Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

TOCA 3

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2006, 03:26 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TOCA 3

Anyone played it yet?
Old 24 February 2006, 04:03 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Just got it and will be giving it a go this weekend
Old 24 February 2006, 04:06 PM
W 12 X T C
Scooby Regular

yeah got it about two hours ago. its good the only thing is going from playing the 360 is a huge difference. i thought it was the hd tv doing it as the xbox does not look as good on it compared to a sd tv.
i even unhooked my xbox from the hd tv and put it on the one i used to use and it was the same. it will proberly look better when my eyes have adjusted from hd to sd if that is possible.
good range of cars so far and have just had a rip round castle combe in a vx220 turbo.
i want to race the lawnmowers.
Old 24 February 2006, 04:06 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Me too (+new wheel) = nothing else done
Old 25 February 2006, 12:19 PM
NoCatSTI
Scooby Regular

Question Comparison to GT4

I have seriously looked into buying Toca3, I have got a serious GT4 habit going at the moment (totally hooked) Does Toca3 compare to GT4 (graphics) and should i buy this

Any other driving sims/games as good, or better than GT4, IYHO of course

Thanks Paul
(Aged 42, and just discovered the lure of PS2)

Oh and i cant get used to the steering wheel i have (Venom for PS2), keep going back to joy pad. Is it the wheel or is it me??
Old 25 February 2006, 05:44 PM
Castrol
Scooby Regular

Just ordered mine (X Box), which's free with Autocar subscriptions at the moment - along with the £24 annual saving and free delivery.

The Demo's pretty good. The racing's more fun than Forza Motorsport and PGR2.

Cheers
Old 25 February 2006, 06:17 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Like it very much!
(PC version)
The first corner barge through is now much more negociable and the addition of qualifying make the grid positions a bit more reliable then always being 10+.

Anyone up for some online scoobies on track...?

Maybe set something up for tomorrow?
Old 25 February 2006, 09:20 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I can't get it to install (pc version). Just keeps hanging whilst unpacking the data. Strange thing is that it dies at a different place each time I try it
Old 25 February 2006, 09:29 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Iain Young
I can't get it to install (pc version). Just keeps hanging whilst unpacking the data. Strange thing is that it dies at a different place each time I try it
Got to laugh! PC's are great for games
Old 25 February 2006, 09:54 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I don't find it particularly funny . I've got dozens and dozens (literally) of pc games, and this is the first I've had trouble installing.

Besides, I'd keep quiet if I were you Jack. I've just got it installed after discovering the source of the problem. I disabled McAfee antivirus and it all installed fine.

Does nobody employ decent software testers any more?
Old 25 February 2006, 09:57 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

There's been loads of install problems with RD3, one fix is to disable your soundcard before and then re-install after which is a bit strange and smacks of poor QC on codies part.
Old 25 February 2006, 10:44 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Iain Young
I don't find it particularly funny . I've got dozens and dozens (literally) of pc games, and this is the first I've had trouble installing.

Besides, I'd keep quiet if I were you Jack. I've just got it installed after discovering the source of the problem. I disabled McAfee antivirus and it all installed fine.

Does nobody employ decent software testers any more?
Touchy! Ian, your problem will not be soley McAfee antivirus, as you may be able to guess we have millions of people running it just fine, myself included on a machine that's a decade old. If you feel it may be a problem with TOCA and McAfee Antivirus let me know and I'll have the lads buy a copy. We have a one to one developer/QA tech relationship, a high ratio I'm sure you'll agree.
Old 25 February 2006, 11:31 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
We have a one to one developer/QA tech relationship, a high ratio I'm sure you'll agree.
Fairly high. We have about the same where I work. I was actually refering to codemasters. Quality of game software on the pc really seems to be getting worse by the day...

I'm sure it's not a McAfee specific problem, however the game installs and runs when I disable virusscan pro, and it doesn't when it's running. I suspect it's trying to get exclusive access to a file whilst virusscan is scanning it or something.

Played the game for about an hour now, and although it's quite good, I'm not overly impressed. Graphics on the cars and scenery are nowhere near as good as I was expecting, and the car physics are not very realistic at all.

I'll play it for a while, but I doubt the interest will hold long enough for me to finish it.
Old 26 February 2006, 01:42 PM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NoCatSTI
I have seriously looked into buying Toca3, I have got a serious GT4 habit going at the moment (totally hooked) Does Toca3 compare to GT4 (graphics) and should i buy this

Any other driving sims/games as good, or better than GT4, IYHO of course

Thanks Paul
(Aged 42, and just discovered the lure of PS2)

Oh and i cant get used to the steering wheel i have (Venom for PS2), keep going back to joy pad. Is it the wheel or is it me??
I've played all the GT1/2/3/4 games, and thought they were great, but only discovered the Toca series this year (just bought Toca3) and i think there far better than the GT series of games, much more realistic driving style and grip, and more lifelike handling characteristics.
Old 26 February 2006, 07:21 PM
NoCatSTI
Scooby Regular

Thanks Shaunywrx, I best be getting out and buying TOCA3 then, PS2 or PC??

Thanks Paul
Old 26 February 2006, 11:11 PM
King RA
BANNED

Toca 3 is wicked, been playing all weekend on the PC.
Old 27 February 2006, 10:09 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Ok, I've decided that if you play it just expecting it to be an arcade game, then you probably won't be disappointed, however as a sim, it's sadly lacking.

Drove castle combe last night, and although the track layout is similar to the real circuit, the physics are way off. In the game you can take the corners much faster than you can on the real circuit, the track is narrower (especially the pit straight), and your can get around it much quicker than the real thing. Not impressed.

Also, what is it with the people at the side of the track? They're all cardboard cutouts, (they disappear when you spin the car and look at them sideways). If this game had been released a couple of years ago, I might have been impressed, but I've come to expect more these days, especially after playing Forza on the old xbox and PGR3 on the 360.

I'd give it maybe 6/10. A reasonable arcade racer, but nothing more than that...
Old 27 February 2006, 10:37 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Would never class the TOCA series as a sim, despite what Codemasters keep saying.
I always smile when they make a song and dance about the crash physics. Ohhh wonderful, so if you're really really bad at racing games and you crash so often that the car eventually disentigrates (same with the Colin McRae series), otherwise it's a feature not many people will see.
Old 27 February 2006, 08:44 PM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NoCatSTI
Thanks Shaunywrx, I best be getting out and buying TOCA3 then, PS2 or PC??

Thanks Paul

I've been playing on a PS2, but only because i've got the steering wheel and gameracer seat set up.