Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Sky+ -> DVD Recorder

Search this Thread

Old 05 August 2006, 04:01 PM
Father Jack Hackett
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sky+ -> DVD Recorder

Sky+ has a feature where you can record stuff from it to a DVD recorder. I want to do this. Is it easy to set up? Would I just connect the Sky+ box via a scart lead to the DVD recorder?

What's a decent DVD recorder? Doesn't have to be the cheapest but I don't need state of the art, or home cinema type.

Cheers,

Jack
Old 05 August 2006, 04:12 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

jack, try some of the lite on stuff. reasonable price and can be made multi region fairly easily. the latest ones have Hard Disk in them. i have had the 5006 model for over a year now and have had no probs with it so fasr. you might need to update firmware to get the best out of it though, but thats a simple process
Old 05 August 2006, 04:23 PM
Father Jack Hackett
Scooby Regular

Cheers, bigsinky. Wil check them out.
Old 05 August 2006, 04:59 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Another vote for Liteon. Bought one for my mum and dad - cos they're user friendly (the recorder, not the parents ). Easy to set up, use and 'just work'

They CAN be fussy with discs though - although there is an official list of compatible discs on their website. I order from diskdepot.
Old 05 August 2006, 06:16 PM
Leg@cy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jowl
Another vote for Liteon. Bought one for my mum and dad - cos they're user friendly (the recorder, not the parents ). Easy to set up, use and 'just work'

They CAN be fussy with discs though - although there is an official list of compatible discs on their website. I order from diskdepot.
I too have a liteon and agree that it is good... AND that it is fussy with Disc's

Mines the earlier 5005..... but still a cracking machine
Old 05 August 2006, 06:18 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

So just HOW do you record to the DVD recorder then? just set SKY+ to copy?
Old 05 August 2006, 08:22 PM
Leg@cy
Scooby Regular

Yup !!

Thats it.... However, it records in 'real time' so your best off setting it to record overnight.........

and you cannot use the Sky box for anything else while it is recording/copying to dvd...

on another note..... what function does the USB port have on the front of the Sky+ box (Thompson) - wonder could you just 'drag and drop' everything to a PC Hdd ?? that would be cool
Old 13 August 2006, 09:23 PM
Father Jack Hackett
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the responses! I have another question ...

Got a HDD DVD recorder - Philips DVDR5850H. Seems like a nice machine, and I always liked Philips stuff. However, it isn't exactly easy to just archive stuff from the Sky+ box.

From Sky+ you can set to copy and as Legacy4X4Turbo said, you can only copy in real time. OK, so you can do it overnight, no problem. But if you copy, say, 4 programmes from Sky+ to HDD, the HDD only sees it as one programme, so you have to edit it. But when I try to edit, it says that editing isn't possible in the time shift buffer. The time shift buffer is the buffer of continuous recording that allows you to pause live TV etc. I don't want to do that, as I can do it on the Sky+ box (and how often do you want to do that anyway, really?)

So the question is how do I record not using the time shift buffer?

BTW I read the manual and it didn't help (and now my dog has chewed it up ...) nor did the Philips support website.

Cheers,

Jack