Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Broadband Problem.

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2006, 08:57 PM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broadband Problem.

We are having a problem with the broadband interfering with the phone, we get a hissing sound every 10 - 20 secs or so. As I wasn`t in when it happened, the better half rang the BT hinder desk. They talked her through some stuff , and asked her to take the front off the master box in the front room and put it in the "test socket".

When I got home and had a look at it, I disconnected the everything from the extension, swapped over the microfilters but to no avail. The interference would stop when I tested the whole connection setup, phone and adsl router (netgear wg834) to the " test socket " and all interference has gone.

Now i think this "test socket" is the connection to the bt line that the front plate of the master box needs. as cable for the extension upstairs comes of the front plate. If this is the case the problem lies with the front plate of the master box.

If so who owns it , do we own it or do BT own it, and who`s responsibilty is it to replace it if it does fail.

We did have a quite bad storm here yesterday so that could of contributed to the failure.

Jase
Old 07 July 2006, 09:12 PM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

this box is owned by bt but it is your responsability to keep it in good repair that said it is much more likley to be a problem with the wiring or something plugged in have you checked (if you have )sky this is oftten overlooked as once sited it is then forgotten about if you can get hold of a krone conector you can dis wires off of front plate and then try it and yes lightening is a problem and can even damage or destroy computers and modems also filters (as my father inlaw found out the other day ) hope this helps steve.
Old 10 July 2006, 01:12 PM
Criss
Scooby Regular

As in above post, your problem must lie within your extensions!

If I lived near you i'd pop in and have a look (im a BT/openreach engineer)

1) unplug everything from every socket.
2) Take the front plate off the master socket
3) plug 1 phone into this socket that has been exposed and listen for any noise
4) If you hear noise try a different phone if its still the same ring BT (150)
5) If there is no noise you know the problem lies on your wiring or equipment in the house to which BT charge quite alot to repair + a call out charge.
6) Plug the front plate back on and listen again with a phone (preff a corded one) If you hear noise then its one of your extensions that is to fault.
7) Try plugging BB filters in ALL of your sockets including the master (even the one that doesnt get used behind the fridge!
8) Check for noise, if no noise... problem solved - you need to have a filter in ever single socket that is connected!
9) If noise persists, take the front plate off the master socket and double check that it is definatley crisp clear.
10) You should be looking at the front plate to which your extensions are terminated to, colour and number coded like this...

1 = nothing
2 = Blue with white stripes
3 = Orange with white stripes
4 = Nothing
5 = White with blue stripes
6 = Nothing

If you do not have all the numbers its quite normal, don't panic. If the 3(Orange white) is connected leave that(It only makes your extension sockets ring)

We need 2 and 5 (see above)

If you have more than one extension, you will have two blue wires terminated on number 2 and two white/blue wires on number 5 and two oranges on number 3.

and so on to a max of 4 wires to a terminataion, depending on how many extensions you have!

Before starting this bit, you will need a very small flat screwdriver(like opticians use)

take one wire from 2 and one from 5 make sure they are both comming from the same length or white wire and with a quick pull, yank em out of the terminations

Tape them up so you know which ones to put back in and replace the front plate, check the line with the front plate attaqtched to the master socket, if no noise you know its on the extension that is now disconnected, leave disconnected and pat yourself on the back, job done
Old 10 July 2006, 09:29 PM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

Right After some investigation, and the fact I borrowed a krone tool from work, Disconnected the extension from the main socket, noise disapears, So go up stairs and pull the only extension plate we have off the wall, and guess what I have two sets of cable attached to that, I think I know what else it attaches to. so I think i`m going to have a look inside said equipment, and pull the telephone wires from it to stop it interfering.

Jase
Old 10 July 2006, 11:08 PM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your help guys, the piece of equipment I thought might of been causing the problem was causing the problem so I disconnected it from the phone line. All is good now.