Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

PC Cases and their lovely Ports on the Front!!

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2006, 02:17 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question PC Cases and their lovely Ports on the Front!!

Well I upgraded / changed my pc case at the weekend to a nice new Aluminium one. All went well with the transfer of the internals into the new casing and my PC is back up and running

HOWEVER - the new case comes with 2 x Double USB and 1 x Firewire Ports built into the front of it..... nice touch I thought until after having transferred everything I realise that I've got nowhere to plug the damn cables into

The cables are made up of 3 block connectors which look like they are supposed to be plugged into the motherboard. Without changing my motherboard can anybody tell me whether there are cards that you can buy that will allow these ports to be plugged in?

Cheers

Andy
Old 20 February 2006, 04:37 PM
mattbeef
Scooby Regular

i think that you can get some USB cards that have the exposed connectors that you need it depends on the card.

have you not look at your motherboard manual to see if you do actually have the connectors
Old 20 February 2006, 04:42 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

You're right, most newer motherboards have additional sockets on them for USB1 USB2 and IEEE1394 (Firewire). Its normally a simple case of plugging the connectors from the front panel of your case straight into these sockets.

Some motherboards don't have the plastic surrounds on these sockets, so they can be hard to find (sometimes just a bunch of naked pins you plug onto)

Failing that, you'll need to buy 3rd party USB card you plug into your PCI socket. You'll need one with the aforementioned internal sockets on them. Make sure the front panel connectors have a enough cable length to run to the PCI card. You can pick these up from your local MAPLIN stores or online at the likes of dabs.com