Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Anybody work or know anybody at Dell?

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2006, 10:23 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anybody work or know anybody at Dell?

To cut a long story short, my friend has just bought a Laptop from Dell.
Very happy with it until within a week of owning it, the trackpad came loose.

It's been sent back to Dell, where he has now been told that it requires a new motherboard.

Now, I've got to contact Dell and have a go, as my friend is deaf, and aside from his mobile (texting), relies on his computer for contact with the outside world.

My thoughts would be that the laptop should just be replaced, as it's under warrantee.

What do you all think?

Dan
Old 31 July 2006, 10:28 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Morally yes it should be replaced as a defective item. Although I am sure the law states that they have to be given a chance to repair and rectify the problem first.
Old 31 July 2006, 11:04 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Maybe if I complain and perhaps state "as a goodwill gesture".......

Dan
Old 31 July 2006, 03:25 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Was the laptop bought with CAR (Collect And Return) or onsite warranty? You best bet either way is to complain and play on the fact its not fit for purpose. Good luck though. Retailers have to be given the chance to repair a product.

Darren
Old 31 July 2006, 10:38 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

yeh - the lappy was bought by my mate. He's deaf, so communication is difficult!

Was told today that the reason why it was taking so long was a collapsed warehouse roof.......

Not really my mate's problem though. Shame really, as he needs his lappy to manage his finances and pay bills.......

Poor show by Dell IMHO.......

Dan
Old 31 July 2006, 10:44 PM
jaydut
Scooby Regular

usually (dont quote me on this though) im sure there is a statoury period when you buy something if it develops a fault you can have a replacement or refund when i worked at dixons 20 yrs ago it was 28 days, a motherboard replacement after 1 week is c***p.
Old 31 July 2006, 10:58 PM
jaydut
Scooby Regular

just had a quick look an a consumer website and it says if you recieve the goods and they are faulty you are entitled to a full refund i know ur mate had it for a few days but they have to allow you reasonable time to examine the goods so id follow that line.

Trending Topics

Old 01 August 2006, 05:54 AM
swiss scooby
Scooby Regular

At HP, we would call this case a DOA (dead on arrival). If something breaks within the first 30 days, The whole product will be exchanged. Several support possibilities are available (3y pick up & return, 3y onsite, post warranties after 3 years, etc). Good luck with your dell product!
Old 01 August 2006, 09:54 AM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Having had a lot of experience with Dell (Not working for them) my recommendation would be to get on the blower to customer service and complain,complain,complain....
If you don't get a satisfactory answer from the first person you speak to ask to speak to a supervisor.If that doesn't work ask for a manager and explain the situation to them (Don't be fobbed off by them saying we'll get a manager to call you - It won't happen!!!)
Always exagerate the amount of time you've spent on the phone to them stressing that you have spoken to xyz who has passed you here and there and if they try to fob you off with the collapsed roof bullsh1t tell them that that really isn't your problem.
Make sure you stress that your friend is deaf and that he 100% depends on his computer to communicate with the outside world!!
Incidentally,how old is the computer? I think with Dell that if it's in its first 30 days you are entitled to a replacement computer if there's a problem like this.

Good luck and remember,be polite on the phone and stand your ground,don't be fobbed off by people saying they'll return your phone calls or get somebody else to call you 'later' - Been there done that and it doesn't happen!

Let us know how you get on?

Nick
Old 01 August 2006, 09:57 AM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Just having a thought,if they do send him a new laptop then your friend will probably lose the data that's on the hard disk in the old machine if he hasn't taken a backup prior to returning it to them.
Something to think about before you line up for your 'discussions' with Dell
Old 01 August 2006, 11:48 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

We've now gone through the complaints procedure, so will see what happens. (probably nothing though)

tbh, my mate's now got to the stage where he wants the lappy back. end of. the replacement bit will still mean the computer's brand new. We constructed a communication for the complaints form asking Dell whether or not they thought it was appropriate for a deaf person to be a victim of their poor quality product and the resulting farce that has occured.....

Will wait and see what happens. Will probably call them again later too. TBH, the whole thing is just a case of bad luck, but it's Dell's product that has gone wrong - no fault of my mate's. He's now suffereing because of it.

Dan
Old 01 August 2006, 08:56 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Most places offer a 14 day DOA. However if the product still functions some manufactuerers will repair especially when it is possible it may have been damaged.

As it was bought mail order distance selling regulations take place but you should still be able to reject as goods unfit for sale but ONLY if it was boight as a cunsumer sale so it it was paid for on a business card then you do not have the same rights.

Most reasonable companies would simply replace the unit unless they suspcted inapprpriate use or lack of available stock

AllanB
Old 07 August 2006, 11:58 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

OK - this is now taking the p1ss

After being assured about receiving a call back on Friday (didn't materialise), I've been ob the blower this morning.
The delivery date assured to me was either today or tomorrow. This has now been changed to "TBC"

Anybody got number for a manager at Dell? Or can you suggest a further course of action?

DAn