Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Max HDD size allowed by BIOS?

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2006, 06:51 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Max HDD size allowed by BIOS?

I have an old Compaq Deskpro PIII 350mhz which I'm currently using as a file server running Windows Server 2003 to feed MP3 around the house. I'd like to now extend it's use to store my DVD collection on HDD so obviously I'm going to need more storage.

My plan in theory is to buy a PCI based SATA controller card and 2 x 500gb SATA hard drives but just wanted to check my theory before I spend some cash

As far as I can work out, the BIOS version I'm running at the moment is from about 2000 and has a limit of 120gb discs. Does this mean that it simply won't work with a 500gb disc full stop, or would a 500gb disc partitioned into 100gb drives actually do the trick?

Also, with regards to the SATA part - I assume that the SATA translation part of the deal is done on the 3rd party PCI card - is this likely to work ok or is the system going to say 'What the **** is SATA?'

Cheers

David
Old 01 October 2006, 07:47 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

I would say you'd be okay. I think the card will handle everything if hard drives are connected to that.
Old 03 October 2006, 10:54 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Most likely won't work, due to the bit-addressing required on the larger drives. My suggestion would be to buy a ATA or RAID PCI card and run the drives off that in the computer - should only cost about a tenner.

btw - make sure your power supply is up to the job!