Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

RAM

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2006, 06:48 PM
p1ggm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RAM

ok i dont have a clue with computers, looking at upgrading the ram in it the pc, it has 4 slots that all look the same, 2 are orange and 2 a purple type colour

1 stick(thats all there is) is in an orange one, so can i just put another one in the other orange slot, or does it not matter? are all the slots for ram?

Ta

Gordon
Old 12 June 2006, 07:00 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

The best way to get an exact match is to download CPU-Z free from the net and it will analyse the ram and tell you what make and speed you have and you can then search for a match on something like the crucial memory selector.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/
Old 12 June 2006, 07:42 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you're motherboard can use Dual Channel RAM. I.e if you bought paired Dual Channel Memory and put both sticks in either the 2 orange or the 2 Purple slots, you're PC will benefit from a faster memory channel running in 128-bit mode.
As it stands you have standard un-branded/branded RAM, and to get the most out of it, buying another stick of RAM with the same branding and speed rating will help.