Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

IPod Nano - Quick Question

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2006, 08:45 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IPod Nano - Quick Question

Can I just drag and drop MP3 files to the Nano to save me installing ITunes - the IPod is a pressie and I'm just putting a few tunes on before I give it to my daughter. Which folder should I drop them in and will it recognise the track name and artist and arrange accordingly?
Old 31 May 2006, 09:02 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

No, you cannot simply drag and drop tracks onto the iPod, you'll need to use iTunes to add the music.
Old 31 May 2006, 09:05 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Well I did read on another IPod thread in here somewhere that you don't need ITunes, you could just drag them into the IPod - some of the folk on the thread were doing that already.
Old 31 May 2006, 09:56 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

It's not possible, without using third-party software, and if you're going to use software to do it, why not just use iTunes.

Why can't you do it? Firstly, I *think* the iPod_Control directory on the iPod is actually hidden when viewed on a PC, I know for sure that on a Mac it is indeed invisible, so that stops you from using normal drag and drop.

Secondly, even if you could see that folder, the sub-folder structure is confusing, on my iPod I've got something like this:

F00
F01
F02
F48
F49

Inside those folders I have files such as:

SROI.mp3
SVRO.mp3

These are the actual song files, but with non-descriptive names.

Even if you did create a matching folder structure and just copy over your songs, I seriously doubt the iPod would let you play them as it uses an iTunesDB file to display the tracks in it's interface, and you won't have the information about those songs in that file.

As you can see, it'd be far easier to use iTunes to add the tracks than to do it manually as drag and drop is not really an option. Some do level this as a critisim against the iPod as with other players you can simply drag and drop the songs, and it some ways it is a pain, but I've never had a problem using iTunes so I don't see a problem with it

Last edited by Markus; 31 May 2006 at 09:59 PM.
Old 31 May 2006, 11:44 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

'but I've never had a problem using iTunes so I don't see a problem with it'

Spent the last three hours installing and removing ITunes on 2 different PC's, every installation crashed on starting ITunes.

Eventually downloaded the latest (thought that's what came with the Nano..) and installed it, crashed once, removed and reinstalled and 'hey presto' it works....

Accept that ITunes works fine but could've done without wasting an entire evening getting it to work - thanks Apple...

Did deselect the auto update option in case we end up wiping all my good work by accident.

Thanks for the post Markus - I'd probably have tried drag and drop and god only knows what that might've done...
Old 01 June 2006, 01:06 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dude get anapod, itunes as you have seen is cack.