Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

FIREWIRE FIREWIRE HELP REQUIRED PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2007, 03:04 PM
GROWLER_GRRRR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FIREWIRE FIREWIRE HELP REQUIRED PLEASE

Hi there can any one give me the basics to transfering data from a camcorder via a firewire cable just need the basics , iv bought a card and lead do i need any soft ware ?
went to pc world and they didnt have a clue so any help would be good thanks a lot cannon mvx30i camcorder .
Old 23 January 2007, 03:18 PM
John@TunerUK
Scooby Regular

I think windows movie maker should be able to capture the footage. I use Pinnacle studio 9 plus myself, but I know that a friend uses Windows movie maker. It should be on your PC already if you're running Windows XP

Last edited by John@TunerUK; 23 January 2007 at 03:20 PM.
Old 23 January 2007, 03:20 PM
John@TunerUK
Scooby Regular

Yup,
Start Menu>All Programs>Accessories>Windows Movie Maker
Old 23 January 2007, 03:21 PM
GROWLER_GRRRR
Scooby Regular

Default ty

thanks for the reply i am using windows xp

how does it work you just run the cam throught the firewire cable to the card then capture in the movie maker ?

this sounds to easy let me know how to do this there is no infomation in the manual the camcorder is only a week old thanks for taking the time to reply .
Old 23 January 2007, 03:26 PM
John@TunerUK
Scooby Regular

Plug the camera in using the firewire cable. make sure it's powered up and set to VCR or playback mode. The PC should recognise that you've plugged it in and install the drivers required.
Next, open windows movie maker and click on 'Capture from video source'
Select your video camera from the list that appears, and choose your preferences from there
Old 23 January 2007, 03:29 PM
John@TunerUK
Scooby Regular

There are also some tips on how to use the movie maker in it's left hand menu
I did This video recently, as an example.

Last edited by John@TunerUK; 23 January 2007 at 03:31 PM.
Old 23 January 2007, 03:36 PM
GROWLER_GRRRR
Scooby Regular

Talking ty

thanks a lot for the info i think even i could manage this lol

watch this space thanks again .

Trending Topics

Old 23 January 2007, 03:45 PM
John@TunerUK
Scooby Regular

No problem. Once you've got the hang of it, you may find benefit in purchasing some decent software. You'll get a lot more versatility, and you'll be able to purchase new fades and effects. That said though, I do usually like to keep things simple. Fancy fades are alright, but I soon found that a simple fade in/out or straight cut to the next scene, flows a lot more smoothly than a fancy animation.
Old 23 January 2007, 04:41 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Well funy enough just been doing this today and realised how crap PCs are at it. Ive got 26mins of DV footage that I want to edit and burn onto DVD. Whilst my humble 867Mhz G4 powerbook with 768MB RAM handled it beautifully and in one pass but sadly no dvd burner to finalise I thought o well try it on the PC. Having bought a PCMCIA Firewire interface and hooked it up and using ulead studio everything worked until about 12 mins in and it just stopped capturing, then the program crashed trashing all my clips, had to restart as ulead just ground to a halt, still poor response after reboot, about to try again. Just a complete joke really. But as above it should be a straight forward process.
Old 23 January 2007, 04:55 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

You have to have the correct spec PC mate - if RAM is insufficient for e.g it cant buffer the incoming stream and will crash. Check minimum specs for your prog

I'm currently using a 100% 'Avid approved' £2k laptop for editing, with 'approved' drives/gfx cards etc and still get annoying 'audio hardware underun' errors - its pretty intense this video stuff! Also make sure you use NTFS HDD format as FAT has a filesize limit which you may be hitting...

Lots to go wrong/get wrong...
Old 23 January 2007, 05:00 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Diesel,

Yep understood, Ive got 1GB RAM, 128MB gfx card and NTFS but compared to an entry level 4 year old powerbook this lappy struggles like **** and it really is pi$$ poor.
Old 23 January 2007, 05:08 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GaryK
Diesel,

Yep understood, Ive got 1GB RAM, 128MB gfx card and NTFS but compared to an entry level 4 year old powerbook this lappy struggles like **** and it really is pi$$ poor.
Is it a P130

Avid insist on min 2Gb RAM for their programmes - what software you running?

D
Old 23 January 2007, 07:12 PM
John@TunerUK
Scooby Regular

I used to use an old AMD 1400+ with only 256Mb of 266Mhz RAM and that captured video just fine. It also ran Pinnacle Studio 9 plus.
My current PC has an AMD Venice 3000+ with 2GB of DDR2 RAM, with the same software. Not top of the line by any means, but it's far better for editing video.
As said above though, FAT32 limits your filesize to 4Gb as far as I'm aware.

Last edited by John@TunerUK; 23 January 2007 at 07:14 PM.
Old 23 January 2007, 08:06 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Its a centrino 1.7M and Im (trying) to run ulead video studio 8. It just cannot cope with it nor can windows movie maker. Like I said the point Im making is that a fairly decent laptop thats barely a year old cant even do what a 4 year old powerbook can.
Old 23 January 2007, 11:39 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

It may be running a lot of nonsense that slows it down. At the risk of a horrible answer I suggest you format the drive and re-install windows and some of its proprietary laptop software.

On a clean simple boot [no explorer, anti virus, messenger, flash/jave/aol/adobe updater etc etc running in background], I have edited all day today on a Pentium M 2.1Ghz HP, 128M GFX, 2Gb RAM and video running at 5:1 with up to 5 layers in real time & 6 tracks of audio. It runs 99% solid, so summat's up mate - not enough fruit in yer PC maybe Disable stuff you dont need in BIOS too - serial port/ethernet/CDRom whatever... I also created an all singing all dancing 'non-editing' boot profile so you I have all the toys or surf on the train

I realise I may be taking it a bit more seriously, but it does work fine...

D
Old 24 January 2007, 09:46 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Hey understood Diesel, off to buy some fruit for me PC!

Ive been trying to make excuses to buy a 24" imac and this is it now, £1900 might be an expensive solution but I bag the sexiest looking computer thats ever been made plus with the Intel dual core and parallels desktop I can run Win32 apps at a very reasonable speed.

Thanks for your advice though!

Gary
Old 25 January 2007, 12:21 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

You have gone to the dark side! On yer own head be it - still I hear girls love 'em
Old 25 January 2007, 12:28 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel
You have gone to the dark side! On yer own head be it - still I hear girls love 'em

wrong way round you mutt going to a pc from a mac is going to the dark side... enlightenment is when its the opposite

gary, 24" imac, fully loaded with memory etc, will just make you wanna go

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..whooooooooooooopp ppppeeeeeeee

all over again
Old 25 January 2007, 02:44 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Ooohhh! What colour is it Ton'

D
[Right clicking all day long - hours saved a week]
Old 25 January 2007, 03:28 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Ooohhh! What colour is it Ton'

D
[Right clicking all day long - hours saved a week]

why its white boy (said in southern drawl)

and me....right clicking all day long on a mighty mouse and double finger scrolling on a macbook ......NEXT !!!!!!
Old 26 January 2007, 05:28 AM
GROWLER_GRRRR
Scooby Regular

what the ferk you geeks on about! im still using a zx81 spectrum > for editing iv got my commadore 64 so there .
Old 26 January 2007, 07:41 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Ohhhh, light brown! I love light brown in a computer - or maybe its a dark beige
Old 26 January 2007, 08:28 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

LOL

Well ive been dipping my toe in the 'darkside' by owning a powerbook for 4 years.

Agreed Tony, it was a friends 24" (imac not **** btw! ) that I saw, after picking my jaw off the floor I thought I gotta have one!

Gary
Old 26 January 2007, 08:43 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

i was only joking as well, cos I know that you have had a mac for a while

just made me laugh about the darkside...isnt that what scoob drivers do when they move to an evo ???

Those 24" imac's are something special. I mean, deep down they are just the same as the 20" imac, a few tweeks here and there.its just the sheer scale of the unit, the clarity of the screen and watching movies on it (both dvd and ones that you have edited) is just bliss.

I wish I had the cash to get one myself, because it would certainly fit perfect at home, i just have to do with setting them up for clients

have fun (lucky barsteward)
Old 03 February 2007, 12:28 AM
GROWLER_GRRRR
Scooby Regular

thanks a lot for the help re the firewire and the da doing of da video capture > editing .

check out my video of my bike on the dyno this week .
follow the link -

YouTube - suzuki gsxr 1 k3

its my first attempt so be gentle , does the movie maker have a fade out fade in feature i couldnt find any tools other than delete parts of clips ... any help would be good thanks a ;lot .
Old 03 February 2007, 09:48 AM
John@TunerUK
Scooby Regular

On the left menu
Edit Movie>View Video Transitions
One of the options is 'Fade'. I think that may be what you're after
Old 03 February 2007, 01:02 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
i was only joking as well, cos I know that you have had a mac for a while

just made me laugh about the darkside...isnt that what scoob drivers do when they move to an evo ???

Those 24" imac's are something special. I mean, deep down they are just the same as the 20" imac, a few tweeks here and there.its just the sheer scale of the unit, the clarity of the screen and watching movies on it (both dvd and ones that you have edited) is just bliss.

I wish I had the cash to get one myself, because it would certainly fit perfect at home, i just have to do with setting them up for clients

have fun (lucky barsteward)
Cheers Tony I will, its arriving this week!, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD, 256MB Memory bought parallels as well so Im sorted.

Gary
Old 03 February 2007, 01:12 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Not sure what you lot are on about, but I've been using pcs to edit video for years and never had a problem. Now with firewire connections it's even easier. I can easily capture a whole tape with no dropouts in one go on my old laptop, and that's just a celeron with 1gb ram and a 5400rpm hard disk. heck I used to do this on an old Pentium 3 with 512mb ram, and it still worked ok.

Sure macs are good at doing this, but a decent pc is as well. I'm guessing you've got some clunky / dodgy hardware if you are experiencing dropouts during capture.
Old 03 February 2007, 02:51 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
Sure macs are good at doing this, but a decent pc is as well. I'm guessing you've got some clunky / dodgy hardware if you are experiencing dropouts during capture.
Well I was doing it on a lappy so *maybe* but its less than 12 months old, its a 1.7ghz centrino with 1GB RAM, firewire card, 100GB HD with about 50% free so not exactly an old dog.

The original point I was making is that my 4 year old 867Mhz G4 with 768MB RAM and 40GB HD with about 30% free just did it no fuss no bother.

O and this isnt crummy old vhs-c capture its mini-DV (not sure if the res is any different!).

It may well be down to the software, was using ulead and basically managed to crash it *everytime* I tried doing any capture. Didn't fare much better with Windows Movie Maker either.

Gary
Old 03 February 2007, 02:58 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GaryK
The original point I was making is that my 4 year old 867Mhz G4 with 768MB RAM and 40GB HD with about 30% free just did it no fuss no bother.
And the point I was making was that my 6 year old Pentium 3 machine with 512mb of ram will also do it with no bother.

The age of a machine has little or no relation to the quality of the components inside. I'm convinced this is one of the main reasons that some people have trouble with windows. The build quality of some pc desktops / laptops is not great, (even some of the mroe expensive ones), and this can have a detrimental affect on windows. Apple is lucky in that they produce all their own hardware, and so they can pretty much garauntee that osx will run well on it.

It may well be down to the software, was using ulead and basically managed to crash it *everytime* I tried doing any capture. Didn't fare much better with Windows Movie Maker either.
The Ulead software has a reputation for not exactly being very stable, although it used to be better than the Pinnacle stuff. I personally use Premiere Pro for everything and it's superb

Quick Reply: FIREWIRE FIREWIRE HELP REQUIRED PLEASE