Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Work logging my internet usage - Firefox?

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2006, 03:00 PM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Work logging my internet usage - Firefox?

Afternoon all, is firefox seperate from Internet explorer?

Ive just had a dressing down at work for using the internet too much ( 1 hour 38 mins yesterday! ) and was wondering if there was a way to beat the system.

The system recognises everytime you open internet explorer or a web page - it logs the amount of time you spend looking at the web page but will stop the timer if the page is minimized and stays inactive for 1 minute.

How can i fudge it, please dont tell me i have to do some work?

Ta

Adam
Old 06 October 2006, 03:05 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lmao
Old 06 October 2006, 03:34 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

yes do some work you lazy git...

if I had someone working for me who spent that amount of time surfing, I would go mental...

work hard, start your own business and then you can surf all day mate
Old 06 October 2006, 03:34 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

it's all monitored from the iis server, so unless you've access to the logs then you're screwed.

i did write a little app once to remove myself from the log files. it didn't take long to zip through the ~100mb files each day
Old 06 October 2006, 07:08 PM
NWMark
Scooby Regular

I thought IIS just monitored its own hosted web sites and not people surfing to external websites.

More likely to be monitored by the proxy server, or some other monitoring machine all external connections will go through.

So unless you have access to this machine, the answer is no im afraid.
Old 06 October 2006, 08:26 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

yep will all be monitored by the web proxy server or similar, there is pretty much no way you can get round it unless you administer them !
Old 06 October 2006, 08:27 PM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

Oh well, looks like ill have to keep my head down for a while and do some work!!

Bummer.

Thanks for the info anyway chaps

Adam

Trending Topics

Old 07 October 2006, 04:02 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Adam,

Well if it tracks not only what you are using but the state of the window, i.e. minimised or maximised it must be a client app thats doing an EnumWindows call and not server side, you wouldnt get that level of detail from IIS, so check for any processes running on your machine (not sure if you have admin rights) and kill em off!

Gary
Old 07 October 2006, 04:52 PM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

Ah right, nice one mate

Ill have a look and see whats running in the background first thing Monday morning if i have the correct user rights.

I could always just get a job in the IT department, theyre even more bone-idle than i am but get paid more!!

Thanks

Adam
Old 07 October 2006, 09:36 PM
ChrisB

At which, when your Internet useage disappears from the reports, you get hauled in front of the boss again...
Old 07 October 2006, 09:45 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just save the **** for when you get home.
Old 07 October 2006, 11:41 PM
Sleazy Badger
Scooby Regular

I think the proxy server will log every page it serves to your client machine.
Unless you have admin rights to the proxy server there's no way around it.
Old 07 October 2006, 11:57 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Ironic all those telling the guy to do some work when most post all day from work
Old 08 October 2006, 12:09 AM
Neils wrx
Scooby Regular

Not sure what system my employers use but it records every page visited along with the time. Only found this out when one of my staff thought it would be a good idea to look at **** on a work PC !!!
Old 08 October 2006, 12:17 AM
haroldhettaturbo
Scooby Regular

there is a way to fool the system into thinking that another ip address is using the net.

mate did this were he worked coz net activity was limited to 60 mins a day so he just used other ip address all day, can drop him an email and ask him how he did it if u want.
Old 08 October 2006, 02:30 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

If you have broadband and windows XP at home, remote desktop to home and use IE there. Or install a proxy server on your home pc
Old 08 October 2006, 10:15 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

yep or use this http://www.hamachi.cc/
Old 08 October 2006, 10:52 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Okay, so of those above. Yes you can use a different IP address, but I expect your system is locked down so you can change it. If they are monitoring activity to the level that you say, I would certainly imagine that to be the case.

I use remote desktop, or actually the much easier http://www.logmein.com, to browse the more interesting sites from work by connecting to my PC at home. A couple of things on that though, it is still internet (well, IP) traffic so you will still be using the internet and your time will still be increasing. It is really only useful if you want to hide WHAT sites you are visiting as opposed to the time you are visiting them. Secondly, be careful they haven't installed video capture software. My company creates software that sits on the desktop of call center agents and records all their internet activity, so you can replay the calls and watch the sites they were browsing whilst on the phone. You'd be amazed, and lots of people have been 'let go' for viewing inappropriate things whilst talking to customers.

Steve
Old 08 October 2006, 03:36 PM
ando
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AdamCrank
Ah right, nice one mate

Ill have a look and see whats running in the background first thing Monday morning if i have the correct user rights.

I could always just get a job in the IT department, theyre even more bone-idle than i am but get paid more!!

Thanks

Adam
It's funny everyone assumes that. I'm in IT support, and I work a lot harder than most people in the company, and in fact, I get paid frig all. (I get paid less than half of one of the people there that I observed gossiping for over *2 HOURS* one day, and this is a regular thing, just this time I decided to time it because it's driving me that insane).

Even though we do our best to keep everyone happy, the general users in the company don't understand why they might have to wait 30 minutes for me to come and change the keyboard they just spilt coffee on. They must think I'm sitting on my **** surfing the internet, maybe, just maybe I'm repairing something that is affecting more than one person. Maybe something critical is going down in server-land, or some balloon-head has just unplugged everyone's network connection by shoving yet more crap under their desk.

Don't believe the hype; IT support is generally quite under paid.

Seriously though,- if you spend 1 hour 38 a day pure surfing that's inexcusable. The IT bods are watching, and there’s no way round it.
Old 08 October 2006, 03:43 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ando
Seriously though,- if you spend 1 hour 38 a day pure surfing that's inexcusable. The IT bods are watching, and there’s no way round it.
I spend longer than that.... but i work in IT Support so its ok !

I dont mind if my staff in the IT Dept spend ages on the net either as long as the work gets done. I know I can rely on them to work after hours when needed, it's give and take.
Old 08 October 2006, 04:03 PM
ando
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiDHEaD
I spend longer than that.... but i work in IT Support so its ok !

I dont mind if my staff in the IT Dept spend ages on the net either as long as the work gets done. I know I can rely on them to work after hours when needed, it's give and take.
Well fair enough if there's no work to be done. It's like a brick layer when it's peeing down with rain, you don't expect them to do push ups. But when there's work to do, (and if people are bollocking him for surfing there is!), you can't be messing around.

I can't remember the last time I had 10 minutes to sit down and collect my thoughts.

Maybe I'm just in a "crap" IT dept, but I'm thinking about getting into something else. I've got a degree, experience, and I'm getting paid less than a bin-man. @#!@~!@"
Old 08 October 2006, 04:06 PM
Bat-Fink
Scooby Regular

buy a usbstick with private browsing.
Old 08 October 2006, 11:14 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

It's funny you mention a bin man, it was only the other day I spotted a job advert in the local paper for a Bin Man with a salary a bit over 18k a year!!

I also work in IT and work my **** off but get paid next to nowt (less than the bin man anyway!!!) and on many occasion work over time, which is un-paid only last friday had to work an extra 4 hrs and not see an extra penny for it!

So not all IT people get paid loads and sit about on their **** all day surfing the net.
Old 09 October 2006, 09:03 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Get a job in IT support - then you can toss it off all day without the bollockings
Old 09 October 2006, 10:19 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My company creates software that sits on the desktop of call center agents and records all their internet activity, so you can replay the calls and watch the sites they were browsing whilst on the phone. You'd be amazed, and lots of people have been 'let go' for viewing inappropriate things whilst talking to customers.
Where I used to work did that (I work in IT!) it was called witness.. my god it was scary for the agents in the callcentre..

David
Old 09 October 2006, 10:25 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David_Wallis
Where I used to work did that (I work in IT!) it was called witness.. my god it was scary for the agents in the callcentre..

David
Er, yes. Who I work for

Steve
Old 09 October 2006, 11:37 AM
ando
Scooby Regular

Witness! Haha, they used to *try* and get that working when I was in Telewest! (I used to be a very unhappy first line grunt there, don't get me started!), 12 months I was there, and they still couldn't get it working. Hehe!