Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

"operating system not found" - HELP ??

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2006, 06:34 PM
JimmyRB5PRO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question "operating system not found" - HELP ??

havinhg just returned form hols - 1 week my laptop says "operating systems not found" on boot up and just has a flashing curser!
it was not left on and was switched off any idea's pls !!!!

any help appreciated - do i have to re - install my XP home office ? If so what happens to info held in outlook ???

Cheers
James - JimmyRB5Pro
Old 04 January 2006, 06:49 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The most likely reason is that the HDD has died. Do you have a bootable CD (such as a Windows XP one)? If so, boot it up, and see if you can access C:\

M
Old 04 January 2006, 06:59 PM
JimmyRB5PRO
Scooby Regular

Question

ok M tried that and all the it seems to do id beep - i've even told it to boot from the cd-rom in the bios and still nothing .........when the flashing cursor is flashing should i be able to type into that ???
Old 04 January 2006, 07:21 PM
doug2507
Scooby Regular

Sounds like the hard disk has failed. Same thing happened to my old laptop. Was a 60gig drive and cost £120 for a replacement!
Old 04 January 2006, 08:16 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Unless you've backed up Outlook, you'll have lost the data

Hope it's not as terminal as it sounds....

Dan
Old 04 January 2006, 08:31 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Have you tried physically reseating the Hard drive (Whilst the laptop is off). The hard drive is usally situated underneath under a flap. Just in-case it's got dislodged. Then try poweringup to see if it can be detected.
Old 04 January 2006, 10:54 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimmyRB5PRO
ok M tried that and all the it seems to do id beep - i've even told it to boot from the cd-rom in the bios and still nothing .........when the flashing cursor is flashing should i be able to type into that ???

Should have explained myself in a bit more detail: you need to go into either BIOS or Boot order, and change the boot order so that the CD drive comes before the hard drive. No load the CD and reboot. You should then get the "Install Windows XP" etc routine. Wait until you get to thee bit where it asks you if you want the recovery console, and say yes. You will eventually get a flashing prompt like this: D:\ . If you are just getting a blank field with a blinking rectangle it means Windows doesn't know what to do. If you have a letter, then try typing C: + Enter. If you get a drive not found error then the HDD is dead.

It's also worth booting into BIOS to see if BIOS can see the drive. If it can't it's deffo dead.

M

Trending Topics

Old 07 January 2006, 10:58 PM
aqua
Scooby Regular

you could also try booting with a Linux boot CD which contains an OS image and this can sometimes allow you to view the corrupted hard drive and backup any critical data. Have used this several times and it works well.

Another possibility is to try a repair of the OS using your original CD.

I can probably send you a copy of the Linux boot CD if you want to try it and time is not an issue.

Henry
Old 08 January 2006, 07:31 PM
mark1234
Scooby Regular

Location: Where women glow and men plunder, Xbox Gamertag Upsidedownmark

You could also check what's plugged into it.. for some reason I'll never understand, if my usb c/f card and reader are plugged into my lappy at powerup it does exactly that.. it appears it's trying to boot off the c/f card. (I didn't think it was possible to boot a usb device, but I may be behind the times )
Old 08 January 2006, 08:04 PM
DesR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mark1234
You could also check what's plugged into it.. for some reason I'll never understand, if my usb c/f card and reader are plugged into my lappy at powerup it does exactly that.. it appears it's trying to boot off the c/f card. (I didn't think it was possible to boot a usb device, but I may be behind the times )
Hi.

FYI - Its possible to boot a machine off a USB device as long as the motherboard supports it (and the USB device is bootable). Assuming you have a big enough USB device you could install your operating system onto the memory card and significantly increase your boot time. If you are interested:

http://www.weethet.nl/english/hardwa...omusbstick.php

Cheers
Old 09 January 2006, 11:58 AM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

is there a floopy disk in the drive?
Old 09 January 2006, 10:33 PM
King RA
BANNED

Originally Posted by ChefDude
is there a floopy disk in the drive?
been there....
Old 10 January 2006, 02:52 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Boot from a diskette and at the command prompt type: fdisk /mbr <enter> Repeat this three times and then attempt to boot from the fixed disk again..... More than half of all 'failed disks' are magically restored by repairing the master boot record.

Simon