Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Wireless Problems

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2006, 04:58 PM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Wireless Problems

I am having problems with the wireless network in our house. The router can only be situated in 2 places either on top of the telly in one corner of the house, or in the main bedroom near the phone socket up there. missus doesn`t want it up in the bedroom for some reason. The problem is the desktop which is in the opposite corner of the house, will not connect to the network , the connection drops out around every 8 secondsone thing that could be attributed to the problem is the antenna is facing away from the router behind the computer.

I was wondering would a seperate antenna that could be placed on top of the computer desk help in anyway, has anyone had to do this in there house, or am I going to have to bite the bullet and get a MIMO router modem, aswell, I`m more willing to spend the 8 - 20 quid on the antenna than another 100 plus on another router.

regards jase
Old 24 April 2006, 06:11 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Try changing the frquency channel on the router by at least '5'

e.g if its set to 5 - try it on 12 or 1, often mobile phones and wireless keyboards are on the 2.4ghz frequency as well
Old 24 April 2006, 10:45 PM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lightning101
Try changing the frquency channel on the router by at least '5'

e.g if its set to 5 - try it on 12 or 1, often mobile phones and wireless keyboards are on the 2.4ghz frequency as well
Already tried that, as I started off on 5, one of our neighbors is using 6, So I dropped down to 1 And all I could get was around 2mbps when my laptop connected. so tried 11, all over computers fine connected around 54mbps.
The desktop is still dropping out. Might try and go higher still and see what happens but I think I had problems going up to 12 and 13 before.

Jase