Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Anti Virus Sotware help please

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2006, 09:25 PM
MJN 555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti Virus Sotware help please

Hi , I need some advice from those with better knowledge on this subject than myself.

I have an old PC running Windows 98, with no protection other than that which came with the PC 8 years ago, I use Firefox as the browser.

I have no firewall or anti spyware/trojan etc

I realise its time I sorted some decent software and need some recommendations, I use it for eBay, Paypal, internet credit card mainly plus basic surfing and my daughter now goes online pretty often so probably need some parental controls.

Have done a search on here and read some posts to get some idea but would appreciate any further help

Cheers
Old 03 June 2006, 09:29 PM
AVZ
Scooby Regular

There are lots of programs out there but i would recommend a new machine. £400 will buy you a nice new Dell with 17" flat screen now. Great value for money and once you have that i would recommend McAfee Internet Suite.

My reason for this are that you get alot for your money (about £30) and you can choose what you want to install.

On an older machine you will notice that the latest antivirus software packages will impact the performance of your machine. Example: when you are sending e-mails the pc may seem slow. The anti virus software scanning your e-mails will be causing this.

Do a search on www.downloads.com

Hope it help
Old 03 June 2006, 09:31 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Do you play Russian Roulette as well?

Okay. I believe kapersky is a good Anti Virus. Not sure what the compatibility is on it though.

Personally I use McAfee Anti-Virus, BlackIce Defender Firewall, Windows Defender and Spybot for Anti spyware.
Old 03 June 2006, 09:37 PM
MJN 555
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by jpor
Do you play Russian Roulette as well?

Okay. I believe kapersky is a good Anti Virus. Not sure what the compatibility is on it though.

Personally I use McAfee Anti-Virus, BlackIce Defender Firewall, Windows Defender and Spybot for Anti spyware.

No but I take your point, thanks for the info, I guess I have been very lucky to have gone this long with no obvious problems.

Cheers
Old 03 June 2006, 09:43 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MJN 555
No but I take your point, thanks for the info, I guess I have been very lucky to have gone this long with no obvious problems.

Cheers
I think you've been exceptionally lucky. Especially with on-line credit card fraud.

What spec is the PC you're using at the mo?

Some software may require a certain amount of RAM and Hard Disk space before you can install it. Also Windows 98 is no longer supported by Microsoft, so you will be hard pressed to get any security updates for it.
Old 03 June 2006, 09:49 PM
MJN 555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jpor
I think you've been exceptionally lucky. Especially with on-line credit card fraud.

What spec is the PC you're using at the mo?

Some software may require a certain amount of RAM and Hard Disk space before you can install it. Also Windows 98 is no longer supported by Microsoft, so you will be hard pressed to get any security updates for it.
256MB RAM
500 MHz Celeron Processor
8GB Hard Disk of which 50% is empty

Cheers
Old 03 June 2006, 10:08 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MJN 555
256MB RAM
500 MHz Celeron Processor
8GB Hard Disk of which 50% is empty

Cheers
With that spec IMHO you're best bet is to try and get a copy of Windows 2000, and have that installed instead of Win98.

Reasons for this:

More stable than Win98

Have 2 seperate logins. 1 for you and 1 for you're Daughter.

You'll get security updates from Microsoft.

Should be able to get software that will be supported on that Operating System.

Cheaper than buying a brand new PC.

Downsides:

May need new drivers for the devices you have installed on you're PC

Will need some Computer knowledge on how to install windows 2000.

All data/documents will need backing up.

You will have to install the Internet stuff again and configure it.

Will loose approx. 60 to 80% space on you're current Hard Disk.

But you will still need to buy security software like Anti-virus, Firewall and Anti-Spyware.

If you have a spare couple of £100. Then maybe a new PC thatcomes with Windows XP, Anti virus etc.. could be the way to go.

Trending Topics

Old 03 June 2006, 11:25 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The net isnt as bad as the media make out. You're not going to get your life savings robbed if you use some common sense.

Anyways, as for Antivirus/spyware software, i've always used Nod32, it's cheap and uses virtually no resources (so you can't tell it running).

As for getting a new pc because you're on windows 98 is insane, if your car runs out of petrol do you buy another?, if your pc works then why change it?

Simple, get a good antivirus/antispyware program and don't give out your passwords/bank details to ANYONE.

There's a 1 in zillion chance of anybody ever hacking your pc, 99.9% of fraud is from people replying to emails asking them to confirm there credit card details / passwords etc.
Old 03 June 2006, 11:51 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

If all it is for is basic domestic computing and net surfing then I recommend an Apple Mac. Rock solid OS (mine hasn't crashed since the advent of OS X some 6 years ago) and no worries about virus's CLICKY. Simple, intuitive and user friendly, and most importantly, reliable. I use PC's and Mac's at work, and in the last 10 years I have learnt that for home use I simply wouldn't entertain anything with Microsoft on it. A Mac Mini at £450^ will utilize your existing keyboard, mouse and screen. The OS ships with just about everything you need to get up and running. Safari (much faster and more stable than IE) for browsing, Mail to check emails, iCal to run your diary, Address Book, iSync to keep your Mac and phone or PDA on the same hymn sheet, iTunes, iMovie, FrontRow (multimedia), iPhoto (to manage you galleries) and much more. I know there are 10 trillion applications out there for a PC, but if the few you need are supplied pre-installed and work perfectly and easily then who needs them.

Cue all the Mac-bashers
Old 04 June 2006, 11:10 PM
Markyboy uk
Scooby Regular

For anti virus protection take a look at AVG Free - It's free and it works with Windows 98.
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1
It recently scored 4 out of 5 in one of those PC review mags (beating several non free products like Norton)