Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

PS3 lauch titles

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2006, 02:40 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PS3 lauch titles

BBC NEWS | Technology | Sony unveils net service for PS3

Also nice to see that Sony are going to do whatever they can to stop Europeans getting their hands on Japanese/Us machines.
BBC NEWS | Technology | Sony to 'block PS3 Euro imports'
Old 25 October 2006, 03:00 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PS3 LAUNCH TITLES
Resistance: Fall of Man
NBA 07
Genji: Days of the Blade
Blazing Angels Squadrons of WWII
Call of Duty 3
Fight Night Round 3
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
F.E.A.R
Full Auto 2: Battlelines
Madden NFL 07
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire
NBA 2K7
Need For Speed Carbon
NHL 2K7
Ridge Racer 7
Sonic the Hedgehog
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas
Tony Hawk's Project
Untold Legends Dark Kingdom
WOW!!! so many exclusive titles in that list!!!
Old 25 October 2006, 03:23 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

I was thinking its nice to see how 'inventive' the ps3 is.
Most of the games will be bought,played and finished on the 360 before the ps3 comes out over here.
Old 25 October 2006, 04:19 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

I thought Final Fantasy was going to be a launch title

Still, I've only been waiting a year for the final(?) PS2 installment and it still isn't released yet What a great choice that was for a xmas/birthday present.

I think I'm going to give nextgen gaming a complete miss. Certainly not buying into HiDef TV to appreciate it. Much better things to spend my money on and when they turn analogue TV off, we'll have a big DVD watching screen and no TV Might actually get round to learning more new stuff then rather than vegging my life away
Old 25 October 2006, 04:52 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hanslow
I thought Final Fantasy was going to be a launch title

Still, I've only been waiting a year for the final(?) PS2 installment and it still isn't released yet What a great choice that was for a xmas/birthday present.

I think I'm going to give nextgen gaming a complete miss. Certainly not buying into HiDef TV to appreciate it. Much better things to spend my money on and when they turn analogue TV off, we'll have a big DVD watching screen and no TV Might actually get round to learning more new stuff then rather than vegging my life away
Who you trying to convince here? us or yourself?
Old 25 October 2006, 05:06 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I certainly won't be buying one, the 360 is good enough and the vast majority of games will be available on both platforms. Not going to waste my money on another expensive system.

Besides I have really gone off Sony and their business practices - their crappr software that came with the mini-discs that blue-screened my laptop, the rootkit issue and the closing of Lik-Sang for our own safety apparently.
Old 25 October 2006, 05:10 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

PS3 will probably sell well because of the hype but really the Xbox 360 is just as good with loads of titles now and it's about half the price.
A no brainer really.

They've really missed the boat with missing Christmas, how many people can afford £450 for a games console + £50-60 a game a couple of months after Christmas?
Old 25 October 2006, 05:21 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Yes, forgot to mention that as well, the delays have meant that the enthusiasm has worn off too.

Might buy a Wii though.
Old 25 October 2006, 05:40 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Who you trying to convince here? us or yourself?

The missus will no doubt get a Wii but I'm really getting brassed off with crap eye candy games, increased price tags, increased hardware issues, etc. That and I think I'm finally growing up and I really don't want to shell out for a HiDef TV just to play some games that I'll be bored with quickly anyway

At least Sony are making me realise it's all futile waiting for a PS3, and Iain with his exploding 360s (slight exaggeration maybe ) has put me off the 360

I don't recall any issues with my SNES, Spectrum or Amiga
Old 25 October 2006, 05:49 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

brassed off with crap eye candy games
true, there are some eye candy games, but there's some good ones as well on the 360 now, (I lost nearly 100 hours of my life to Oblivion for example)...

That and I think I'm finally growing up and I really don't want to shell out for a HiDef TV just to play some games that I'll be bored with quickly anyway
I've not got a hi-def tv. I've just got an ordinary 42" plasma. I set the 360 to output hi-def and the tv handles it fine. Looks great

Iain with his exploding 360s (slight exaggeration maybe ) has put me off the 360
I've only had 4 so far

I don't recall any issues with my SNES, Spectrum or Amiga
So you don't remember the dodgy power suplies on the Amiga a500, the compatibility problems with the Amiga A600, the PS1 which you had to turn upside down to make it work, the spectrums very dodgy power supply. The only completely reliable systems I've had were the megadrive, snes and dreamcast.

Despite the problems I've had with the 360, I wouldn't want to be without it now. Some stunning stuff coming out soon as well
Old 25 October 2006, 05:53 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
true, there are some eye candy games, but there's some good ones as well on the 360 now, (I lost nearly 100 hours of my life to Oblivion for example)...
As did I on the PC and it only cost me £25. That on a PC that is 2.5 years old with quality settings still above medium.

I've not got a hi-def tv. I've just got an ordinary 42" plasma. I set the 360 to output hi-def and the tv handles it fine. Looks great
How would it look on a 36" CRT (yes, it's Sony, but only cost me £75 off a mate who upgraded )?

I've only had 4 so far
It's the so far that's most disconcerting!

So you don't remember the dodgy power suplies on the Amiga a500, the compatibility problems with the Amiga A600, the PS1 which you had to turn upside down to make it work, the spectrums very dodgy power supply. The only completely reliable systems I've had were the megadrive, snes and dreamcast.

Despite the problems I've had with the 360, I wouldn't want to be without it now. Some stunning stuff coming out soon as well
Nope! My A500 was perfect, as were all the ones my friends had. Ok the A600 was a bit dodgy, but all those in the know didn't get one My PS1 was always fine and my Speccy lasted 8 years absolutely flawlessly (bar two worn out keyboard membranes, but that was Daley Thompson's fault ).

Maybe it's only Nintendo who can make a reliable console then.....
Old 25 October 2006, 09:16 PM
AudiHater
Scooby Regular

Heard a rumour that the Jap release may be pushed back as the discs are warping with heat after a few hours play. After the Lik-Sang incident they can go **** themselves
Old 26 October 2006, 12:22 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

As did I on the PC and it only cost me £25. That on a PC that is 2.5 years old with quality settings still above medium.
I only paid that for the 360 version as well I had heard that oblivion on the pc could cripple even the most powerful machine at the time, (which is why I went for the 360 version - it was before I got my current pc rig).

How would it look on a 36" CRT (yes, it's Sony, but only cost me £75 off a mate who upgraded )?
Dunno. I guess you'd need someone to borrow a 360 off of and try it. It would all depend on if the screen could accept a hd signal or not. My plasma does, (even though it's not hd) and does some clever processing on the picture to display it. Looks much better than if I set the 360 to lo-def.

Nope! My A500 was perfect, as were all the ones my friends had. Ok the A600 was a bit dodgy, but all those in the know didn't get one
I had both, as well as an Atari ST, and an STE!! Found the Atari to be more reliable than either of the Amigas, but lets not open up that old debate

Maybe it's only Nintendo who can make a reliable console then
Maybe. My snes and gamecube performed flawlessly. On the other hand, they have always been a bit behind the cutting edge, so I guess they always use proven technology.
Old 26 October 2006, 12:25 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

blocking euro imports, wonder y, the rrp is twice to three times that of the jap rrp, just sony cashing in, wonder how many 'friends' will post them over,,,,pmsl
Old 26 October 2006, 08:35 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
blocking euro imports, wonder y, the rrp is twice to three times that of the jap rrp, just sony cashing in, wonder how many 'friends' will post them over,,,,pmsl
My parents will be in Hong Kong over Christmas..... I wonder how many I can have shipped over?
Old 26 October 2006, 09:24 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Got a 360, and Wii on preorder - and will be getting a PS3 on launch. I don't buy into this "Boycott Sony" nonsense at all.
Old 26 October 2006, 10:03 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Got a 360, and Wii on preorder - and will be getting a PS3 on launch. I don't buy into this "Boycott Sony" nonsense at all.
Nor do I. Still won't be getting one at launch though. There are no exclusive games worth mentioning and the 360 is cheaper / more established. I may be tempted towards the end of next year if there are any games worth getting...

Originally Posted by Andy Tang
My parents will be in Hong Kong over Christmas..... I wonder how many I can have shipped over?
None I expect. Sony only have 100,000 units for the Japanese launch, and they are all expected sell on day 1.
Old 26 October 2006, 11:43 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

None I expect. Sony only have 100,000 units for the Japanese launch, and they are all expected sell on day 1.
That won't stop the myriad of small shops around Asia buying them, it's just that Lik-Sang re-exported them.
Old 26 October 2006, 11:51 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

I'm going with PS3 - I've decided I've rather have Blu-Ray rather than HD DVD as my movie format of choice.
Old 26 October 2006, 11:54 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

I'm still going to umm and ahh for another year or more
Old 26 October 2006, 12:08 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by messiah
I'm going with PS3 - I've decided I've rather have Blu-Ray rather than HD DVD as my movie format of choice.
Was it the great choice of *NEW* titles that did it for you

*Taken from play.com
Old 26 October 2006, 12:14 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

I guarantee I can get a couple on the launch day, it depends what sort of premium I'm willing to pay for the "honour"

Even if I get one in the new year, it will still be sooner than the UK

Last edited by Andy Tang; 26 October 2006 at 12:18 PM.
Old 26 October 2006, 12:22 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Lol - depends on how much you're willing to pay I suppose.

Makes me laugh that people are willing to pay over the odds for an unproven console at launch with little or no decent games, when they can just wait 6 months and get one for half the price and hopefully there will be some stuff worth buying for it then. The only decent stuff in the ps3 launch lineup are games I've already played on the 360 (at a much lower cost)...
Old 26 October 2006, 12:24 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Why?

Neither format is proven yet, and I wouldn't like to put money on who is going to win at the moment, (especially with the blu-ray laser production problems and high cost of producing the discs). It's vhs vs betamax all over again

Personally, I'm going to wait a year before investing in any HD stuff. It might have settled down a bit by then.

As an aside, does anyone actually think that blu-ray is good for gaming? I'm of the opinion that the extra capacity on the discs just encourages more and more fmv at the expense of gameplay. Certainly a few quotes I've read from developers recently indicate that this will be true. A "selling" feature of one fps game on the ps3 (can't remember the name off the top of my head) is that if you go into a room and watch the tv, you can watch a whole film on the screen. Woopeee...

Last edited by Iain Young; 26 October 2006 at 12:29 PM.
Old 26 October 2006, 12:48 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

I've also read that Blue-Ray (and HD-DVD?) access will actually be slower for data than standard DVD. I'd sooner have a lengthy (2 mins tops) FMV sequence at the end when the game is completed, and less during the game itself as I find it stops the flow a lot of the time.

I'll be interested to see how much of a market share Nintendo claw back with their back to basics console. I think a lot of people might be surprised....
Old 26 October 2006, 01:49 PM
DanPhillips
Scooby Regular

I've also read that Blue-Ray (and HD-DVD?) access will actually be slower for data than standard DVD. I'd sooner have a lengthy (2 mins tops) FMV sequence at the end when the game is completed, and less during the game itself as I find it stops the flow a lot of the time.

I'll be interested to see how much of a market share Nintendo claw back with their back to basics console. I think a lot of people might be surprised....
That is wrong. Blu-Ray is quicker.

Cheers

Dan
Old 26 October 2006, 02:31 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Blu-Ray has more studio's behind it due it being more security conscious.

I've also read that HD DVD doesnt have the capacity for both 1080p and a DTS soundtrack - its one or the other. Although I've read ina few sources that there is a lot of differing qualities going around between films from the same studio some are better in blu-ray, others in hd dvd...

Last edited by messiah; 26 October 2006 at 02:37 PM.
Old 26 October 2006, 02:36 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DanPhillips
That is wrong. Blu-Ray is quicker.
It is quicker to read data than dvd, but there is a lot more data to read. If they decide to use all that space solely for game data, then the level load times will be horriffic!!

Blu-Ray has more studio's behind it due it being more security conscious
I'd heard it was about 50-50, and other studios were against it because of the much higher production costs.

It'll be interesting to see how this one pans out next year, (hence why I'm not buying anything now).
Old 26 October 2006, 02:40 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Geeks will like Blue-Ray but HD-DVD will win out.
Old 26 October 2006, 02:42 PM
DanPhillips
Scooby Regular

It is quicker to read data than dvd, but there is a lot more data to read. If they decide to use all that space solely for game data, then the level load times will be horriffic!!
Level load times ? we stream all our data async, the OS calls allow you to do that...should be no need for displaying "loading" except when booting the game up for the very fiirst time, and silently copying across data to the HD will also allow quick access to stuff that really needs it.

Add in an SPU doing streaming/data decompression in the background...

Still its going to be quicker to fill the 512meg from Blu-Ray than it is from the 360's DVD drive

Cheers

Dan

Quick Reply: PS3 lauch titles