Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

New PC Build

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2007, 04:06 PM
chromedome77
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New PC Build

First of all Hi everyone.

I'm thinking of building myself a new PC as my current one is 4 years old and getting a bit flakey. I'm not sure what spec to go for though.

It'll be used for a few games (splinter cell type of stuff) a bit of 3D CAD and video editing as well as the usuall Word, Excell, Email, Web etc. I'm thinking of spending about £600 but like I say not sure what to go for (processor, HDD, MOBO, graphics card). I've got CD and DVD writers in my current machine and was thinking of using them.

Any ideas and suggestions are most welcome.
Old 03 January 2007, 04:34 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Seriously, try reinstalling WinXP and adding a bit more memory. Each time I do this I'm surprised how much more stable and faster my PC runs.

Although Splinter Cell does push my IBM XT with 2TB of RAM and a 10Mb Winchester disk
Old 04 January 2007, 02:11 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by James Neill
Seriously, try reinstalling WinXP and adding a bit more memory. Each time I do this I'm surprised how much more stable and faster my PC runs.

Although Splinter Cell does push my IBM XT with 2TB of RAM and a 10Mb Winchester disk
2 TB... er...

Have a look at Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK for some price guide and once you decide a price go form there
Old 04 January 2007, 07:44 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by James Neill

Converting from an MFM/RLL fixed disk to the newer AT-X type 30MB disk (with controller) will work wonders!
Old 08 January 2007, 03:43 PM
chromedome77
Scooby Newbie

I've decided to go down the new build route so you opinions/comments on this spec are welcome.

Asus P5VD2-MX motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4G processor
1G PC6400 DDR2 800
320G Sata 2
GeForce FX7600GS 512M Asus P5VD2-MX motherboard

I've been advised to swop the single 320G HD for 2x 160G and stripe them but I don't really know how this will benefit me. I can get the bits for ~£550 from Scan.
Old 08 January 2007, 04:05 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chromedome77
I've decided to go down the new build route so you opinions/comments on this spec are welcome.

Asus P5VD2-MX motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4G processor
1G PC6400 DDR2 800
320G Sata 2
GeForce FX7600GS 512M Asus P5VD2-MX motherboard

I've been advised to swop the single 320G HD for 2x 160G and stripe them but I don't really know how this will benefit me. I can get the bits for ~£550 from Scan.

I would drop the processor down to a E6400. This will be plenty for now, and it gets you on the ladder.

Go for an MSI 965P NEO MoBo

Up the ram to 2GB PC6400

250GB SATA2

7950GT 512MB Gfx card.

Don't forget you'll need a new PSU to power it all, and you won't want a cheap and nasty job. Something like a Hiper 4B580 - 580W will do nicely.

That lot will cost your around £650.
Old 08 January 2007, 04:59 PM
chromedome77
Scooby Newbie

Cheers Pete

Sorry for the stupid questions but this is the first time I've really got technical about component specs!

Is the choice of MoBo important?

Will the difference in the two graphics cards be noticble for the ~£80 price increase?

Is it worth having 2 smaller SATA drives striped? I notice you recommended one larger capacity drive. What advantage (if any) does striping give?

I've only looked on Scan for prices, is there anywhere else worth a look?

Thanks for the advice

Ian

Trending Topics

Old 08 January 2007, 08:56 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chromedome77
Cheers Pete

Sorry for the stupid questions but this is the first time I've really got technical about component specs!

Is the choice of MoBo important?

Will the difference in the two graphics cards be noticble for the ~£80 price increase?

Is it worth having 2 smaller SATA drives striped? I notice you recommended one larger capacity drive. What advantage (if any) does striping give?

I've only looked on Scan for prices, is there anywhere else worth a look?

Thanks for the advice

Ian

To take your points in order...

When it comes to choice of MoBo it can be important for a few reasons.

-How future proof is it? (will you need a new mobo when you replace your processor)
-Do you want to go down the SLI/Crossfire route (i.e. multiple graphics cards)

The mobo I pointed you too is fast and reliable, but only has one X16 PCI-Express slot, meaning it will only take one graphics card. However, you are on a budget and are unlikely to need SLI/Crossfire, and those mobo's are more expensive by around £40-£50.

-With regards to the graphics cards, the short answer is yes. you will be future proofing yourself to a certain extent - Games rely far more on the Graphics card than the processor (up to a point anyway) and you will gain far more through spending the extra on the GFX card, than spending it on the Processor (hence the reason I dropped from a E6600 to a E6400).

Take a look here..

Tom's Hardware Guide Processors: VGA Charts

The two blue bars are the ones to look at - Running Oblivion at 1280X1024, the 7600GS will run at 36fps approx, the 7950GT will give you 90fps. That's a massive leap, far more than a E6600 over a E6400 would give you. as shown here...

Tom's Hardware Guide Processors: CPU Charts 2005/2006

A E6600 gives only a 8 fps improvement over a E6400 running FEAR.

-Striping drives, there is an element of protection eith a RAID array, if one drive fails you always have a back up. However, drives are pretty reliable these days and any improvment in speed and access times are now reducing given the access times of SATA 2 drives. If you can afford it , by all means stripe them, but it is not a necessity.

I always shop at Overclockers UK they have always been cheap and relibale for me. Others are
dabs.com - PC Hardware, Components, Software, Digital Cameras, MP3 Players
Computer Supplies from Novatech
ebuyer.com - the UK's largest independent online retailer of computers, components, electronics, MP3 Players,cameras, televisions, DVD Players, car audio, software and more...