Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Hard disk help

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2006, 11:15 PM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard disk help

I decided to upgrade my pc but know realise that I've some data on the old hard drive (not being used) that I need. When I connect it as a master drive I get the blue screen of death, surprise surprise.

Is it possible to connect the old drive and "switch off" windows from trying to boot from the old drive? Then allow me to search and copy the info over to the new drive or remove the windows part and use it a 2nd drive to bump mp3s etc?

Mark A
Old 31 January 2006, 11:30 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is possible to use the old drive as a slave. There will be jumpers on the drive beside the ribbon cable connector; you need to set these so that the drive is seen by your PC as a slave. The ribbon cable which connects your master drive should have a second connector on it which you should use to connect the new drive.

As long as the BIOS is set to boot from the master drive it shouldn't matter that you have Windows on the slave drive.

You should then be able to copy what you want from the old hard drive to the new master drive.

Once you have copied off the files that you want you may as well format the slave drive to remove windows and give you a bit more storage space.