Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Why wont my old games run on my newish computer?

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2006, 11:41 AM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why wont my old games run on my newish computer?

Being as im off sick at mo- i thought to help pas a bit of time i would play some of my old favourite games on my PC.

So got my version of screamer 2 and a few other games-and tried to load them-some wouldn't even load to play and in case of screamer 2 it loadn't but wouldn't let me use joystick etc-and was just generally running wrong.

is it cos im now using windows XP Pro and these games were designed for windows 98 or better still they want to run under DOS-if so can i get them to work right as screamer 2 was a fab game i thought.

Anyone help?
Old 01 September 2006, 11:53 AM
Pete The Biker
Scooby Regular

I know what it's like being off 'sick' - I am off work for 3 months with a ruptured achilles tendon, and my leg in plaster! 5 weeks down, 7 to go...........

Try running the programs in Compatibility Mode.

To do this, right click on the icon, select Properties, then the Compatibility tab, and then select the version of Windows for which the program was written.

Hope this helps

Pete
Old 01 September 2006, 12:11 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Try a program called DOSBOX
Old 01 September 2006, 12:50 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

or go look for virtual pc or vmware and create a virtual Windows 98 p.c. on your main XP one.
Old 01 September 2006, 11:01 PM
AVZ
Scooby Regular

Games that are still supported often have patches that will bring them up to date also.

Originally Posted by ^OPM^
Being as im off sick at mo- i thought to help pas a bit of time i would play some of my old favourite games on my PC.

So got my version of screamer 2 and a few other games-and tried to load them-some wouldn't even load to play and in case of screamer 2 it loadn't but wouldn't let me use joystick etc-and was just generally running wrong.

is it cos im now using windows XP Pro and these games were designed for windows 98 or better still they want to run under DOS-if so can i get them to work right as screamer 2 was a fab game i thought.

Anyone help?