Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

XP Help (Forgive me for I have committed a sysadmin sin ;) )

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2006, 11:32 AM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XP Help (Forgive me for I have committed a sysadmin sin ;) )

Hi peeps

Now before anyone gets into BOFH mode, I didnt want to do it !!!

I have to move an important XP machine from a SATA Dell desktop to a SATA PowerEdge 850. However, when I try and boot up the SATA HDD on the 850 I get BSOD, I assume from the drivers not being present. If I boot a xp disk, it finds it.

Any way I can install the drivers via recovery mode without fubaring the whole installation.

I *KNOW* XP shouldnt go on servers, but I wasnt given a choice
Old 02 February 2006, 12:52 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

You may need to make a SATA boot disk and boot the server with that, then try and re-install the OS. I'm not sure if there's a way to retrospectively install SATA drivers without buggerizing the OS install.
Old 02 February 2006, 06:47 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stueyb
Hi peeps

Now before anyone gets into BOFH mode, I didnt want to do it !!!

I have to move an important XP machine from a SATA Dell desktop to a SATA PowerEdge 850. However, when I try and boot up the SATA HDD on the 850 I get BSOD, I assume from the drivers not being present. If I boot a xp disk, it finds it.

Any way I can install the drivers via recovery mode without fubaring the whole installation.

I *KNOW* XP shouldnt go on servers, but I wasnt given a choice
This may help:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314082/en-us
Old 02 February 2006, 09:11 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Use to have this problem in my old job when replacing faulty motherboards for a new one, and 9 times out of ten the disk controllers would be different and had the same problem.

We normally reloaded the PC. From what I remember you can do a repair install (NOT using the recovery console) which allows you to re-load XP without formatting the disk etc.

But off the top of my head I can't remember if you have to install a 2nd copy of XP (e.g create a new windows directory and install it there) or install it over the top of the existing installation but leaving the file system intact???

I have a hunch that if you install it over the top and leave the existing file system intact, when the PC reboots after copying files it will blue screen again because it tries to load the original drivers i.e. the wrong ones.

I think you will have to install it to a new windows directory then re-install the apps. At least you will still have to data on the disk.
Old 02 February 2006, 09:48 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that peeps.

In the end what we did is get the support company out and re install it from fresh because we are paying them £3.5K to install the bloody app (irrespective of if we installed it ourselves or not)