Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Lowest cost genuine XP SP2?

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2007, 11:23 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lowest cost genuine XP SP2?

Where can I source the lowest cost genuine XP SP2? If I search the web I get prices like £199 from PC World and ebuyer has OEM versions for £61.

Can I simply buy an OEM version and use that?

It will be used on my MacBook under Parallels or Bootcamp.

PM me if necessary

TIA

Cheers,

Rannoch
Old 03 January 2007, 11:46 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

I am also interested in the answer to that question, so if you PM him, can you PM me too Ta muchly !
Old 03 January 2007, 11:55 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

I'll have a pm as well if anyone knows the answer
Old 04 January 2007, 12:12 AM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

usually to buy the oem editions they have to sell you random piece of hardware to keep it legal, but thats the cheapest way to buy a liegitimate copy yes ! Unless you know someone at Microsoft who has access to the MS shop
Old 04 January 2007, 12:18 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

That will be why it is £61, £60 for the OS and £1 for a chip ;

Thanks for your help
Old 04 January 2007, 02:08 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK

Now with FREE Vista Upgrade Coupon N09-02142- This new version replaces N09-01528. Buy Now with confidence
Old 04 January 2007, 07:52 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Thats for XP Home which I wouldnt recommend. The Vista 'upgrade' is worthless too...

Trending Topics

Old 04 January 2007, 09:32 AM
boomer
Scooby Senior

To be legal you need a “boxed” software product, which is what you buy from PC World for £200-£300 quid or a VLK version (volume licence, if you have lots of PCs).

OEM licenses are intended only for the hardware that they come with, and following some micky-taking a few years ago where people sold a mouse with an OEM licence, Microsoft now insist that it comes with substantial bit of hardware (e.g. motherboard and CPU).

If people are selling boxed XP for less than a couple of hundred quid, be very suspicious - it may fail to activate or Windows Genuine Advantage may decide that it is dodgy and force to to pay for a full licence!!!

mb
Old 04 January 2007, 12:01 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Thats for XP Home which I wouldnt recommend. The Vista 'upgrade' is worthless too...
the home user wouldn;t notice the difference
Old 04 January 2007, 12:06 PM
Nobbie
Scooby Regular

The Vista voucher is valid for both OEM, and Retail, The premis is 'legal copy'.

As you need a mouse to operate a computer i can sell you a mouse, and an oem copy.
Old 04 January 2007, 12:19 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nobbie
The Vista voucher is valid for both OEM, and Retail, The premis is 'legal copy'.

As you need a mouse to operate a computer i can sell you a mouse, and an oem copy.
Problem soved
Old 04 January 2007, 12:54 PM
Nobbie
Scooby Regular

TBH a Keyboard is more 'needed', that a mouse, but its only about £3 for one!
Old 04 January 2007, 01:16 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boomer
If people are selling boxed XP for less than a couple of hundred quid, be very suspicious - it may fail to activate or Windows Genuine Advantage may decide that it is dodgy and force to to pay for a full licence!!!

mb
I just got media centre edition 2005 boxed a few weeks ago for £60-£70 from microdirect.co.uk and that activated perfectly well first time and all updates work. As we all know mce 2005 is xp with a bit extra
Old 04 January 2007, 01:32 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why is the Vista upgade worthless GC8? Is it because the upgrade will be a nightmare and ruin everything making an unstable or underperforming system? Wondering if it is worth chasing it for a laptop I bought yesterday which has MCE 2005 with this upgrade, but the website to apply is giving me problems.

I previously bought XP SP1 OEM from the local cheapie computer shop for about £60 or 70 when buying a few bits and pieces. Registered and updated etc all fine.
Old 04 January 2007, 02:17 PM
Nobbie
Scooby Regular

The Vista upgrade voucher will cost you £15 p&P, if you worried about it you can install it as a dual boot first, like i've done.
That way if you don't like it, or its rubish, just don't use it!
Old 04 January 2007, 03:11 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I run Vista on my Laptop and it is slow, unreliable and memory intensive, if you have a P4 with about 2gb of RAM it may be ok, the other thing is that there are still loads of apps that you will have for your XP OS that will not run on vista, there are also a lot of driver issues with vista, I know that if you have a HP machine there are as far as I know still no vista drivers on our website. Some XP drivers work but are not 100% compatible.

Vista on my laptop with 1gb of ram is slow and keeps hanging with apps not responding for a while, it eventually catches up with itself but to a home user who is not computer literate it will be a nightmare.
Old 04 January 2007, 03:18 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Vista on my laptop (and desktop) is very quick (seems quicker than XP, especially at bootup / shutdown). Not had a single hang yet either. Seems really stable. I've also not found any apps yet that don't work on it, (all the stuff I use works ok). I'm sure there are some, but I've been impressed so far...
Old 04 January 2007, 03:27 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
I run Vista on my Laptop and it is slow, unreliable and memory intensive, if you have a P4 with about 2gb of RAM it may be ok, the other thing is that there are still loads of apps that you will have for your XP OS that will not run on vista, there are also a lot of driver issues with vista, I know that if you have a HP machine there are as far as I know still no vista drivers on our website. Some XP drivers work but are not 100% compatible.

Vista on my laptop with 1gb of ram is slow and keeps hanging with apps not responding for a while, it eventually catches up with itself but to a home user who is not computer literate it will be a nightmare.
Does it need a remap
Old 04 January 2007, 03:31 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boomer
To be legal you need a “boxed” software product, which is what you buy from PC World for £200-£300 quid or a VLK version (volume licence, if you have lots of PCs).

OEM licenses are intended only for the hardware that they come with, and following some micky-taking a few years ago where people sold a mouse with an OEM licence, Microsoft now insist that it comes with substantial bit of hardware (e.g. motherboard and CPU).

mb
Where does it say that for it to be legal it has to be 'boxed'. When I bought Office SBE upgrade direct from Microsoft I got a CD in a plastic sleeve. No box in sight!!

It does have to be a holographed disc with a valid activation key.

There are lots of leading web retailers selling OEM XP with keyboards or mice.

Oh, well it's only £50

PS Anyway with the way the sales are going it might be cheaper for me to buy the whole PC and get a full OS and loadset for free!
Old 04 January 2007, 03:51 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Rannoch
Does it need a remap
now there's a thought
Old 04 January 2007, 04:02 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I think I'll stick with XP as the last thing I want to have is driver (pun intended) issues when reflashing ECUs.
Old 04 January 2007, 10:39 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Rannoch
Where does it say that for it to be legal it has to be 'boxed'. When I bought Office SBE upgrade direct from Microsoft I got a CD in a plastic sleeve. No box in sight!!
"boxed" is just a term that Microsoft use to describe one of it's software licensing options - see Microsoft Product Activation for a comparison of the three methods i mentioned above (and their activation).

You might also want to read the last FAQ at XP on a mouse to decide whether the OEM version that you intend buying will be legitimate! After all, your original question was for "genuine XP", and not something that just happens to work (for now)

mb
Old 04 January 2007, 11:02 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
Why is the Vista upgade worthless GC8? Is it because the upgrade will be a nightmare and ruin everything making an unstable or underperforming system? Wondering if it is worth chasing it for a laptop I bought yesterday which has MCE 2005 with this upgrade, but the website to apply is giving me problems.

I previously bought XP SP1 OEM from the local cheapie computer shop for about £60 or 70 when buying a few bits and pieces. Registered and updated etc all fine.
'Worthless' because of this addendum John: "PLEASE NOTE: This voucher is ONLY valid if the software is Pre-Installed on a fully built system".

Pimmo: being a monkey in a call centre (notice the spelling?) doesnt make you an expert. Youre a know-it-all little bollocks.
Old 05 January 2007, 11:16 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

You could buy an 'action pack' current price is 260+VAT and it gives you XP pro + Win2003 Server plus a whole boatload of other stuff, I did it way back with Win2K and got office 2k sql server 2k exchange everything for £200. And of course its all completely legit.

https://partner.microsoft.com/UK/40013779
Old 05 January 2007, 11:49 AM
cong
Scooby Regular

here you go vista brand new from £64
Software » Operating Systems - Overclockers UK
Old 05 January 2007, 12:36 PM
Nobbie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
'Worthless' because of this addendum John: "PLEASE NOTE: This voucher is ONLY valid if the software is Pre-Installed on a fully built system".

Pimmo: being a monkey in a call centre (notice the spelling?) doesnt make you an expert. Youre a know-it-all little bollocks.

Think you'll find "Pre-Installed" is the same as "OEM", "OEM" is used to "Pre-Install" a new PC. To qualify for an "OEM" copy you need to be selling/buying a qualified component.

"OEM OS sold separately.

Another way in which a user can obtain an OEM copy of Windows is by simply purchasing it from a vendor. The vendor must still follow the “sellers” EULA when selling a single copy of the OS. The EULA states the vendor must sell the OS bundled with a “non-peripheral component” that is “essential” to running the PC. Microsoft has a FAQ on this as well:

Quoted from Microsoft's OEM Builder FAQs:

"Q. The current System Builder license states that I may distribute an operating system license with a "non-peripheral hardware component". What hardware components are considered "non-peripheral"?

A. A non-peripheral hardware component is a hardware component that is considered to be essential to running a computer system, and includes components such as memory, internal devices and drives, mice, keyboards, and power supplies. Examples of components that are not considered essential are external modems, networking devices, cameras, printers, and scanners. "

Also

"Back-up Copy. YOU MAY MAKE A SINGLE BACK-UP COPY OF THE SOFTWARE. YOU MAY USE ONE (1) BACK-UP COPY SOLELY FOR YOUR ARCHIVAL PURPOSES AND TO REINSTALL THE SOFTWARE ON THE COMPUTER. EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY PROVIDED IN THIS EULA OR BY LOCAL LAW, YOU MAY NOT OTHERWISE MAKE COPIES OF THE SOFTWARE, INCLUDING THE PRINTED MATERIALS ACCOMPANYING THE SOFTWARE. YOU MAY NOT LOAN, RENT, LEASE, LEND OR OTHERWISE TRANSFER THE CD OR BACK-UP COPY TO ANOTHER USER"

It pays to read EULA's for Microsofts licencing, in particular OEM, and System Builders.
Old 05 January 2007, 06:11 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Nobbie; I disagree. That Scan see fit to highlight the addendum in red is a clue surely? Especially when you consider that they regularly sell OEM OSs with small pieces of kit in order that they dont fall foul of MSs OEM software reseller guidelines.....
Old 05 January 2007, 11:06 PM
Nobbie
Scooby Regular

I think there are two arguments here.

OEM can be sold to people with just a keyboard, which is in line with ms licencing, and hence legal, and should get you a vista upgrade voucher.

The Vista upgrade voucher is dependant on what the reseller is offering, as at the moment there is no offical line from MS.

Some resellers are

Dell
"Dell will participate in Microsoft's Express Upgrade to Microsoft Vista programme and with Dell's Express Upgrade programme consumer and small business customers will easily be able to redeem their upgrade to Vista on select desktops and notebooks purchased between Oct 26 and March 15 2007. Dell-specific tools shipped with the upgrade will help customers easily install Vista when it becomes available."

HP
"From today there are two upgrade paths. From XP home to Vista basic will cost a royalty payment and shipping costs. For people buying media centres it will be a royalty-free upgrade."

PC World (eughhhhh)
"PC World is offering upgrades for anyone buying a computer costing more than £399. From yesterday until 15 March 2007 any machine costing more than £399 will get a free upgrade to Vista Basic Home Edition. Machines below this price will get upgrades for half the recommended retail price."

MS have now made a page, Windows Vista: Express Upgrade.

It looks like its aimed at manufacturers and PC's, but also talks about PC builders, which would be OEM. TBH i don;t think there is a 100% right answer at the moment. Maybe now that MS have properly released it they'll tell us UK OEM partners exactly whats what.
Old 07 January 2007, 12:23 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nobbie
Think you'll find "Pre-Installed" is the same as "OEM", "OEM" is used to "Pre-Install" a new PC. To qualify for an "OEM" copy you need to be selling/buying a qualified component.

"OEM OS sold separately.

Another way in which a user can obtain an OEM copy of Windows is by simply purchasing it from a vendor. The vendor must still follow the “sellers” EULA when selling a single copy of the OS. The EULA states the vendor must sell the OS bundled with a “non-peripheral component” that is “essential” to running the PC. Microsoft has a FAQ on this as well:

Quoted from Microsoft's OEM Builder FAQs:

"Q. The current System Builder license states that I may distribute an operating system license with a "non-peripheral hardware component". What hardware components are considered "non-peripheral"?

A. A non-peripheral hardware component is a hardware component that is considered to be essential to running a computer system, and includes components such as memory, internal devices and drives, mice, keyboards, and power supplies. Examples of components that are not considered essential are external modems, networking devices, cameras, printers, and scanners. "

Also

"Back-up Copy. YOU MAY MAKE A SINGLE BACK-UP COPY OF THE SOFTWARE. YOU MAY USE ONE (1) BACK-UP COPY SOLELY FOR YOUR ARCHIVAL PURPOSES AND TO REINSTALL THE SOFTWARE ON THE COMPUTER. EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY PROVIDED IN THIS EULA OR BY LOCAL LAW, YOU MAY NOT OTHERWISE MAKE COPIES OF THE SOFTWARE, INCLUDING THE PRINTED MATERIALS ACCOMPANYING THE SOFTWARE. YOU MAY NOT LOAN, RENT, LEASE, LEND OR OTHERWISE TRANSFER THE CD OR BACK-UP COPY TO ANOTHER USER"

It pays to read EULA's for Microsofts licencing, in particular OEM, and System Builders.
That is what my vendor quoted for his offer - XP SP2 plus PS/2 Mouse - £56 incl VAT.

Interestingly OEM Office could only be sold with motherboard, CPU or HDD, NOT Mouse or Keyboard.

Not sure what the difference is - but the distinction was made.

In terms of buying the 'pack' not necessary as I only want to run basic Windows on my Mac for a small number of applications
Old 16 January 2007, 07:55 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

A quick update.

My £56 version of XP has now been installed under Parallels on my Mac and verified and authenticated by Microsoft, just as my vendor said it would be!

It's very groovy having two PCs in one box!

Rannoch

Quick Reply: Lowest cost genuine XP SP2?