Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Tiscali broadband

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2006, 09:05 AM
petey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tiscali broadband

So it looks like we are going to go for this, any constructive opinons???
Old 02 June 2006, 09:23 AM
richardg
Scooby Regular

we signed up a few weeks ago. no problems so far and the line was enabled quicker than they had originally quoted, so we're happy with the service to date
Old 02 June 2006, 10:02 AM
speed demoness
Scooby Regular

when we first got tiscali a few months ago... it ran really slow.
we're paying for 1meg broadband, but have since found out that our phone line can't handle that speed... so it's still pretty slowish at times... but we do have another 2 computers which connect to the net at the same time!

Got used to it now like... but i guess no matter who you decide to go with, ur always gonna get some problems along the way.
Old 02 June 2006, 10:48 AM
petey
Scooby Regular

yeah apparently they said that we can only get 512kbps i think this is the case with all the companies for us though
Old 02 June 2006, 11:13 AM
scoobyangel
Scooby Regular

we have used tiscali for 12 months or so, never have any probs with them.. bt upgraded our phone line when we first got it because it was slow, and that was due to the line being rubbish, once that was sorted we now have super fast broadband, with 3 computers networked to it and often all on the net at the same time... i recomend them, really good service i have had from them!
Old 02 June 2006, 12:12 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had it for a few years now - 2 Meg and no real problems - occasionally we had issues with the service being down, but only once or twice and not for a long time now. Help desk in india but pretty efficient.

Biggest pain is I paid/ pay for it via a credit card which I'd rather get rid of now - at the time they wouldn't accept bank dd, but if I want to change my method of payment then I have to get a new address, which is annoying.
Old 02 June 2006, 12:16 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

My brother in law uses them (he's under age, so my wife pays and manages the account).

We have had nothing but problems from Tiscali.

* Every time you call them to talk to them you have to spend 30-40 minutes on the phone (0870 number) *in a queue* before you get to speak to anyone.
* The helpdesk is full of complete numpties. They have no clue about anything and all they give you is "standard replies" from a sheet when you have a problem. The helpdesk is also in India (I hate calling Indian call centres)
* The call centre staff is rude and unhelpful. If you have a problem they refuse to pass you on to their manager or give you their name (happened twice).
* Their DNS servers seem to be restarted quite often, which means you can't browse the internet even if you are physically connected.

And finally: The inlaws changed the telephone number (not the line, just the number) and everything was working hunky dory for several months (i.e. the internet was working fine). We finally got around to updating the details with Tiscali and they promptly said they needed to cut our internet service off for *two weeks* to update the details. Wtf?!? No explaining to the lady that it was the same telephone line, with the same "BT Line ID" helped, she insisted that she had to cut service off for two weeks.
Eventually, after spending about 30 minutes arguing with her, we managed to convince her not to do anything with the account, so we still have the incorrect telephone number listed.

I have to give them that the monthly cost is low, but they recoup it by having 0870 numbers for the helpdesk and rubbish service when something goes wrong.
Old 02 June 2006, 12:17 PM
Zip Boing Arial Whoop
Scooby Regular

Don't they are crap.

Foreign help lines, little cstomer service.

We install a lot of Broadband connections for people and find Tiscali the worst to deal with. If you have a problem, they just don't care. If your on a residential braodband package try getting a fixed IP address - you can't!!

I am sure if all you want is a cheap connection, don't need any support or other add-ons they are probably as good as anyone else.

But if we go to ajob and they have Tiscali we always try to get them to change, remeber if there cheap, they must cut corners somewhere.
Old 02 June 2006, 12:29 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Three words:

Fair usage policy

If you want to use the 'net for what it's made for, i.e. streaming video, radio, P2P, etc. you'll soon be having you connection throttled for using too much bandwidth.
Old 02 June 2006, 12:31 PM
speed demoness
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Graz
Three words:

Fair usage policy

If you want to use the 'net for what it's made for, i.e. streaming video, radio, P2P, etc. you'll soon be having you connection throttled for using too much bandwidth.
yup.. we've had the warning already!
and with 2 teens in the house.. all they wanna do is aquire music for their ipods etc.
never had any problems like that with AOL.. you could download all day with them !
Old 02 June 2006, 12:55 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Many people knock NTL but ive yet to find a fault, they even rang me up and gave me free digital TV
Old 02 June 2006, 01:45 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

WWW.V21.CO.UK Used to be with Tiscali, had no problems but when broadband arrived in our area we went over to V21. Been with them for 5 years, cheaper than Tiscali, UK based and UK support,very helpful, friendly bunch.
Old 02 June 2006, 03:10 PM
petey
Scooby Regular

right decided against tisclai now i might try and get demon it sounds quite a good deal the only thing is i don't know if i'll be able to pay by a debit joint account hey ho
thanks for the advice guys
Old 02 June 2006, 07:00 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Graz
Three words:

Fair usage policy

only if you do it between the core hours of 6pm-11pm, after that its opn house so to speak, ive had two warning for it, just tell them you dont agree, and they appologise!!!

i have had a recent email to say they are going to ammend there t&c,s in september with new usage rates applied to all, i'll change to someone else then

Mart
Old 02 June 2006, 09:45 PM
meganesport.net
Scooby Regular

oh **** NO!!!!!! DO NOT use tiscali they are fraudsters! Customer services is non existant, more importnantly you cannot dowload things on tiscali. This is a very important issue with tiscali, you cant use stuff like bit torrent or use FTP sites as they limit this type of use (you can only download at about 3k) I had the misfortune of choosing tiscali when we moved house last year, it took me about 3 months to get rid of them, in that time I was left high and dry on duial up. IMHO they should be banned from trading as they are pure 100% bona fide fraudsters who should be lined up and shot

apart from that they're great

I'm with firefly internet, its twice the cost of tiscali but its just about the only true unlimited broadband available in the UK, customer services are second to none and uptime is 100%. You get what you pay for has never been so true! Not one bit of hassle from them in almost a year

Last edited by meganesport.net; 02 June 2006 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03 June 2006, 12:00 AM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by +Doc+
Many people knock NTL but ive yet to find a fault, they even rang me up and gave me free digital TV
I've lost my NTL cable modem connection, the cable light on the modem does not come on, there is a problem with my connection! I spent 35 minutes talking to a lady in India - who informed me (roughly 20 minutes after I told her) that I have a router and it then took a further 12 minutes (0870 so 10p per minute) to book an engineer to come round on Monday and that I would be charged if I was not there.

Needless to say immediatley registered a complaint and will now have 1/2 price broadband for 3 months, and surprise surprise I had been upgraded from 2Mb to 4Mb at about the time when things went **** up and yes "this could possibly be the cause of my problems".

Thank you NTL !
Old 03 June 2006, 12:22 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by meganesport.net
oh **** NO!!!!!! DO NOT use tiscali they are fraudsters! Customer services is non existant, more importnantly you cannot dowload things on tiscali. This is a very important issue with tiscali, you cant use stuff like bit torrent or use FTP sites as they limit this type of use (you can only download at about 3k) I had the misfortune of choosing tiscali when we moved house last year, it took me about 3 months to get rid of them, in that time I was left high and dry on duial up. IMHO they should be banned from trading as they are pure 100% bona fide fraudsters who should be lined up and shot

apart from that they're great

I'm with firefly internet, its twice the cost of tiscali but its just about the only true unlimited broadband available in the UK, customer services are second to none and uptime is 100%. You get what you pay for has never been so true! Not one bit of hassle from them in almost a year
sorry not true.... i get 24k per sec dowloads from multiple sights and i,m with tiscali, thinks your setup may be needing looking at

mart
Old 07 June 2006, 08:42 AM
petey
Scooby Regular

Talking

right update:-

fogot about tiscali in the end and plumped for demon seems like a good enough company and it is not to bad costwise

any comments about these???

(be gentle as i have already ordered it)lol
Old 07 June 2006, 08:55 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by petey
So it looks like we are going to go for this, any constructive opinons???
DONT and do a SEARCH
Old 07 June 2006, 08:59 AM
nathanb
Scooby Regular

Dunno what all the fuss is with tiscali i've had them 6 months and not one problem or warning!
Old 07 June 2006, 09:16 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

you are in the minority!
Old 07 June 2006, 09:26 AM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

I've jusyt phoned them as I realised we're still paying £15.99 /month, when they advertise it for £14.99. To be fair they sorted it straight away, but have a policy of not updating your account until you ask them to. How convenient.
No problems with the connection though, after 18 months (and BT said they couldn't supply broadband, as we had the old style of exchange at the time - you'd think they'd know more than Tiscali about their own kit wouldn't you?)

Hate Indian call centres. I have a west Yorkshire accent, and it's like a commedy sketch trying to have a conversation
Old 07 June 2006, 10:17 AM
Mr.Manchester
Scooby Regular

Been with tiscali 3 years and have 2 accounts with them, had no problems what atall.
Old 07 June 2006, 11:33 AM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Another one "in the minority" here - been with them about 5 months and haven't had any problems. I download a lot (anywhere from 10GB to 20GB per month), but stick to their fair usage policy - they haven't contacted me at all.

Speed is good, I regularly see speeds of 40-50k using BT. I'm on the 1mb package
Old 07 June 2006, 08:28 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

The DNS thing is annoying. Quite often, it won't connect 1st time.

Used to be 2mb connection but now down to 1mb.

Our password this morning suddenly decides to stop working. Phone them up and they re-set it but no reason given.

Anyway, we're moving house soon and guess which isp is NOT on our shopping list!!
Old 07 June 2006, 08:58 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

I was working for a telecoms company and we used to resell tiscali which I was very nervous about doing but to be fair did a large number and didnt have a single problem. They are all on a par really, infrastructure wise you only have a problem when BT **** things up on a grand scale which affects all ISPs and alot of ISPs have poor customer service simply because they bank on the fact that 99% of the time you wont have a problem.
Old 07 June 2006, 09:12 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GaryK
I was working for a telecoms company and we used to resell tiscali which I was very nervous about doing but to be fair did a large number and didnt have a single problem. They are all on a par really, infrastructure wise you only have a problem when BT **** things up on a grand scale which affects all ISPs and alot of ISPs have poor customer service simply because they bank on the fact that 99% of the time you wont have a problem.
But BT aren't the cause for any of the three problems I listed. It was tiscali's 'infastructure' that co*kup up our login, their 'infastructure' that co*ked up the dns thing and their 'infastructure' that meant our speed was halved when all the other isp's seem to be doubling theirs.
Old 16 June 2006, 06:45 PM
teajunkie
Scooby Regular

Sorry guys I dont agree at all i'm with tiscali on the 2mb unlimited package with free landline calls 24/7,
I pay £19.99 a month get unbeatable download speeds with bittorrent and i have never had a problem in the 12 months i've used them!

To be fair though i have had several warnings from them in regards to FUP.
I just emailed them back with a load of sh*t and they came back groveling for my custom!.

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/products/br...ode=SM-NL-11AJ

Have a look for yourselves cause i cant find it cheaper anywhere else.
Old 17 June 2006, 09:33 AM
cong
Scooby Regular

my girlfriend and i have it at two different address and only problem is bt not actvating the line for 4 weeks called tiscali up in india and the women did aline check from india and found the problem out and it was sorted within 3-4 days! so not even bad customer service! how the hell do you recoup on a national number?they make about 2-3 pence per minute on it so not exactly a large profit for a 10 mintue call!!