Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

TomTom one for playing video?

Search this Thread

Old 24 December 2006, 09:27 PM
Mr.Manchester
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TomTom one for playing video?

Am i crazy?

Im buying a tomtom one this week, I was browsing the interweb looking for some kind of online demonstration and strolled upon this...

YouTube - Tomtom one playing video

Is anyone else using theres for this? if so how is it done?
Old 24 December 2006, 10:03 PM
Mr.Manchester
Scooby Regular

Found a little info in a PDF: http://mobilnov.u24.steelpixel.com/d...UserManual.pdf

Anyone actually done it though?
Old 24 December 2006, 10:37 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Not done it but media center tomtom - Google Search
Old 30 December 2006, 08:50 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Must admitt that really is well smart !! anyone else doing similar with there sat nav systmn ??

short clips or whole films compressed onto your memory card, wonder just what it will actually play ??
Old 31 December 2006, 04:55 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Ah well I thought it was cool anyway !!!
Old 31 December 2006, 05:15 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

with the right s/w an average 1 1/2 film (the mummy) can fit on a 256 mb memory card

this will play in full landscape mode on my dell axim x3

Mart
Old 31 December 2006, 06:16 PM
Mr.Manchester
Scooby Regular

Id like to do it to mine but i dont want to screw it up!

Trending Topics

Old 31 December 2006, 06:20 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr.Manchester
Id like to do it to mine but i dont want to screw it up!

Cant see how it would screw the actual unit up as the software is surely going on the memory card itself ??
Old 31 December 2006, 07:13 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jono300
Cant see how it would screw the actual unit up as the software is surely going on the memory card itself ??
the film s/w is, but the media stuff isnt. you need to alter the firmaware in the TT to bring up/ install the media apps

some of the early medion / transonic units were quite hospitable to this tweak.

get it wrong, and you run the risk of bricking your unit if i recall

Mart
Old 31 December 2006, 08:17 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
the film s/w is, but the media stuff isnt. you need to alter the firmaware in the TT to bring up/ install the media apps

some of the early medion / transonic units were quite hospitable to this tweak.

get it wrong, and you run the risk of bricking your unit if i recall

Mart
Okay sorry my mistake did not realise this, bit like changing the firmware on psp`s there is always that chance off it becomming just an expensive paperweight !!
Old 01 January 2007, 02:40 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Okay sorry my mistake did not realise this, bit like changing the firmware on psp`s there is always that chance off it becomming just an expensive paperweight !!
Please check it out, it may have changed since i last looked, but i recall that when people were doiing it to the medion/transonic units, it voided th warranty to satrt with, and then you ran the risk of bricking it. It may be a better & less risky process now

Mart
Old 28 February 2007, 09:18 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Any updates on this subject ??

just waitting on my tomtom one v2 to arrive and am still kinda keem to install the neccesary software to allow films etc to be played thru it, belive the best software for this purpose just now is known as the makayama programme.

just require a bit more info before going ahead installing it !!!

wonder if anyone can advise me regards the speed camera database which comes installed on the ttone, what is involved in replacing it with the pocketsgps version ??
Old 28 February 2007, 09:44 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Cool, you're kidding, making a navigation system play some poxy video. How can that be cool. It's like having a light sabre and lighting cigarettes with it.
Old 01 March 2007, 04:19 PM
Mr.Manchester
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Cool, you're kidding, making a navigation system play some poxy video. How can that be cool. It's like having a light sabre and lighting cigarettes with it.
Think about it.

Most people who use satnav are on the road all day, when the actual nav isnt in use or your parked up you can watch a movie etc, thats actually very cool
Old 01 March 2007, 05:19 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

ive just downloaded it from torrentspy. ile install it later and let you know how i get on
Old 01 March 2007, 06:00 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

No probs mate yep let me know how you get on with it, is it a TOMTOM one you have ??

drop me a pm if you want, bit off info for you re the software.
Old 01 March 2007, 06:57 PM
Mr.Manchester
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shaggy1973
ive just downloaded it from torrentspy. ile install it later and let you know how i get on
Downloaded what mate? something to make it play movies or tomtom its self?
Old 01 March 2007, 07:21 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll be up for giving this a go, if someone could point me in the right direction.
thanks
Old 01 March 2007, 07:51 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joey_turbo
I'll be up for giving this a go, if someone could point me in the right direction.
thanks

Okay am only adding the following info taken from another internet source for the benefit off anyone who wants to have a go themselves with this software, have personally not tried it and am still slighly wary off adding it to my brand new TTone as it does involve a firmware downgrade although have since read elsewhere that there is infact a way round not having to downgrade your firmware so maybe best to contact the software makers themslves if unsure.

okay the software site is :

MobilNova - Media Center for TomTom. Watch videos, movies, films on your TomTom device

Download the trial version from the above site , if you encode the videos yourself once you have downloaded the trial version and connected your TT unit for it to upload the media centre too there is actually no need to give away any money.

its the software on your pc that has the time limitation not the player that you have uploaded to your TT unit.

believe Total video converter and tmpenca nd are two very good video converters, not entirely sure off a source off these particular programmes but sure if you look hard enough you may just come across them ??!!

Now knowing this above trick I would certainly prefer to use this method rather than d/load any torrent especially as again it possibly does require a firmware downgrade on your unit.

have heard a few mixed results but from the follow up to the above source it would appaer this particular software with the adition off any off the above mentioned video converters does produce some very good results !!

Always back up your original software first thou.

whos first then ???!!!!
Old 01 March 2007, 09:41 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

mines a tt go 300, i downloaded the media player for it, followed the instructions, and then installed a video converter for it on my pc and tried it. it didnt work. lol

ive just re-installed it and it works fine now just need a bigger memory card now. hth
Old 01 March 2007, 10:11 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shaggy1973
mines a tt go 300, i downloaded the media player for it, followed the instructions, and then installed a video converter for it on my pc and tried it. it didnt work. lol

ive just re-installed it and it works fine now just need a bigger memory card now. hth
Okay thanks for the update mate glad to hear you have it all working !!

couple off things ??

did you have to downgrade thbe firmware on your tt go 300 ?? poss not with it being a slighty older model ??

did you use the d/load from the official site or did you " obtain " it ??!!

what video converter did you use ??

any tips why it did not work the first time just so that I know what to look out for when I install it ??

lastly !! whats the sound like - loud enough ?? any sync problems ??

any advice on the above would be great mate as I say just a bit wary off going ahead and installing the software but I suppose if I back up everything then dont suppose there could be too many probs ??
Old 01 March 2007, 10:23 PM
Mr.Manchester
Scooby Regular

I think im going to buy a spare SD card, transfer tomtom onto that and try it, so the original is safe and i can just put it back in my tomtom one.
Old 01 March 2007, 11:36 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

I think im going to buy a spare SD card, transfer tomtom onto that and try it, so the original is safe and i can just put it back in my tomtom one.

Worth a read off the forum sections in the link I gave earlier seems us tomtom one owners require the very latest update version off this software- worth a read anyway.
slight change off subject !!

just got my TT one today, I see there are TOMTOM own speed cams on there, how do they compare to the ones on the pocketsgps world site ??

must admitt over the moon with the unit itself it really is very smart, just need to find a neat case to carry it in when its not in use !!
Old 02 March 2007, 05:16 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Okay thanks for the update mate glad to hear you have it all working !!

couple off things ??

did you have to downgrade thbe firmware on your tt go 300 ?? poss not with it being a slighty older model ?? = No mate.

did you use the d/load from the official site or did you " obtain " it ??!! = torrentspy so for free.

what video converter did you use ?? = if you search for tomtom media on torrentspy it brings the one up i downloaded, it includes a video converter called Allok converter??

any tips why it did not work the first time just so that I know what to look out for when I install it ?? = not a clue? just did the same thing twice as far as i can see.

lastly !! whats the sound like - loud enough ?? any sync problems ?? = its ok, heh it wasnt built for videos lol

any advice on the above would be great mate as I say just a bit wary off going ahead and installing the software but I suppose if I back up everything then dont suppose there could be too many probs ??
Old 03 March 2007, 06:19 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Am i crazy?

Im buying a tomtom one this week, I was browsing the interweb looking for some kind of online demonstration and strolled upon this...

YouTube - Tomtom one playing video

Is anyone else using theres for this? if so how is it done?
Anyone know where I can d/load this particular clip ??

ready to install the software just waitting on another sd card arriving to put everything on.

anyone else here watching films thru there sat nav unit ??
Old 03 March 2007, 09:12 PM
Mr.Manchester
Scooby Regular

just got my TT one today, I see there are TOMTOM own speed cams on there, how do they compare to the ones on the pocketsgps world site ??
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I did this with my unit when i first bought it, after installing there cameras the unit would not turn on, it died completely.

Tomtom would not transfer there camera database over to the new unit unless i sent the reciept and serial of both units to germany!

i lost my £20 and told them to shove it in the end.
Old 19 March 2007, 09:41 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay guys just a quick update on this subject off playing films etc on your TOMTOM unit, downloaded the trial version off this software from the above site and played around with it for a few days, you can use the trial version for as long as you like but you only get a max off 3 minutes conversion time / 3 minutes media player on each clip, the overall performance of the software was so good I bought the company !!! nope instead I paid my 30 euros and got the full version.

having just converted a few films over to the required video formatt ( all easy enough using the inbuilt software )that the media player recognises and then installed onto the TOMTOM unit itself I can only say again the performance is amazing, dont care what anyone says regards leave playing films to portable dvd players etc and that the sat nav systmns should be left to this purpose only if you own a TT then at least have a go off the trial version , there is no firmware downgrade off the unit itself, the software will still play in conjunction with the very latest TT 6.???

the old story no I am not connected with the company !!! just amazed at what my new TT one v2 can now achive and at least it keeps the kids quiet in the car when the sat nav software itself is not being used that is - which is probably about 99% off all my car journeys !!!!

p.s sorry regards the last thread on TOMTOM speed cam database I think its generally accepted that the pocketsgps site version is far superior to TOMTOM`s own cam database, its one off the things I intend to do as soon as I have stopped watching films etc on the thing that is !!!!!!!!!
Old 24 April 2007, 09:20 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Just done this now. Its pretty good. Anyone know the video settings if I was to use a better video converter?