Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Nvidia GeForce 7950GT graphics card and a sony KDL-S26A12U HD LCD TV

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2006, 10:09 PM
MikeyN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nvidia GeForce 7950GT graphics card and a sony KDL-S26A12U HD LCD TV

Hi all,

Using the above graphics card (512MB) to the above tv can anyone invisage any problems I may encounter?

I will be connecting the graphics card via one of it's two DVI-I outputs to a DVI-A cable that in turn terminates in a VGA connector which then plugs straight into the PC 15 PIN VGA (D SUB) connector on the rear of the TV set; using a DVI-A to VGA CABLE.

The maximum resolution of the TV is WXGA 1280 x 768 at a horizontal frequency of 47.78 khz and a recommended vertical frequency of 60 hz, and the max resolution of the graphics card is 2048 X 1536 would this cause any issues?

The tv will be the sole output I will be using from the pc for everyday tasks as well as surfing the web, watching dvd's through the pc as well as playing games. Can anyone see a problem with this? If so what would you suggest doing an alternate connection method or just using a straight forward monitor designed for a pc?

By the way just in case I also have a spare s-video input on my tv, a spare HDMI input on my tv along with spare component inputs.

Many thanks for any responses I may get, and may I also take this opportunity to wish everyone on Scoobynet a Happy New Year.

Regards

Mike Nolan
Old 30 December 2006, 10:18 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Not an expert by any stretch but I would have thought you'd be better doing DVI -> HDMI ?

Sounds a nice setup though, let us know how it goes...
Old 30 December 2006, 10:23 PM
MikeyN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HankScorpio
Not an expert by any stretch but I would have thought you'd be better doing DVI -> HDMI ?

Sounds a nice setup though, let us know how it goes...
Could do and also thought of that as it would keep the whole signal digital opposed to analogue as in my above suggested set-up, but i loose a whole whost of features offered by the tv menu options by using the HDMI input as opposed to the dedicated PC input as I can adjust the picture settings on the tv when the signal is inputted through the pc socket but if I were to use the HDMI socket only the normal adjustments you can make on a tv could be done - the changes I would loose are similar to that you would get in the menu options on a normal computer monitor, ie brightness, position L,R, up and down and in and out.

Also if poss I would like to save this inout for a PS3 as and when they arrive.
Old 30 December 2006, 10:54 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would have thought the more cables and connections the lower the quality, maybe not so you could tell though.

I've got that card and it is quite good
Old 31 December 2006, 02:55 PM
MikeyN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
I would have thought the more cables and connections the lower the quality, maybe not so you could tell though.

I've got that card and it is quite good
Hi there,

Seem as you have this graphics card at present what cable have you used to connect it to a monitor? and also what type of mointor are you using a computer monitor, plasma or LCD? and finally what were the results like with the configuration you are using?

Many thanks for your time

Mike
Old 31 December 2006, 02:59 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyN
Hi there,

Seem as you have this graphics card at present what cable have you used to connect it to a monitor? and also what type of mointor are you using a computer monitor, plasma or LCD? and finally what were the results like with the configuration you are using?

Many thanks for your time

Mike
Sadly I dont have the ability to test real HDTV and I only use the standard VGA on a CRT monitor. But its plays games really well