Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Odd PC connection issue

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2006, 08:39 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd PC connection issue

Afternoon/Evening,
Boss has a PC running XP Home. He's got it connected via ethernet to a hub, and then to a router.

Network connections lists two connections, one "mycybernet" is the broadband connection, the other is "Local Area Network" I'll let you guess what that one is

So, he double clicks on the MyCybernet shortcut on the desktop, clicks to sign in, and it does so.

However, after a couple of mins he cannot access anything on the internet. If he fires up IE then when it tries to go to the home page (setup us google) it gives an error saying the page cannot be found. Same if we try to access any other sites. If I try to VNC from this machine to another it fails, some error about the queue or socket not being available.

If I go into DOS I can ping various servers with no problem at all.

The real pisser is that we have internet connection sharing enabled on the MyCybernet connection and have an iMac connected to the hub and it's accessing sites and using VNC with no issues at all, so we can more or less rule out it being the connection itself.

Anyone got any ideas as to what could be causing it? We've run AV and Anti Spyware software on it and it does not find anything at all.

It's up to SP2 with all the latest available updates from Windows Update. It is a legit copy of XP as it passes the WGA check.

If we reboot the machine, it's ok for a couple of mins then we have the problem back.

Any ideas?
Old 05 June 2006, 08:49 PM
swaussie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds to me like a DNS timeout issue.

Try this page as its a good description on how to change it.

http://drewthaler.blogspot.com/2005/...n-windows.html