Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Help Resurrecting my old PC

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2006, 03:57 PM
John@TunerUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Help Resurrecting my old PC

Hi all.
I'm trying to resurrect my last PC from it's grave, but have encountered a problem.
When the PC was last used it ran slow, and would often sprout a Blue screen with a fault code and some words. Now although I didn't have time to read the words in the short space it was on the screen, a friend told me that the code indicated a fault with my RAM.
Not really bothered about fixing it, I bought a whole new system and left the old PC in a cupboard.
Now 8 months later I've decided that it may be handy for running a CCTV system, so I bought a new stick of RAM and replaced the old one hoping that this may fix the problem.
However, now the PC turns on, and everything spins up as it should, but my screen won't turn on. It just stays in standby, and if I hit the power button myself, it turns on for one second, shows a totally blank black screen, and then goes back into standby.
The monitor is definitely plugged in, as if it isn't it comes up with a "No Signal" message on screen.
Also when it's first turned on, the PC doesn't do that little "Beep", to let you know it's getting it's **** in gear.
It's as if the lights are on, but no-one's home!
If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate some suggestions

The system AFAIK consists of:
Micro-Star MS-6390 Motherboard
AMD 1400+ Processor
256Mb DDR Ram, Overclockers UK Value stuff (New)
Fujitsu 20Gb HDD
Old 03 December 2006, 04:56 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Have you tried re-seating the new stick into a different slot? Failing that try the old RAM again to make sure there isn't another fault with the PC.
Old 03 December 2006, 08:04 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds morelike your gfx card has gone **** up. Also the PC is not posting (the beep u should hear on startup) So something isnt working correctly. I don't know how your friend could tell it was RAM related from the msg, those msgs are red herrings at the best of times. But yea try reseating the ram in another slot, or try the old ram, and reseat the gfx card and/or try another.
Old 03 December 2006, 09:03 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

battery probably gone dead, try resetting the cmos
Old 04 December 2006, 10:01 AM
John@TunerUK
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replies everyone.
I've since tried reseating the RAM, and put it in a different slot. I've also tried the old RAM just to see if the new stuff was the problem, but to no avail.
The GFX are onboard so I can't reseat anything there unfortunately.
I've never reset cmos before since I'm a relative nooB when it comes to PC internals, but I'll have a read up and give it a go
Old 04 December 2006, 01:08 PM
John@TunerUK
Scooby Regular

Well, I removed anything not 100% essential. CD drive, floppy, firewire card and extra USB sockets. Tried it, and it's booted up fine
Just got to plug the CD drive back in, because I will need that, and check it again.

Thanks to all who replied