Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Airport Express - shld work with an XBox?

Search this Thread

Old 15 June 2006, 03:15 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Airport Express - shld work with an XBox?

Have sorted my wireless router issue and the Airport Express is now cheerfully connecting and playing music without interruptions (have connected the Toslink to a Yamaha surround sound amp to do the processing and it sounds terrific!).

However, I also hoped it would act as a wireless bridge to connect the Xbox to Xbox Live - confusingly the Xbox says there isn't even a wire connected (have tried straight ethernet and crossover cables). Can't see any obvious changes I could make to the Express settings. Is it possible to use it in this way or is the Express merely a receiver of data?

Thx

Gordo
Old 15 June 2006, 03:34 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

Similar scenario, but i wanted the express to use as a point for a laptop.

The express will only act as an bridge if you have the Air-port Base station, SwissTony told me.
Old 15 June 2006, 03:42 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I've got both an Airport Extreme and Airport Express and the Express is setup in much the same way as yours, ie; xbox in the LAN port to allow it to get onto Live, which it does, plus connected to my AV amp so I can use the Amp as a "remote speaker" in iTunes.

Try connecting a regular laptop to the LAN port on the Express and see if that can connect, as it'll offer more diagnostic tools than the xbox will. If a laptop can connect to the network, then the xbox should be able to.
Old 15 June 2006, 05:34 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
I've got both an Airport Extreme and Airport Express

That's the thing, neither of us have. Well i haven't and i'm guessing Gordo hasn't either.
Old 16 June 2006, 09:54 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Nope - I haven't go an Airport Extreme and will take the laptop home tonight to see how that gets on - it is frustrating as it seems odd it can only act as a bridge with an Extreme - all feels a bit unneccearily proprietorial - but then it is Apple kit
Old 16 June 2006, 02:07 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Silly question I know, but do you have the PC version of the airport utilities? If not you can download them here.

I'm using the Airport Admin utility to look at my Express from my PC. I can see the "WDS" tab.

In this tab I have "Enabled this base station as a WDS" enabled and set to "remote base station". The other options are "main base station" and "relay base station"

From the descriptions below, you do NOT want it set to "main base station", you either want remote or relay and I'd go for remote.

Also check the "Internet" tab and see what the "connect using" option is set to, mine is set to Airport (WDS) as it's connecting to the Extreme base station. The theory is that yours should be setup with that option, and obtaining an IP address from the wirless router you have.

It's possibly this bit that is stopping the Express from working the way you think it will, as it might not be possible to select the Airport WDS option unless you're connecting to another Airport device.