Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Exchange 2003 Open Relay Q's

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2006, 08:27 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exchange 2003 Open Relay Q's

I only seem to be able to find a way of blocking open relay via IP addresses which is pretty useless if the mx record points straight at the exchange box (I know this isnt ideal) is it possible to just get it to accept connections for a given domain name or does it do this by default, ie only allowing what is in the Default Recipient Policy?

David
Old 10 May 2006, 09:29 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Out of the box install E2k3 does not open relay iirc.

In Relaying Restrictions, you want to set the ip's you allow for anonynous external relaying, if any, and make sure the authenticated people can send mail.

This way, Authenticated users can send external. Anonymous can send to internal addresses defined in AD. Mail between Exchange servers are authenticated ones anyway.

To be 100% sure, you should connect yourself either via telnet and send the right commands or use a simple smtp mailer, easiest available is probably OE.

I think thats right... (in a rush )
Old 12 May 2006, 08:10 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?

I know about telnet just wanted to know for definite.

David
Old 12 May 2006, 11:14 AM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

You can check your setup here:

http://www.abuse.net/relay.html

Jules
Old 12 May 2006, 11:23 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

I didnt dare, incase they add you to the RBL lists
Old 12 May 2006, 11:48 AM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Some of the anonymous tests are unable to confirm wether your mail system accepts but internally rejects certain formats of relaying so they cant really use this to create a list. I've used this site for years to test different mail configs and have had no problems with black listing.

Jules

Is abuse.net a blacklist of abusive domains or providers?

Abuse.net is not a blacklist, blocking list, or anything of the sort, and has nothing to do with blocking or rejecting mail. If someone told you that abuse.net was blocking your mail, you've been misinformed.

Listing a domain in the abuse.net database does not imply that the domain has ever done anything abusive. The majority of the entries in the abuse.net database of domain contacts were submitted voluntarily by responsible providers and domain managers. You can't conclude anything about the fact that a domain appears in the list other than that we have some idea of who the contact is.