Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Sony PSP or Nintendo DS Lite?

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2006, 09:59 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sony PSP or Nintendo DS Lite?

Looking to buy one for the kids as we have quite a lot of travelling to do this year for our hols.

Which one, pro's and con's- can anyone advise?

Thanks
Old 30 July 2006, 10:50 PM
stevey boy
Scooby Regular

ive a psp for sale wif loads of games pm if interested
Old 31 July 2006, 07:18 AM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

If it was for you then I'd say a PSP (but only if you like messing about with loaders and homebrew, etc) but if it's for the kids then I'd say a DS Lite without a question.
Old 31 July 2006, 11:01 AM
nathanb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevey boy
ive a psp for sale wif loads of games pm if interested
So have I!! PM me too for price!
Old 31 July 2006, 12:10 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

My 10 year old has DS - loads of games available for it, dual screen, touch screen - loves it.
My 12 year old has PSP - not so many games, can connect to internet with web browser, can view films (convert & load on mem stick - or use UMD disk), pictures, listen to MP3s etc - loves it - should be a firmware update coming out soon (???) for it allowing you to play PS1 games

PSP would be my personal choice... but I don't really like those sort of games anyway - I have a SE P910 phone which has similar functions to the PSP - but not much in the way of games...

How about a portable DVD player?

all these things are OK ... as long as they are not prone to travel sickness

HTH

Mick
Old 31 July 2006, 01:02 PM
Criss
Scooby Regular

Ds anyday! PSP is great, but DS is soo much fun! Was sat at McDonalds playing against some little kid yesterday!
Old 31 July 2006, 01:34 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Had a PSP for nearly 2 years now (imported from Japan as soon as released) and I haven't touched it in 12 months.

Bought a DS Lite and haven't stopped playing that for the last 2 weeks, so much more fun.

Better graphics and games portted from the PS1/2 does not mean they have good playability and are enjoyable.

Trending Topics

Old 31 July 2006, 05:15 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Tip: don't let the missus have a go. I haven't seen mine for 2 weeks while she's been busy completing Mario Kart

DS all the way. Where games are concerned, there's no contest IMO.

Plus the DS can see 2x, 3x or even 4x more battery life from a single charge. Bonus.
Old 31 July 2006, 05:39 PM
leonpoole
Scooby Regular

I have both and i must say the DS Lite is much better. Yes the PSP graphics are a lot better but i find it uncomfortable to hold after about 15 mins plus the battery life isnt to clever. I cant remember the last time i actually played it anyway. The DS lite is a lot more playable and the battery lasts a lot longer than the PSP and you can play all the millions of old gameboy classics on the DS as its backward compatible
Old 01 August 2006, 11:57 AM
TimWRX01
Scooby Regular

I've got both and each has their merits. Obviously the PSP is much more powerful and an all round more capable machine.

However Nintendo makes some of the greatest games around so if you just want it for games only and you're not bothered about graphics it's perfect.
Old 01 August 2006, 01:01 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My missus is addicted that brain training thing, have used both and my geek/gadget boy head says PSP but for a quick bit of fun the DS, Lite or otherwise, the second screen/touch screen adds an extra dimension where as the PSP is just a portable PS2.

That said I will get a PSP at some point, its ineviatable but currently cant justify it as there are three DS's in the house already, Gran Turismo on the PSP may force my hand if it ever arrives.
Old 01 August 2006, 06:46 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Have you considered a gp2x instead?

www.gp2x.co.uk

Can play different format music, Xvid and Divx movies as well as play those classic arcade games....
Old 01 August 2006, 11:11 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

DS ALL THE WAY, I've commented on here before about how it's got my kids working together with each other, then helping other kids on the estate with the same games. Can't believe how anyone with kids would bother to buy a psp, it's a big boys toy, and by all accounts, not a very long lasting one at that. BIG THUMBS UP for the DS from the wilkinson household
Old 02 August 2006, 08:17 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

DS all the way

PSP stinks
Old 03 August 2006, 05:55 AM
Anticamper
Scooby Newbie

ok basicly if there is one thing i have learned over the past few years, its that sony and microsoft seem to be doing nothing for the gaming market. they upgrade the graphics and then release. thats it, nintendo on the other hand is trying diferent things. they are trying to change the way you interact with the game and i think its genious. think about it, thats all games have ever been. they upgrade the graphics and it seems like they lower the playability.

thats my opinion on the company's, as for ds vs psp? for the price of one psp you can buy 2 ds's and 1 mario kart and play with a friend(download play). that pretty much should sell it. as far as i have seen on the psp there isn't like... well basicly with my ds me and friends would get to gether and play games together. the one time i watch 2 people playing the need for speed game for the psp, i walked between the psp's and they got disconected...

basicly it seems like the psp is better if you're looking for a media dealio with the chance to play a game or 2. the ds is more for playin multiplayer type stuff. worms world party and mario kart, 1 copy and like 4 or 8 (respectivly) ds's and you got yourself a hell of a time.

edit : and no the ds does not play game boy games, it plays advance and ds games. and i remember hearin about a 4 gig hard drive for the psp? they had a 4 gig flash drive for the gba slot for advanced. solid state memory FTW

Last edited by Anticamper; 03 August 2006 at 06:00 AM.
Old 03 August 2006, 08:08 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Anticamper
it plays advance and ds games. and i remember hearin about a 4 gig hard drive for the psp? they had a 4 gig flash drive for the gba slot for advanced. solid state memory FTW
Hello

You can buy a cartridge for the DS (and GBA) that plays movies. It is okay, bearing in mind the screens are so small. The cartridge allows you to plug in Compact Flash, SD or the amazing (small as a finger nail) MicroSD cards. The limit is 2gb though.

If movies are your thing, the PSP is better. If you like games, and want the occasional movie as a distraction whilst you are stuck somewhere then the DS is very good.

Steve