Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

XP & explore... whats going on ???

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2006, 08:57 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XP & explore... whats going on ???

i dont use my computer as a method of navigationg round my system, i never have and dont see the need to!!

I use right click... explore... its quick and too the point... all my drives used to appear in there,, i say used to!!

previously when i inserted a usb device, mp3 / data bar / phone etc, it would show up as the required item with a drive letter attached to it... usually G or H

these were the front 2 usb ports... usb 1.1

i added a usb 2.0 pci card, and run a small hub of it, and a direct feed from the card to the front of the pc... and it worked fine... plug in drive,,, ding.. and there it was under right click explore...

now suddenly its gone to ratsh*t... it dosent matter if i plug anything into the usb1 or 2 ports. they dont show up under right click explore.... but they do show up under my computer,...

or they show up in right click explore, even when there not connected...

anyone got any ideas??? i dont want to have to start p*ssing around with my computer, after using rc explore for years...

its Xp sp1 btw (and no im not doing an sp2 upgrade either)

Mart
Old 02 April 2006, 09:00 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Sounds like Explorer caches the drive information. Have you tried pressing the 'F5' button to see if they re-appear when you plug in a device and look for them in explorer?
Old 02 April 2006, 09:22 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jpor
Sounds like Explorer caches the drive information. Have you tried pressing the 'F5' button to see if they re-appear when you plug in a device and look for them in explorer?
well it works for the data bar plugged into the usb 2 port, but the dvd/cdrw drive still shows the name of a dick.. even though the drive is empty

Mart