Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Help!! IT / spamming virus assistance needed

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2006, 10:39 PM
cefski
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help!! IT / spamming virus assistance needed

Checked my ISP's webmail junk/spam folder this afternoon and found near enough 200 messages notifying me of "failed email delivery" type things from various sources. This has never happened before, so I think that my PC has probably been infected by one of those remote spamming virus things.

Bollix

So, when I got home, I did a full system scan using Norton. No viruses found, but one spyware app was flagged up. Wouldn't let me delete it, for some reason. Then ran M$ Defender, which didn't detect a thing.

Then tried to download updates for Norton, but repeatedly got stuck on the "trying to connect" window. Just had to close Norton down after nearly 2 hours of "trying to connect".

Anyone have any suggestions???

Cheers

Kev
Old 09 May 2006, 11:52 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Chances are the failed delivery messages are from someone else's machine spamming using your email address, try the Norton update again tomorrow it could be their end.
Old 10 May 2006, 08:18 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

It almost certainly won't be your p.c.. As above someone is using your e-mail address as the return address and you're getting all the crap.

If you really want to scan your p.c. get the freebies like Adaware and Spybot Search & Destroy, yada yada
Old 10 May 2006, 09:53 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
It almost certainly won't be your p.c.. As above someone is using your e-mail address as the return address and you're getting all the crap.

If you really want to scan your p.c. get the freebies like Adaware and Spybot Search & Destroy, yada yada
Seconded on 'Spybot Search and Destroy'. Can be a little flaky when downloading updates though. But it does it's job.

Last edited by jpor; 10 May 2006 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10 May 2006, 03:55 PM
D16GER
Scooby Regular

Never had trouble with updates for Spybot, just make sure you choose 'Safer Networking No 1' as the server

As for the scanning of the system, you could try an online scan at either Kaspersky or TrendMicro, both of which are excellent IMHO.
Old 10 May 2006, 07:17 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by D16GER
Never had trouble with updates for Spybot, just make sure you choose 'Safer Networking No 1' as the server

As for the scanning of the system, you could try an online scan at either Kaspersky or TrendMicro, both of which are excellent IMHO.
Where's that option? I'm currently running version 1.4 in advanced mode.
Old 10 May 2006, 08:19 PM
madmooro
Scooby Regular

some viruses sit silent once pc has started and wont get seen by norton defender etc .if you have the disc to norton pop it in the cd drive and reboot and start a scan from there .some times they will find stuff that ya didnt even know was there when pc has started .
Old 11 May 2006, 07:06 PM
cefski
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the assistance chaps. Quite reassuring.

Madmooro - dont have a disk. It's an update / renewal downloaded from the Norton site.

Still can't update the AV software. Keep getting stuck in the same place as before. Dozens more "failed delivery" messages today, too
Old 22 May 2006, 11:15 AM
cefski
Scooby Regular

**UPDATE**

BBC NEWS CLICKY

Explains everything. Signed up with Blue Frog some time back and have submitted loads of spam for their info / action. This is how the spammers have fought back.

Kev
Old 22 May 2006, 12:35 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

ditto

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=508122

I am still trying to get to grips with problems......... I'll follow this thread with interest

BTW there is one thing that Spybot will not remove (360 something???) which is a Spybot problem. Google will advise.

See also

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=515844

Last edited by David Lock; 22 May 2006 at 12:39 PM.