Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Which broadband provider??

Search this Thread

Old 04 August 2006, 05:55 PM
wrx-ian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which broadband provider??

I`m just brought my first house after years of renting.
So i`m moving house next weekend, currently on ntl cable tv/phone/broadband. Can`t get this at new house so going Sky tv, BT phone. Not really sure where to go for my internet.
What do people on here use???
What are the best deals around??
Cheers in advance for any advice.
Old 04 August 2006, 06:23 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Sky....

£10 a month for 16mB speed and unlimited downloads. They do cheaper deals but put a cap on the amount of downloads. Free wireless router looks like a Netgear one.

Tony.
Old 04 August 2006, 07:41 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its not unlimited. Its subject to a fair usage policy, to which the details are not clear. There aren't any UK adsl isps that can sustain unlimited dloads anymore
Old 04 August 2006, 07:48 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

I'm still with PLUSNET
never had a problem with them (must have been with them at least 3 years now)
Had the best reviews and product / price listing at the time for a 2MB connection.

2006 reviews rated them the leading provider for...

Overall satisfaction 92%

Speed and payment plans 87%

Recommend a friend? 82%

Customer support 72%

Value for money 86%

Andy

and if you do go for them, use the recommend a friend thing and add me as the recommender so I can get 0.50p off my subscription

Last edited by Fuzz; 04 August 2006 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05 August 2006, 08:52 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
Its not unlimited. Its subject to a fair usage policy, to which the details are not clear. There aren't any UK adsl isps that can sustain unlimited dloads anymore
For the average person tho that isn't downloading DVD films constantly to sell on for all intents and purposes it is unlimited. I've never reached the fair usage limit and to be honest never think i will even tho my connection does get a fair bit of bashing.

Tony.
Old 05 August 2006, 09:00 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

http://www.adslguide.org/isps/compare.asp

plus net used to be great, now id would avoid them big time. Changing T&C in contracts as they please, moving people onto other peoples LLU's without telling them, traffic strangling of the highest order the list goes on
Old 05 August 2006, 09:09 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tone Loc
For the average person tho that isn't downloading DVD films constantly to sell on for all intents and purposes it is unlimited. I've never reached the fair usage limit and to be honest never think i will even tho my connection does get a fair bit of bashing.

Tony.
Thats the point though, someone might dload a large amount of data, which is completely legal and not to do with films and games and then get a 'friendly' email telling them they have breached the FUP to find their account throttled, capped or worst.

The advertising is misleading period, it is NOT unlimited.

Trending Topics

Old 05 August 2006, 09:11 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Indeed and for what it's worth id recommend Zen
Old 05 August 2006, 10:13 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

I'm with BT's option 4 package (8Mb). Unfortunately I went over their 50GB download limit by 15GB and now have to pay them another £15 ontop of the normal bill next time due to their £1 every over 1GB fair policy.
Old 05 August 2006, 10:59 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

I would recommend Zen as well. They do have download limits (50gb per month, DOWNLOAD ONLY (most ISP's are upload and download)), but first class customer support. Which I never use as their connection is so stable and fast.

Steve
Old 06 August 2006, 01:20 AM
ScoobyWRX300
Scooby Regular

I've heard the cheap Sky Broadband deals are only currently available to approx 25% of UK. In other areas they can offer 8Mb to anyone else for £17/month (Connect product). Don't know if they are actually connecting anybody up yet or if they're just registering interest.

I have been with TalkTalk for the last year but over the past 2 months have found their support/customer service to be useless. Indian/South Africa call centers, anything up to 2 hours in a queue to speak to someone and took me over a month to get a MAC code despite wasting approx 10 hours on calls chasing them.

I live in an area where there is no LLU so the cheap Sky & TalkTalk deals aren't available to me.
Several people at work have recommended Pipex to me and I'm in the middle of switching to them. I haven't much personal experience of them but each time I've spoken to their customer service dept they have been very helpful and the phone gets answered in seconds not hours like TalkTalk.
The deal I'm going for is 8Mb/unlimited(fair usage policy), all UK local/national calls included, cheap calls to mobiles + line rental included = £29.99/month. Nowhere near as cheap as Sky or TalkTalk Free Broadband but the best I could find in a non LLU area.
Old 06 August 2006, 06:58 PM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

bt three years 2m no problems
Old 06 August 2006, 07:33 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Fuzz
I'm still with PLUSNET
never had a problem with them (must have been with them at least 3 years now)
Had the best reviews and product / price listing at the time for a 2MB connection.

2006 reviews rated them the leading provider for...

Overall satisfaction 92%

Speed and payment plans 87%

Recommend a friend? 82%

Customer support 72%

Value for money 86%

Andy

and if you do go for them, use the recommend a friend thing and add me as the recommender so I can get 0.50p off my subscription
*Clicks fingers*

Right, up till last month I had enjoyed a faultless connection to broadband via plusnet- an ulltra stable fixed 2 meg line! Would not have hesitated to recommend them!

Then, on July 6th it all went wrong!! I got LLU'd. Now, to my understanding this means that although PN are still your ISP, it's not their hardware at the exchange, so if there is a fault PN have to report it to their suppliers to sort. The same kinda thing happened before on IPstream, except the suppliers were BT. Unfortunately the suppliers that PN are using are Tiscali! Do a search and you'll find that their customer service is widely lamented!!

Anyway, the switch to LLU took down my connection. It was not restored until over 3 weeks later!! The worst thing was, although the LLU move caused the initial fault, it was a simple username problem that caused the bulk of the delay and it took weeks for them to identify this simple issue!!

To be fair, they admited that the move to LLU caused them major technical headaches and that their support team was just overwhelmed, but even so, no connection for 3 weeks????

The line is up and running now and seems to be fine, but my confidence in their technical support in the current arrangement has been very much shaken. If I experience any more downtime that is not resolved within 24 hours, I'll be off.

BTW moving ISPs is much harder from LLU than Ipstream as you can't just ask for a MAC key at present, you need to order a cease and reprovide which will involve a few days downtime.

I'm confident that PN will recover from the recent fiasco and will once again provide the faultless service I once enjoyed, but you should go into it with your eyes open!

Ns04
Old 06 August 2006, 07:51 PM
Charles aka Charlie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jpor
I'm with BT's option 4 package (8Mb). Unfortunately I went over their 50GB download limit by 15GB and now have to pay them another £15 ontop of the normal bill next time due to their £1 every over 1GB fair policy.
How did you manage that?

Do you ever get out to drive your car?

You're making me worry now (another BT customer), is there any way in checking the download usage mid-month?

PS Recommend the service and (free) wireless BT home hub.
Old 06 August 2006, 07:54 PM
wrx-ian
Scooby Regular

cheers for all the advice. Been looking at website after website all starting to look the same now. looks like the is a lot on offer out there. just need to make my mind up and see if I can get it sorted by the weekend.