Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Anyone here got a Philips Pronto? (universal remote control)

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2006, 08:40 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone here got a Philips Pronto? (universal remote control)

Pronto (universal remote) was thinking of getting one, to control home theatre stuff and X10 network. Almost grabbed an Ebay bargain (or so it seemed) but missed out. So still searching.

Anyone here got one? If so are they worth the money/'do what they say on the tin'?

Neil
Old 11 January 2006, 08:44 PM
The Rani
Scooby Regular

Did have a universal remote (can't remember the make) and it came with an instruction manual full of codes but still couldn't get the correct code for the TV! I do recall it wasn't as simple as they made it out to be.
Old 11 January 2006, 08:48 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

yeah, got a universal remote (marmitek) already - very quirky / bulky bit of kit/

The Pronto does RF also, so could use it for X10 control also (which makes it quite appealing)
Old 11 January 2006, 09:04 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I've got a Pronto NG, and had a Pronto Pro. I would still use if if it worked, alas it does not, does not wish to pick up presses on the screen.

It's a rather nice bit of hardware, and the fact you can create your own layouts is rather nice as well.

Pop over to Remote Central for info/reviews/CCF's/Codes/etc. It's a very good site.

I'm currently using my iPaq to control the TV, there's the build in Nevo software on it, but you can also use Griffin Technologies, now discontinued, Total Remote hardware/software product. You don't need the hardware part of it, so if you get a copy of the software, you can simply use that with the IR part of your iPaq. The advantage over Nevo is that you can use the same CCF files that the Pronto uses, very handy.
Old 11 January 2006, 09:07 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

mmm, thats interesting, I'd read that the Ipaqs IR didnt have enough power to reliably control equipment, much past 5 feet or so?

Neil
Old 11 January 2006, 09:33 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got a b&w pronto, its ok if you dont have fat fingers and buttons.. macros are pretty cool too.. ours doesnt have the rf though and is only b&w.

David
Old 11 January 2006, 09:53 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

I got a black and white one but it got used for a couple of days and went in a drawer. Had big plans for macros, icons layered menus and all kinds of stuff but in the end, the combination of not being arsed and the fact it was touch screen and not buttons destined it for the sideboard. (much prefer buttons, the touch screen thing wasn't for me, I kept having to look at it to make sure I was pressing the right buttons.)
Old 11 January 2006, 10:19 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Neil,
Well, my TV is about six feet from where I sit and the iPaq has been working flawlessly for the past few months.