Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

How much better will the PS3 be....

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2006, 09:52 PM
Scooby Roo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How much better will the PS3 be....

.....than the Xbox360.

Will it be worth the wait and hype or is it too late.

PS2 was good and more popular than the Xbox but I wasn't sure it was any better.

Any thoughts or has this been done to death.

Roo
Old 25 October 2006, 11:26 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why should it be any better?
Old 25 October 2006, 11:34 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm hoping it's quieter, and it has a HD drive built in.
Old 26 October 2006, 12:14 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Everything I've heard so far point to it being quieter, (due to not having as many fans), but also overheating a lot easier. Power wise, the ps3 and 360 seem pretty evenly matched. The only "advantage" is that the ps3 has a blu-ray drive, (although personally I don't see the point). No particularly stunning exclusive games for the ps3 either.

I've seen nothing about the ps3 so far that has made me want to get one (and I usually end up getting all the consoles)...
Old 26 October 2006, 08:32 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

i do think people are wanting to get away from flashy graphics etc and want more playability from their games which is why the Wii is looking a better option.
Old 26 October 2006, 09:33 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Roo
.....than the Xbox360.

PS2 was good and more popular than the Xbox but I wasn't sure it was any better.

Roo
the Xbox was a better machine than the PS2 on lots of levels.

As for the 360 v PS3. Fact is the same games will pretty much be on both machines and prob look the same. As I see it the 360 though is cheaper, been available longer therefore developers have had more time with it, Live is well established, MS seem to listen to what the customer wants whereas Sony tell the customer what they want.
Old 26 October 2006, 10:07 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Good call about Sony. As much as I dislike Micro$haft, they DO listen to their customers.

I don't think that the PS3 will gain many new customers, as most people I talk to about it, and a fair few of those are my students (ie teenagers), they've already got a PS2, and the PS3 is a natural progression.........

There is no doubt in my mind that it will be a big seller (and will probably outsell the 360), but Sony have got a seriously bl00dy nose from this whole next gen war. Should be an interesting few years

Either way, the customer wins

Dan
Old 26 October 2006, 10:14 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Roo
.....than the Xbox360.

Roo
Well the PS2 was around way before the Xbox so it wasnt any better as M$ had time to develop a technically superior machine.

My feeling is that both the 360 and PS3 offer greater sound and visuals, wether the game play is *significantly* improved is questionable. Mind you Im a retro saddo that still gets a kick out of playing manic miner.

I saw the wii on the gadget show on monday and have to say that looked great fun.

Gary
Old 26 October 2006, 10:14 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Rumours of disks melting after prolonged use Well melting might be a bit strong, maybe just becoming soft.

Doesn't look good if it's true and hope that they don't go for a last minute botch job on cooling and just slap a fan on.

I agree that overall the XBox was a better machine than the PS2, but then it was released 2 years after the PS2, so they had plenty of opportunity to pick up on current issues.
Old 26 October 2006, 01:53 PM
DanPhillips
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
Everything I've heard so far point to it being quieter, (due to not having as many fans), but also overheating a lot easier. Power wise, the ps3 and 360 seem pretty evenly matched. The only "advantage" is that the ps3 has a blu-ray drive, (although personally I don't see the point). No particularly stunning exclusive games for the ps3 either.

I've seen nothing about the ps3 so far that has made me want to get one (and I usually end up getting all the consoles)...
Thats just wrong.

I have one on my desk, it runs pretty close to silent unless you block up the vents (yes I did try ) And I have had no heat problems even when testing a game overnight (well a test app we use to test our code to destruction) including streaming data.

PS3 is more powerfull, it's going to take more time and effort to exploit it.

A couple of the "exclusive" games look interesting...but then I won't be buying them

Cheers

Dan
Old 26 October 2006, 02:42 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DanPhillips
Thats just wrong.
Well, I've read it in so many places (and seen pictures) now there has to be some truth to it. There's no smoke without fire.

PS3 is more powerfull, it's going to take more time and effort to exploit it.
I should hope so. It's a lot more expensive

A couple of the "exclusive" games look interesting...but then I won't be buying them
Well, all I can assume is they haven't been annouced yet then. I've not seen any exclusive titles mentioned so far which look even remotely interesting.
Old 26 October 2006, 02:48 PM
DanPhillips
Scooby Regular

Well, I've read it in so many places (and seen pictures) now there has to be some truth to it. There's no smoke without fire.

I should hope so. It's a lot more expensive

Well, all I can assume is they haven't been annouced yet then. I've not seen any exclusive titles mentioned so far which look even remotely interesting.
The orginal story came from a journo who didn't even go to the Tokyo game show who "heard" about consoles having to be reset, the people he heard it from were speculating as to wether it was "demo" code (which it was) or heat problems...

Cheers

Dan
Old 26 October 2006, 02:57 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

What about the photos then? Were they made up as well?

Last edited by Iain Young; 26 October 2006 at 03:03 PM.
Old 26 October 2006, 04:15 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

The problem with warping discs isnt so much a problem for the disc itself but the laser. If the disc hits the bluray laser then it destroy's it.
Old 26 October 2006, 04:36 PM
DanPhillips
Scooby Regular

What about the photos then? Were they made up as well?

No idea, perhaps it wasn't final hardware...or they were locked in a small secure box with poor ventilation ? try putting your 360 in a standard under telly cabinet with the door closed, 3 red lights calling....

The one on my desk copes fine

Cheers

Dan
Old 26 October 2006, 04:40 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Wink

Will the PS3 be better than the 360...

360 owners - If it is it won't be by much, we can play most of the same games and the console costs less.

PS3 owners - Of course it is. It will go well with my PS, PSOne, PS2, PS2 Silver, PS2 Slim line, PS2 Pink, PSP... I love Sony me. Looking forward to GT5 sometime before 2010 (although I'm willing to wait till, well forever if Sony decide to delay it)