Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Dell Laptop Failure - Service Centres?

Search this Thread

Old 31 December 2006, 11:42 AM
scoobie elf
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dell Laptop Failure - Service Centres?

It appears that the backlight in my dell laptop has failed. The computer is still under warranty. Does anyone know if I will have to send it back to Ireland for this to be replaced or do they have local service centres (in particular in the Manchester area).

Thanks
Old 31 December 2006, 12:13 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Phone dell, they will get you sorted asap, it may have to go back to ireland, but they will do it all for you. the other half has had 3 replacement dvd drives for her lappy, all by 2 day courier service. cant fault them on service really

Mart
Old 31 December 2006, 02:08 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

with mine, when my hardrive died, they came out and fitted a new one next day ! Fantastic service
Old 31 December 2006, 05:28 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

It all boils down to the level of support your purchased.

The base warranty is 1 year CAR (Collect and Return) all the way up to 5 year NBD (Next Business Day). Just call them and ask.

Darren
Old 31 December 2006, 06:29 PM
Davey P
Scooby Regular

Dell has brillaint customer service. Give them a call and they will sort you out.
Old 01 January 2007, 10:17 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

agreed about the warrantee type - get the best you can afford. The basic one, is VERY slow to act on, and they couldn't give a t0ss (IMHO) - my mate had it and the mouse pad came off inside the machine. Took them over a month to sort out a simple repair - the laptop was 5 days old

Don't get me started on their p1ss-poor customer service - they're not worth calling.

Might be different if you've purchased the higher grade of warrantee though.

Thankfully, it wasn't my laptop - I certainly wouldn't entertain buying from them. Just glorified box-shifters

Dan
Old 01 January 2007, 10:37 AM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Dan, the problem your mate had was because the laptop was under 30 days old.

If he had had the laptop for more than 30 days, Tech Support would have issued the part and engineer NBD (assuming this is the level he purchased). As the laptop was under 30 days old, the 'fix' has to be arranged by Customer Services and they are not bound by the Tech Support Levels. Does that make sense?

It's stupid and I agree. I had a server delivered once and it had a large dent in the bottom of the unit. I had to build the server ASAP so I put it in the rack with the dent. I then called Tech support and requested a new chassis.

It took 1 month of constant arguing to agree to get a new chassis sent out. Dell wanted me to return the whole server at cost to me. Courier fees would have been £100's. This server was on a 4hr onsite fix.

Darren

Trending Topics

Old 01 January 2007, 10:40 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Davey P
Dell has brillaint customer service. Give them a call and they will sort you out.
NO. Absolutely not true. Dell has variable customer service.

If the problem you have is one that their call centre staff can identify by reading their pre-programmed script, then yes, it's pretty good. For something like an obviously broken display, you may get lucky. They collected, repaired and returned my laptop - also with a display fault - within a few days. Very efficient, and credit where it's due.

Try to get them off script, though, and you're in for a world of hurt. I had a GPRS card supplied (but not actually manufacture) by Dell which failed, and I wasted several hours of my life on the phone with their Indian call centre trying to make them understand that under UK law it's the supplier's responsibility to replace it and not the manufacturer's. They wanted me to ship it at my own expense to the manufacturer in the USA, which is an illegal request under UK consumer protection law.

In the end I'm ashamed to say I gave up - it wasn't worth the stress for a product worth £80. I can only hope I've cost Dell more than £80 in lost business by telling people about my experience.