Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Converting DivX to DVD

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2006, 05:10 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting DivX to DVD

I've been trying to convert some DivX files so they'll play on regular DVD players but have been having a few problems. I used Nero Vision 4 to convert the DivX and then burn it to a blank DVD. Everything seemed to be ok so I thought I'd try it out in some of my DVD players. It played fine on my Snazio Net Cinema DVD player, no problems, but then again it can play virtually anything I throw at it. So I then tried it in my old Liteon DVD/DivX player in the kitchen and it stuttered and stalled then just stopped. The seventeen quid Tesco DVD player I have in the kids' bedroom refused to even recognise the disc at all.
Does anyone have any tips ? Is there any better software out there for doing this ? I burned the disc at 4x as I know that some players can be a bit finicky when the discs are burned at high speeds.
Old 02 April 2006, 05:21 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MJW
I've been trying to convert some DivX files so they'll play on regular DVD players but have been having a few problems. I used Nero Vision 4 to convert the DivX and then burn it to a blank DVD. Everything seemed to be ok so I thought I'd try it out in some of my DVD players. It played fine on my Snazio Net Cinema DVD player, no problems, but then again it can play virtually anything I throw at it. So I then tried it in my old Liteon DVD/DivX player in the kitchen and it stuttered and stalled then just stopped. The seventeen quid Tesco DVD player I have in the kids' bedroom refused to even recognise the disc at all.
Does anyone have any tips ? Is there any better software out there for doing this ? I burned the disc at 4x as I know that some players can be a bit finicky when the discs are burned at high speeds.
It may depend on the brand of DVD disc your using. Most players like DVD-R discs. Whilst only a few like the DVD+R variety.

Which discs are you burning onto?
Old 02 April 2006, 05:25 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

I'm using Ritek DVD+R printable discs, maybe thats what it is. I have a handful of DVD-R's I'll give it a bash on one of those. Can I just copy from the +R to the -R ?
Old 02 April 2006, 05:31 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MJW
I'm using Ritek DVD+R printable discs, maybe thats what it is. I have a handful of DVD-R's I'll give it a bash on one of those. Can I just copy from the +R to the -R ?
Yep. Use NERO Burning ROM to DVD copy the original to the Hard Disc and then burn back the image to your new disc.
Old 03 April 2006, 01:47 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

divx files are in avi format. both the video stream and audio stream need to be converted to dvd vob files. this can be done with the likes of tmpg and dvdlab. i went for the easier option and bought a cheap divx player from amazon for £25. then you can just burn the avi files to a blank cd or dvd throw it in the player and pick the file from the menu
Old 03 April 2006, 04:42 AM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

VSO divx to DVD does the lot in 1 click ... google it. I've done hundreds this way without any problems.
Old 03 April 2006, 01:21 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Cheers for the suggestions ! The only place I *don't* have DivX DVD players is upstairs, and I was kind of hoping to avoid having to buy another. I don't really put films on disc much anymore because the Snazio DVD player has a wireless net connection and I can just stream them off the PC onto the big telly in the living room, so I'm a bit behind the times. Nero Vision seems to do an ok job of recoding the video & audio streams I think it was just the type of discs I'm using. The cheapo Tesco DVD player doesn't support as many disc formats unfortunately.