Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

LCD monitor - can I use it with a freeview box?

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2006, 07:23 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LCD monitor - can I use it with a freeview box?

Looking at changing my pc and thus would probably have a spare 17" LG 1710B screen. This has two options for connectivity - DVI and D-Sub (D-sub being the standard monitor connector that all computers have, as long as I am calling it the right thing?).

Would it be possible to link this via one of these connectors via a cable to a SCART socket on the other end that will plug into the freeview box? Thus enabling me to use it as a TV but without the tuner (given the freeview box does that?).

Anyone help, and what would the picture be like, if anything, and indeed what sort of cable should I be looking for?

Many thanks

Andy
Old 14 May 2006, 07:32 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Looks possible:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...20vga&doy=14m5

I use one of these monitors on my PC. But bare in mind that the screens refresh rate is only 16MS. SO you may get blur when things are in motion.
Old 17 May 2006, 11:29 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Thanks fella

Help much appreciated - now trying to get an aerial that works...
Old 21 May 2006, 06:10 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jpor
Looks possible:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...20vga&doy=14m5

I use one of these monitors on my PC. But bare in mind that the screens refresh rate is only 16MS. SO you may get blur when things are in motion.
Went to look at the cable today. Would work fine, only I thought it had a socket to allow you to plug in to external speakers - but it doesn't. Thus, how do people get around this if your LCD screen does not have sound or the facility? You;re going to need external speakers, and the SCART is outputting both sound and picture, but the screen only taking the picture. So is there a cable out there that splits from the scart and goes to either DVI or D-sub connection, and separately, to a speaker system (presumably through a 3.5 mm jack plug)? Any ideas...

Andy
Old 21 May 2006, 06:17 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mightyyid
Went to look at the cable today. Would work fine, only I thought it had a socket to allow you to plug in to external speakers - but it doesn't. Thus, how do people get around this if your LCD screen does not have sound or the facility? You;re going to need external speakers, and the SCART is outputting both sound and picture, but the screen only taking the picture. So is there a cable out there that splits from the scart and goes to either DVI or D-sub connection, and separately, to a speaker system (presumably through a 3.5 mm jack plug)? Any ideas...

Andy
Doesn't the freeview box have seperate phono out connectors? If it does then you can get a phono to mini jack cable and plug this into you're speakers.

Something similar to this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...31700&doy=21m5

And then have something like thi on the end of the jack socket to connect you're speakers:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...o=988&doy=21m5
Old 21 May 2006, 09:25 PM
D16GER
Scooby Regular

I think this is what you need
Old 22 May 2006, 08:24 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Doesn't the freeview box have seperate phono out connectors? If it does then you can get a phono to mini jack cable and plug this into you're speakers.

Something similar to this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...31700&doy=21m5

And then have something like thi on the end of the jack socket to connect you're speakers:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...o=988&doy=21m5
Fella
Think the word muppet and tosser springs to mind - thank you for pointing out something that is garingly obvious but I was still to stupid to see - you are quite correct and of course it makes it easy to solve it. WIll just use a simple PC speaker system plugged in via the 3.5 mm jack plug.

Thanks to Digger as well - excellent solution only I have no need for all these connections given I have the freeview box. But much appreciated...

Andy
Old 25 May 2006, 09:44 AM
kernel
Scooby Regular

Maplin are doing http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...48739&T=455928 on special at the mo.
Old 28 May 2006, 09:56 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Bought the 59 quid item from Maplin and took it home. Did it work - did it bugger? Go the message on the LCD screen saying Our of range or something like that which would seem to indicate the monitor would not work with the freeview box. Wonder if the item kernel has proposed would work or wther it is a more fundamental issue with the LCD screen not being suitable for this. May give it a go but still looking at the moment for a solution...

Andy
Old 28 May 2006, 10:33 AM
kernel
Scooby Regular

I think the one I've suggested is more likely to work as it outputs VGA at 800x600@60Hz, 800x600@75Hz, and 1024x768@60Hz. These are fairly standard panel fresh rates. The one you've bought seems to expect more from the monitor, it must support a horizontal scan rate of 15.625k. I don't know how this equates to a standard PC resolution.
Old 28 May 2006, 05:56 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kernel
I think the one I've suggested is more likely to work as it outputs VGA at 800x600@60Hz, 800x600@75Hz, and 1024x768@60Hz. These are fairly standard panel fresh rates. The one you've bought seems to expect more from the monitor, it must support a horizontal scan rate of 15.625k. I don't know how this equates to a standard PC resolution.
Many thanks Kernel - will give it a go when I take the existing cable back. Got to be worth a shot and cheaper than £60 currently spent....

Andy
Old 28 May 2006, 07:27 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Bought the 59 quid item from Maplin and took it home. Did it work - did it bugger? Go the message on the LCD screen saying Our of range or something like that which would seem to indicate the monitor would not work with the freeview box. Wonder if the item kernel has proposed would work or wther it is a more fundamental issue with the LCD screen not being suitable for this. May give it a go but still looking at the moment for a solution...

Andy
Did you try pressing the Auto/Select button on he TFT monitor?
Old 28 May 2006, 07:39 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Did you try pressing the Auto/Select button on he TFT monitor?
Yep - did a few times, and this was the only one that made anything appear - basically the message saying it was out of range. That was how I knew it was trying to do something...
Old 28 May 2006, 09:13 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Yep - did a few times, and this was the only one that made anything appear - basically the message saying it was out of range. That was how I knew it was trying to do something...
Weird.