Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Whats it worth? G5

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2006, 12:53 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Whats it worth? G5

Hi Maccers,

Got a G5 Dual 2.5ghz with 2gb RAM, superdrive, 160gb, Airport and Bluetooth.
Wired keyboard and mouse. (It is just a DP not a DC/DP)

What's it worth these days do think?

As mentioned before, tempted by MacBook but now considering new MBP and selling the G5, does seem a bit over kill having both.

Any thoughts, cost about £2400 20 months ago.

Anyone looking at G5 towers or is everyone going to be waiting for the imminent Mac Pro?

Rich
Old 07 July 2006, 08:42 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Hi Rich,

I'd say about £900 - £1000......... probably more.

Mac Pros will be good, but not that much better than the G5.....

A dual 2.5 is still one seriously potent machine

I'm in the same position - just getting a MBP for general use and keeping the G5 for my studio, even though the MBP could cater for all occasions.....

2.5K is a lot of money to lose imho - I've still got an old G3 Beige knocking about. Runs most things pretty well still - even after 8 years
How many PC owners can say that?

Dan
Old 07 July 2006, 09:18 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Yes, it is a lot to lose and that might be the stumbling block but a laptop running XP would be very handy... I could get rid of my crappy old PC and the G5 and make some room in the office! I just can't see the point of having both but if the G5 sale goes most of the way to a new version 15" MBP then it's tempting.
Old 07 July 2006, 10:50 PM
Father Jack Hackett
Scooby Regular

Funny - I asked on here http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...36#post5559036 when the Intel Macs came out whether the G5's would reduce in price. Folks said no because people were nervous about the Intel Macs. Is that nervousness gone now? Prices on eBay don't seem to have dropped but you guys seem to be making the jump ...
Old 07 July 2006, 11:45 PM
mattbeef
Scooby Regular

tbh i think apple stuff will always hold its value i mean there are peopl still running OS9 and are more than happy doing so hence why the resell prices havent dropped that much
Old 08 July 2006, 01:28 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

If I hadn't have had the misfortune of breaking my G3 Pismo Powerbook, I wouldn't be making the "jump"... I was perfectly happy with the G3 running OSX......

Same with my G4 tower and G5...... wouldn't sell em for the world. But that's just my opinion

Dan
Old 08 July 2006, 08:07 AM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

In a couple of months you may find people panic buy G5s again like we saw 6 months ago when were saw an increase of over 160% in unit sales. Once to Adobe pro apps are Universal though I do expect the bottom to drop out of the market but thats won't be until early/mid 2007 at best.

AllanB

Trending Topics

Old 08 July 2006, 09:05 AM
mattbeef
Scooby Regular

TBH i dont think people will panic buy G5 towers though
1) they arent that cheap
2) come on people apple said everything will be intel by the end of 2006
3) most people who really warrent a G5 have one

I have to admit though i think the price of the PPC stuff will drop when Adobe stuff goes UB
Old 08 July 2006, 01:32 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

People have been panic buying G5s already FACT ! Several large newspapers and publishing groups including one well know daily paper have bought several hundred G5s to future proof themselves. There were severe supply shortages on G5s around 6 months ago.

Buying a G5 now to update an older machine may not seem cheap but its cheaper than not being able to run classic mode if you need that or having to have any bespoke application re-written. Alos take into the account the cost of upgrading some of the key apps to get them to run at full speed. SOme of the high end apps are slower on an intel box than on a G5, mainly the graphics intensive stuff and its customers that do this high end stuff who are supporting large numbers of users that have been bulk buying. One compnay bought about 40 machines as the cost of redeveloping thier newspaper system to run on universal would be several hundred thousand pounds.

AllanB
Old 08 July 2006, 01:44 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Yes, Not being to run Classic is actually a potential problem for me albeit a small one but that very point alone might mean I keep the G5 and get the cheaper MacBook.