Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

One PC, Two iPods - any probs?

Search this Thread

Old 11 October 2006, 12:17 AM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One PC, Two iPods - any probs?

Myself and her indoors have realised that we need another iPod - for instance we travel a bit, I work away and for mutual visits to the gym. As we have one main computer with, for my sins, iTunes 7.01 I've been a bit concerned about how easy it will be to manage with two iPods - anyone round these parts have any sagelike advice to dispense?
Old 11 October 2006, 04:01 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Miles,
I've got my 40GB (upgraded to a 60GB hard drive) 4th Gen click wheel iPod and I got Rose a 4GB Nano for her birthday in March and I manage both of them from a single machine with no issues at all. I've used iTunes 6.0.x and 7.0.x with them, again with no issues.

iTunes will see them as separate iPods, and you can happily have both of them connected and accessible in iTunes at the same time.

My advice would be to ensure they you set them to manually manage music, and when you plug in the new iPod for the first time, it should ask you to name the iPod and underneath that there should be an option, enabled by default, if you want to automatically manage music, simply disable that option and you're in manual management mode.

When it comes to different playlists for each iPod, then you could use a Playlist folder in iTunes, named for each person, and put their individual playlists in the appropriate folder and if you want a shared list, don't store it in a folder. Alas the iPod does not support the playlist folder concept but it does make managing things in iTunes a little easier.
Old 11 October 2006, 07:56 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

As above - both wifey and I have Ipods. I've got them/Itunes to work on manual update.

Works a piece of cake. Also encourages us both to know exactly what's on the Ipod

Dan
Old 12 October 2006, 11:04 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, now have a 5th gen iPod alongside our older 4th gen and both are co-existing quite happily.