Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Help! Removal of "Log On To Windows" window

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2006, 08:09 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help! Removal of "Log On To Windows" window

I accidently installed on the "Service Advertising Protocol" section on the Local Area Connections (was meant to be installing something else! - printer & file sharing)

As a result, the Netware log on box was installed.

I've clicked on the uninstall, but I'm still left with this blasted log-on box.

Prior to this, XP Pro (SP2) would just log me on automatically (including my pretty little user icon!)

How can I revert to this?

Thanks in advance,

Dan
Old 14 April 2006, 12:07 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
I accidently installed on the "Service Advertising Protocol" section on the Local Area Connections (was meant to be installing something else! - printer & file sharing)

As a result, the Netware log on box was installed.

I've clicked on the uninstall, but I'm still left with this blasted log-on box.

Prior to this, XP Pro (SP2) would just log me on automatically (including my pretty little user icon!)

How can I revert to this?

Thanks in advance,

Dan
If I'm reading this correctly, you now have the Microsoft XP logon box? Or a Novell Network Logon box?

If the microsoft XP logon box, then you can remove this by:

To turn the Welcome screen on or off
You must have a computer administrator account on a computer that is a member of a workgroup or is a stand-alone computer to turn on or turn off the Use the Welcome screen feature. Logging on at the Welcome screen is not available on computers that are members of a network domain.
  1. Open [IMG]ms-its:c:\windows\help\ntshared.chm::/shortcutCold.gif[/IMG]User Accounts in Control Panel.
  2. Click Change the way users log on or off.
  3. Do one of the following:
    • To specify that users log on to the computer using the Welcome screen, select the Use the Welcome screen check box. A user logs on to the computer by clicking his or her user account name on the Welcome screen. If a password is assigned to the account, the user is prompted to type it.
    • To specify that users log on to the computer without using the Welcome screen, clear the Use the Welcome screen check box. The Welcome screen will no longer appear when you start the computer. To log on to the computer, type your user name (and password, if you have one) in the standard Log On to Windows dialog box.
[IMG]ms-its:c:\windows\help\ntshared.chm::/note.gif[/IMG] Notes
  • To open User Accounts, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then click User Accounts.
  • Fast User Switching is available only when the Welcome screen is turned on. For more information, click Related Topics.
Old 14 April 2006, 02:08 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

thx - sorted now

Dan