Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Newnet ADSL - Impressed

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2006, 08:13 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Newnet ADSL - Impressed

Recently left V21 after the Netservices fiasco.
My cease went through at about midnight on the 1st Dec. Registered with Newnet at 00:10 on Saturday and now up and running @ 8mbps (variable max streaming) for £11.95 a month - up to 3gb month (if exceeded, extra £2.77 extra takes you to 7gb)

I actually reckon the Newnet service was available the next day but couldn't get near configuring the router till now.

Some good feedback already on ispreview and I'll be adding to it shortly
Old 04 December 2006, 08:57 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How are your speeds dloading from US sites, like Welcome - Ubuntu: Linux for human beings ? Try a northern US Link for us ta.
Old 04 December 2006, 09:02 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

I'll keep an eye on these...might be an option.

If speeds are good and connection reliable then coupled with the 1 month contract it looks a great deal.
Old 04 December 2006, 09:15 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
How are your speeds dloading from US sites, like Welcome - Ubuntu: Linux for human beings ? Try a northern US Link for us ta.
I'll give it a go. I know for the first 10 days the max streaming is all over the place till the service settles down.
Old 04 December 2006, 09:23 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

I only managed a steady 40 kb/s - like I said, first day on the Max streaming and through my 834DGT on a low signal strength @ 12Mbps.

Should I tweak the 834DGT to help with the download speed?
Old 04 December 2006, 10:43 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

See error below from the BT speed test.

I wonder if my service is fully connected? Newnet did say it would probably be the 9th before reconnection - Newnet password and config for router works fine though..

Unexpected result received when querying the network to find your services connection details. Please try again shortly, but if this problem persists raise the issue with your service provider.
Old 06 December 2006, 12:20 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Angry

Originally Posted by **************
I just tried downloading from there and it was slow, started off about 150kb/s but slowed continually to 100kb/s before I cancelled the download.

Why are you using them as a test?
mmmmmmm not good. Because the sites are very fast, mostly EDU's. So it's a good way to test speeds across the ocean, transit performance etc. I get the same poor performance. However if you try the test late at night, performance increases dramatically. Its not my exchange either, as the VP is green.

Btw try the test from a UK site, it will max your line I bet.

To me this highlights that NN has routing issues to the States, as I'm seeing the same kind of speeds from any US sites, and some European ones to.

Basically even -net was faster than I'm currently experiencing from the same sites. So I have a ticket open atm about this, if it doesnt improve I'll be off again. Don't know who to thou :/
Old 06 December 2006, 12:23 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kevin Groat
See error below from the BT speed test.

I wonder if my service is fully connected? Newnet did say it would probably be the 9th before reconnection - Newnet password and config for router works fine though..

Unexpected result received when querying the network to find your services connection details. Please try again shortly, but if this problem persists raise the issue with your service provider.
Connection details sbe youruserID@adsl.newnet.co.uk

If u did the above right, then that's a normal response, basically means the BT tester is sh1te, well busy Keep trying or use this one, Namesco BroadbandMax ADSL Broadband Bandwidth speedtest | Test your ADSL Broadband connection speed
Old 06 December 2006, 07:53 AM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

My details are fine. I read some other threads on ISPReview last night where other folk were also having problems with the BT speedtester, I'll give the other one a go tonight.

I did get an email from Newnet CS last night saying my connection will go live in 5 days days time - I've already been online with them for the last two days

Do they mean the max streaming sync process will start in 5 days - which in turn will see the performance increase?

Not really bothered as it's as fast as I need really and @ £11.95 a month it's adaquate.
Old 07 December 2006, 12:36 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Bravo, what in general, or from that ubuntu site? Are your speeds to the US better?
Old 07 December 2006, 05:39 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
my ip profile jumped overnight from 3500 to 5500 and am now downloading at 660kb/s Bet it doesn't last until tonight when I get home! My line must like rainy weather!
Likewise, mine has improved to 550kbps

thinkbroadband: The UK's largest independent ADSL review site - Your guide to UK broadband Internet.

Guess this is the Max streaming starting it's testing
Old 08 December 2006, 01:01 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Just found out my exchange VP is red! Although it has been reported as green up until today. So its no wonder I'm having speed issues. Feckin BT, useless custards
Old 08 December 2006, 02:02 AM
Kevin Greeley
Scooby Regular

I moved to Newnet and the service is fast and reliable.

Be aware though that uploads, downloads and internet 'background noise' are included in your allowance.

I started on the 25Gb package, but this simply wasn't enough so I'm now on the 60Gb/month package. Even this is a struggle to keep to - if you run peer2peer 24x7, uploads alone will use 130Gb a month! I now have to use Netlimiter to restrict uploads to 3k/sec.
Old 03 January 2007, 03:17 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Typical innit :/
Old 03 January 2007, 08:41 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Having used them in a business environment, I'm not so complementry about Newnet.
Old 27 February 2007, 06:46 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

just got my bank statement today and low and behold I've been billed £34.95 for Feb, never heard anything about the price rise, spoke to them today and said that an email was sent out in December about the price change, they said they would forward it on. I got home this evening and checked my email and still nothing. personally i think £13 a month rise is a bit much, so i shall be migrating to sky