Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

360 scratching disks!!

Search this Thread

Old 31 December 2005, 04:15 PM
fatmanscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 360 scratching disks!!

I sold my one and it has started to scratch disks. Anyone else had this? It worked ok whilst i had it on PGR3 and NFS. He bought FIFA and has had nothing but trouble.
Old 31 December 2005, 04:40 PM
wah
Scooby Regular

Location: Stockport Cheshire Xbox Gamertag: Scooby WRX SMACS Member

hows has he got the machine vertical or flat ??
Old 31 December 2005, 05:43 PM
fatmanscooby
Scooby Regular

Its laid down just as i had it. I was wondering if there was a dodgy batch of FIFA games.
Old 31 December 2005, 06:52 PM
wah
Scooby Regular

Location: Stockport Cheshire Xbox Gamertag: Scooby WRX SMACS Member

Oh right not heared anything about dodgy disks
Old 31 December 2005, 07:01 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

There's a vid somewhere on the net showing a chap running a 360 horizontally and then firing up a game, and then turning the machine vertical and there is this rather nasty sound and it's scratched the disk to buggery. OK, so that scenario isn't something many will do, however, a friend of mine with a 360 had their mother walk in front of it, catching the network cable and thus causing the machine to jolt and this resulted in a scratched disk.
There does seem to be something in the 360 drive mechanisim that can scratch disks, which isn't good. I'm told if you get a screwed disk you should be able to return it and get a new one.
Old 31 December 2005, 07:04 PM
fatmanscooby
Scooby Regular

Hes tried 3 disks now all of them have ended up knackered.
Old 31 December 2005, 07:08 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I had it too - nothing since though

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=475013

I've deleted the piccies since

Dan
Old 31 December 2005, 07:23 PM
fatmanscooby
Scooby Regular

Did the machine need replacing?? How did you cure it?
Old 31 December 2005, 09:00 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Mine did it last night
Put Fifa into my disk tray and the game started to load.When it loads you then press START on the controller and it then popped up an error saying the disk was unreadable.I ejected the disk and it had a perfect score mark on the outer edge of the disk.The console is laid horizontally and was NOT touched or moved or anything whilst the game was loading...
I then phoned Microsoft this morning to see what they had to say and ended up speaking to some arrogant dutch git who said it was NOT a problem with the console but a problem with the disk itself.In fact,he went onto say that MS had had lots of problems with EA Games titles (Fifa and Need for Speed Most Wanted being the two main ones) and the reason being is that some of the EA DVD's are less than 1mm too narrow (As in 1mm diameter) and hence could cause the disk to move around in the disk tray.This is what he said would have caused the damage to my disk but I did argue saying I'd played the disk several times without a problem!!

As I'd bought my Fifa off the web and wanted a replacement today I ended up buying another copy from Woolworths today then a couple of hours later returned the faulty disk saying it was faulty.I told them I had spoken to MS and it was a known problem - Result = £50 back in my **** pocket and a brand new Fifa!! TUT TUT

Good luck

Last edited by NickAdams; 31 December 2005 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02 January 2006, 04:28 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

There's mention of the problem here (Slashdot), plus the article links to another story on Gamasutra, which details what the GameFly rental service is doing about the problem.
MS, as with overheating power supplies, is still claiming the disk issue is occuring but in a few, rare cases.
Old 02 January 2006, 04:34 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

This article details how the discs are being scratched, plus it mentions how you may be able to prevent the machine from doing it again, This would more than likley void your warranty though, as you would need to dissassemble the console, Roll on the v1.1 360 with this nice little foam pad.
Old 02 January 2006, 04:39 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

EA DVD's are less than 1mm too narrow (As in 1mm diameter) and hence could cause the disk to move around in the disk tray.This is what he said would have caused the damage to my disk but I did argue saying I'd played the disk several times without a problem!!
I reckon that's a load of BS:

If anyone has looked at a CD/DVD player mechanism. The tray is only used to load an unload. When played, a central carier spindle rises up through the centre of the disc and clamps to against another spindle directly above it. So the disc is raised completerly clear of the tray, it is also self centralising for discs not loaded 100% centrally in the tray....at the same time the mechanism raises the height of the optical pickup so it is closer to the disc.

The fault IMO: There is too much end float and free play in the spindle mecahnism, allowing the disc get too close to the surrounds of the optical pickup. The spindle mechanism itself has a degree of free play in it to compensate for vibrations and out of balance discs, but obviously too much play will cuase the disc to foul other components in the player if excessive vibration or imbalance is encountered.

The foam pad fix mentioned on many website would indeed help prevent discs form fouling the the pickup.

Last edited by ALi-B; 02 January 2006 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02 January 2006, 07:57 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

As it didn't happen again, I haven't bothered with it, but my game was PGR3 - not an EA title, so that excuse goes out the window!!!

I've logged the issue with MS (along with a freak Error 74 message) - the customer support guy was brilliant (shock!!). He said that if anything else goes wrong, they'll replace it

Dan
Old 03 January 2006, 06:10 PM
fatmanscooby
Scooby Regular

Well after phoning Microsoft i have to damage 3 disks before they will do anything. So i need to spend another £100 on disks before they will replace machine and disks. Well happy not!