Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

New router, quick easy question!

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2006, 05:34 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New router, quick easy question!

ok...i had a wireless router - it broke so i was using the supplied adsl modem from my ISP...but thats no good as i need to run my home network so i go to PC World for a new router - and buy the wrong thing!

i end up with a router with no modem built in!!!!

anyway, surley its as easy as plugging the pc's into the router (and using its wirless feature for those that arent hard wired in) and plug the little modem from my ISP into the router?

i have done this and my network is fine, all pc's show up ok....but despite putting my ISP provider details in the router home page i cant get it to see an internet signal? althoygh the internet light on it is on so it is "getting" it.

any obvious things i may have missed?
Old 02 July 2006, 05:45 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

keep everything as simple as possible.... but not simpler. Could you exchange the router for an adsl one?

wouldn't the modem have to have the login information, are you sure you are not putting the username and password in the PPoE part of the router

if you have a standalone modem which then goes through a broadband router then it should work but id try for an all in one jobby

edited to add so it so would have to be modem > Router > PC's connected to router (be it wired or wireless)

Last edited by mike1210; 02 July 2006 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02 July 2006, 08:10 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mike1210

edited to add so it so would have to be modem > Router > PC's connected to router (be it wired or wireless)

yep...and realy dont want to go back to pc worlkd!!!
Old 04 July 2006, 09:13 PM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

try conecting your computer directly to adsl modem then input your login name and pasword if this works then connect to router i realise you may have done this but if adsl light is on it is seeing your exch another silly question but is your account up to date (PAID UP)
Old 04 July 2006, 09:17 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

incidently, what happens when you type this and only this into interner explorers address bar and press return:

If that works it could be DNS related... just a thought (but unlikely to be the problem)
Old 06 July 2006, 12:48 AM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

ok.......gave up, took it back and got a new Netgear ADSL router that does a nice 200+ MBPS wirless
Old 06 July 2006, 01:36 AM
Criss
Scooby Regular

Your modem stil needs to be asked to log on to the internet

Like when you click internet explorer and it pops up saying connect and has your username and password! The modem will not do this unless you ask it to, im not sure how to do it through a router as I got rid of my voyager 105 for a nice linksys wireless G! Best and easiest modem router ive ever worked on! Although if your not on BT broadband then it will take some tweaking to get optima performence and to get java pages working took me a few hours of changing settings(all thanks to AOL PPOE and not PPOA like BT has

If you take the router back and buy a modem router (with wireless) it will be much easier to setup and maintain and faults that arrise