router has been switched on and off regularly during the last fortnight (possibly in an effort to speed things up) it won't have helped, the exchange kit will just think the line is crap and have reacted accordingly.

However with those line stats if the BRAS profile is released (and good luck explaining this to somebody in India who doesn't have a clue.. from experience it isn't easy!) judging by the synch speed of the router the line should be good for a 2.5Mb BRAS profile which should give stats similar to mine.

Top tip, changing to a Speedtouch 585 router got me synching .75 - 1Mb better than my old Vigor router... hence the increase in my BRAS profile, they're highly rated for ADSLmax.

Oh and possibly one of the worst things you can do if you're borderline of the boundries between each BRAS profile with a slightly flakey line is to reboot your router at night. Normally noise on a line is higher at night giving a lower SNR, which can cause the router to synch at a lower speed. If you drop below the threshold of one BRAS profile to another (even for a minute), then you will be stuck with that profile for at least 3 days. With a synch rate of 2880kbs, you are very borderline, if you drop just 32kbs you'll drop to a 2Mb profile.

exactly same problem at work.

been onto them the last week and it feels like i am swimming in treacle. they are very very reluctant to send an engineer.

we move from another isp and the connection was just as bad (50kb / sec max - line syncs at 3500) done all usual speedtests from BT and all the same

used different standalone PC/router/modem configurations, all give exactly the same speed at any time of the day. distance to exchange and noise attenuation are virtually identical to my home connection which gives..
Attenuation doesn't mean a great deal with repsect to ADSLmax, what is the downstream SNR margin of your line at home and the line at work? If your line at work synchs at 3.5Mbs you'll get no better than a 3Mbs BRAS profile. The synch rate of the modem is determined by how much noise there is on the line (or SNR margin). Now if you were on a 3.5Mbs BRAS profile and your modem was synch'in g at 6000+ then yeah it'd be a stuck profile.

Best way to ascertain what is what is to do as above and use the performance checker, it can indicate much more clearly the probability of a stuck profile. Paste it back up here.. it tells you what is actually happening on your line. You'd need to go to your router stats to get your downstream SNR however, but I'd suggest it more likely a noisy or crap (aka aluminium) line that's causing your modem/router to synch at 3.5Mb

Last edited by swampster; 27 January 2007 at 12:51 PM.
Old 26 January 2007, 11:59 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by swampster
BT will only act on a stuck profile after the 10 day period
indeed

After 14 days it does sound like a stuck BRAS profile, however if the router has been switched on and off regularly during the last fortnight (possibly in an effort to speed things up) it won't have helped, the exchange kit will just think the line is crap and have reacted accordingly.
IIRC some say once per day is OK, others say leave router on I believe

Top tip, changing to a Speedtouch 585 router got me synching .75 - 1Mb better than my old Vigor router... hence the increase in my BRAS profile, they're highly rated for ADSLmax
out of interest did you use the tweaking tool or was it better out of the box?
Old 27 January 2007, 12:23 AM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mike1210
indeed

IIRC some say once per day is OK, others say leave router on I believe

out of interest did you use the tweaking tool or was it better out of the box?
I tried the tweaking tool, but the SNR was too low leading to frequent dropped connections. For a short while I was synch'ing well above the 3Mb threshold, but it was just too unstable. I've now reverted back to default settings which seem better. The router is capable of hanging onto synch right down to about 2dbs which I often get at night even at default. So any tweaking gets rid of that margin.. hence disconnection and hey presto a 3 day wait to up my profile again!

Oh yeah turning the router off and leaving it off (ie overnight) shouldn't harm the "training" in fact personally I'd recommend it, turning it back on in the daylight hours.

Last edited by swampster; 27 January 2007 at 12:27 AM.
Old 27 January 2007, 10:39 AM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

When one of you mentioned to reset the hub, I was not entirely show how to do that. But last night I got the manual that came with the hub and read how to reset the hub. I reset it last night and left it to 'sort itself out'.

I have just done a speedtest.net and got this result back:

I have just done the other test and got this result

IP profile for your line is - 1500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 416 kbps(UP-STREAM) 2048 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1404 kbps

So looks like that reset I did last night worked. Do these results look better?
Old 27 January 2007, 12:40 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

That is odd as I am 1/2 mile from our Exchange and get this:

Old 27 January 2007, 12:41 PM
swampster
Scooby Regular

So looks like that reset I did last night worked. Do these results look better?
Well yes and no...

It's better in the fact that you will have better downloads now, equivalent to a 1.5Mb connection.

But like I said, your modem has resynch'd at a lower rate 2048kbs where it was 2880kbs.

A synch of 2048 will only get you a 1.5Mb BRAS profile, and it won't increase unless you resynch your router and hopefully it will manage a higher synch speed and be able to hold it. Whereas a 2880kbs synch will put you over the threshold for a 2.5Mb connection.

There's a table at the bottom of this page that tells you the IP profile (or BRAS profile) you will get in relation to your synch speed. If you reboot your home hub now during the daylight hours it will probably synch to a higher speed. Believe me.. there is a difference between resynching at day or night, especially if your line is quite flakey. However bear in mind if you synch higher during the day your line may drop at night!

If I were you.. on your line I would dump the BT Home Hub (they're notoriously crap) and buy a new router. Like I said the Thomson Speedtouch 575 is highly recommended for ADSLmax and holds onto the line like a limpet.
I bought one cheaply from here: http://www.dsldepot.co.uk/product_de...?idProduct=641

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
That is odd as I am 1/2 mile from our Exchange and get this:
What's odd about that?

Last edited by swampster; 27 January 2007 at 12:46 PM.
Old 27 January 2007, 03:02 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Just reset it and got this

DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 5856 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1399 kbps

No better

Well we have got a BT guy phoning us back within the next 30 mins.
Old 27 January 2007, 03:37 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Result.

They are going to send us a NEW hub in 3 to 5 working days, hopefully this will rectify our problem with our connection speeds etc, Noise on the phone and connection droping in and out....I hear famous last words comming along...watch this space.
Old 27 January 2007, 04:05 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

If I were you.. on your line I would dump the BT Home Hub (they're notoriously crap) and buy a new router. Like I said the Thomson Speedtouch 575 is highly recommended for ADSLmax and holds onto the line like a limpet.
I bought one cheaply from here: http://www.dsldepot.co.uk/product_de...?idProduct=641
its good that they are sending a new one but for best results....see above
Old 27 January 2007, 04:31 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

ADSL Nation On-Line Shop

one of thoose wouldn't hurt either

Old 27 January 2007, 05:46 PM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SC008Y_MAD
Just reset it and got this

DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 5856 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1399 kbps

No better

Well we have got a BT guy phoning us back within the next 30 mins.
Errr... that's miles better.
Whatever you do don't reset your router...
It does indeed look like you were still stuck within the initial training period, that's exactly the kind of behavoir I had.
But..

Your modem synch rate has jumped to 5856...
The IP profile is still pegged at 1500Mbs, but that's to be expected. You will have to wait for around 3 days. Although if BT are looking at it they may free up the IP profile earlier and you should get a nice 4.5Mb connection.

Still personally, I'd still bin the Home Hub, get one of those faceplates and a speedtouch.. and have a nice 5 or 5.5mb connection... depends if you think its worth it though.
Old 02 February 2007, 04:51 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

I got the new BT hub today. I have installed it and done a test. Now whether it still has to 'test the line' or not now, I don't know?

IP profile for your line is - 1000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 4928 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 922 kbps

Oh yeah, we STILL have the noise on the phone...its like you can hear the hub dailing.

This is starting to pi$$ me off.

Perhaps getting one of these http://www.dsldepot.co.uk/product_de...?idProduct=641 and ditch th home hub.

Quick Reply: BT broadband 8mb transfter rate