Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

network project

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2007, 09:57 AM
minxy69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question network project

hey all need some advice. I am an it technician but dont actually deal in the networking side of things so when someone asks me a question i might just be able to get away with it!

Anyways one of my clients has a business which is based at 3 different sights. They have 3 directors who share one laptop as its never needed more than one director at a time. They currently have stmpbeamer running there mail (a cheap version of ms exchange server!) they have cisco routers at each of their sights. The laptop has the vpn client installed. what they want to do is be able to pick up their e-mails from anywhere in the world for instance and also transfer and pick up their files from the server whilst they are working at home and on the laptop abroad for e.g. I contacted stmpbeamer and the current version of their software doesnt allow them to have a web based mail sight. They have told me to upgrade the software which is a free download. Not a problem. However they are being slightly awkward in that they want to still be able to pick up their contacts and diraies etc through outlook. Can this be done with the current stmpbeamer or will they be better off buying ms exchange server and use terminal services to gain access to their files and folders etc.

Like i said before am quite technically minded but when it comes to networks I only know the basis of them.

Also if ms exchange was needed what other hardware/software would i need to make it work! ?

Thanks in advance
Old 19 January 2007, 10:31 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

There are plenty of companies who would be happy to come in and talk to you about this. I suggest you get someone in.
Old 19 January 2007, 11:10 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Look up ABS Computers, they are in Poole, off the high street.

James is a good chap but you don't get ought for nought!
Old 19 January 2007, 11:26 AM
minxy69
Scooby Regular

lol thanks i'm actually base din southampton but it'll be a good person to speak to
Old 19 January 2007, 04:43 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need someone to set you up a VPN server, unless the smtpbeamer can do IMAP?
Old 19 January 2007, 07:23 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

If you installed Exchange (2003) you could use Outlook Web Access from any remote location in the world and all the end users will need is access to the internet. Then logon via a web browser to OWA, they will then have access to anything that is in their mailbox i.e. Calendar, Contacts etc etc.
Obviously there are additional things to take into account depending on what’s already installed on your server(s)… OWA requires IIS for example.

If you also want to be able to access documents/data on your server from a remote location then you might want to consider Terminal Services, as you have already mentioned. Again depending on what’s already on your server(s) and what your routers can do you could setup a PPTP connection on the laptop which will connect to the office then once connected the user can use remote desktop (built into XP) or terminal services client to logon to the Terminal Server. Doing it this way the end user will be opening the document up on the server (which will be quicker) rather than trying to open it up across a VPN connection, which will grind it to a halt!

If you are running Outlook 2003 you can use Cached Exchange Mode which will basically allow the user to open Outlook and look at their Calendar, Contacts etc when they are not connected to the server.

Last edited by stiscooby; 19 January 2007 at 07:29 PM.
Old 19 January 2007, 10:20 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

I'd second exchange server for ease of access - it'll give you options for web access and Outlook over http which essentially will allow Outlook access over the internet as if you were in the office.

With regards to file access have you thought about something like Groove? It'll allow synchronisation of offline files with an online shared workspace.