Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Wireless question

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2006, 11:52 PM
Tim Taylor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wireless question

Can this be done and how easy is it to do:

I currently have a wired Broadband at home. I'm planning to get Sky HD which requires a phone line and I want to connect my Xbox 360 to Xbox Live. There is no phone line in the front room with the Xbox and Sky. Can I install a wireless router in my hall, connect the Xbox and the Sky to a wireless reciever to enable me to use my xbox and keep Sky happy with a telephone connection. Then update my PC with a wireless connection upstairs?

I'm sure it can be done but I don't know what kit I will need.

Any suggestions?
Old 04 August 2006, 12:04 PM
greemayes
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Mate,

Your xbox 360 and PC will be fine over wireless, but to the best of my knowledge, sky will need a standard wired telephone connection still.

When they installed sky+ at mine, they created a long extension from my telephone point in the hallway and fitted a splitter.

Still nothing to stop you putting the wireless router in the hallway though and getting a wireless card for your PC. (360 is wireless already - the expensive package one anyway!)

If you've got BT broadband or something that runs throught the phone line, you'll need a Router with ADSL modem built in. If your broadband comes through cable (e.g NTL/Telewest), you only need a Wireless Router (cheaper as it doesn't have the modem in).

HTH. Good luck!

Gaz