Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

320Gb SATA Hard Disk?

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2006, 10:53 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 320Gb SATA Hard Disk?

I currently have IDE disks in my pc but these are now hitting the storage limit so I was thinking of getting a larger SATA hard disk say something like this - http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=397203 and if it would work ok run it from a SATA PCI Card Controller, something like this - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SATA-SERIAL-AT...QQcmdZViewItem

I only have IDE controllers on my current board but will be upgrading my PC in the not too distant future so will get a new board with built on SATA controllers etc, will the above work ok together? I will only be using it for storage until I get round to rebuilding/upgrading my whole PC.
Old 25 May 2006, 12:00 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stiscooby
I currently have IDE disks in my pc but these are now hitting the storage limit so I was thinking of getting a larger SATA hard disk say something like this - http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=397203 and if it would work ok run it from a SATA PCI Card Controller, something like this - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SATA-SERIAL-AT...QQcmdZViewItem

I only have IDE controllers on my current board but will be upgrading my PC in the not too distant future so will get a new board with built on SATA controllers etc, will the above work ok together? I will only be using it for storage until I get round to rebuilding/upgrading my whole PC.
If just for storage, then yes. But I wouldn't contemplate trying to boot windows off with that set-up, as you're BIOS may not support it.

On the disk you have chosen. I would go with a Western Digital, as these are a better drive.

The SATA card you have chosen is a RAID controller card. So you will be limited to RAID 0,1 to and 5. And only having 1 disk will limit you to Raid 0 (Striping).
Old 25 May 2006, 08:12 AM
jowl
Scooby Regular

There would be no speed advantage (certainly on your current system) by going SATA rather IDE. However, when you purchase a new comp, you might gain some - and you have a degree of future proofing.

WD drives are very good, quiet and run fairly cool IMO. If you get a SATAII one (300) then it will be 'more future proof' if your new board has SATAII controllers.
Old 25 May 2006, 09:30 AM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

I'm running a SATA II hard drive off of one of those cards and have no issues with it.
It is only used as a back up drive though and adds about three seconds to the windows startup with the extra RAID config screen.
You can only run it as a SATA I drive though as the PCI bus isn't up to the speed of SATA II.
Old 25 May 2006, 10:16 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Ok thanks for the reply's.

I am not worrid about RAID configs etc yet, my main reason for getting this drive, or one similar, is because my old 80Gb IDE drive keeps running out of space and its a pain in the butt when I have to keep removing stuff off it etc.

So I thought there is no point getting another IDE hard disk when I will be gutting my current PC some time soon and upgrading to a new motherboard (with SATA II on it etc). I only need a SATA PCI Card for the time being just so I can use the new SATA disk in my current PC, to store things on.