Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

just been playing a 360.. hmmmm

Search this Thread

Old 16 December 2005, 09:29 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just been playing a 360.. hmmmm

My sons just come for chrimbo

brought his 360 with him so ive just set it up in his room. his old rgb monitor has been moved out, as it only has rgb on din fitting...

dropped my newer monitor in ... rgb on scart...

F*ck me what are microsoft on..... only composite video on phono!!!

no probs i,ll whack the rgb phono,s into an rgb scart adaptor...

yea like ****, ive got everyone but that ...

seems a bit strange, youd have thought they would have given an rgb scart as the minimum, not a poxy composite output.

looked at perfect dark....... whats the fuss about??

what spec exactly is the box... 128bit 256?? graphics from this one are on par with the ps2,

Mart
Old 16 December 2005, 09:41 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

its graphics card is better than anything a PC can offer at this moment, you have to remember the spec of the xbox is only being used by about 1/4 - 1/3 of its capabilities by the current markets games, the xbox360 is alot more than just gaming. you should read about what the box is capable off, in 2 years time the games will be a MASSIVE difference to what youve got now, look at when the PS2 first came out and what games were available, took a while to get the best from it.

Ohh and there should have been a RGB scart connector come with it, mine did.... ?!?
Old 16 December 2005, 09:42 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Some of the games on this look stunning - call of duty looks

Project Gotham looks good too - near photo-realistic graphics!
Old 16 December 2005, 09:44 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt

its graphics card is better than anything a PC can offer at this moment, you have to remember the spec of the xbox is only being used by about 1/4 - 1/3 of its capabilities by the current markets games, the xbox360 is alot more than just gaming. you should read about what the box is capable off, in 2 years time the games will be a MASSIVE difference to what youve got now, look at when the PS2 first came out and what games were available, took a while to get the best from it.

Ohh and there should have been a RGB scart connector come with it, mine did.... ?!?
i asked my nipper, and he wasnt to sure, might see if i can pick one up tommorow

Mart
Old 16 December 2005, 09:50 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

big attraction tho if you got it must be HD output..saw a demo in blockbusters of some racing game - not sure what it was but it looked *amazing*
Old 16 December 2005, 11:20 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

May well be but look at a game such as F.E.A.R with all the graphics settings turned on.

And in 2 years - DirectX 10 and a new generation of GPUs will be around. Consoles will never catch up with PC gaming, but then again you have to spend a lot on PCs
Old 16 December 2005, 11:29 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And there was me thinking you'd been giving a Ferrari 360 a hard time on the roads......
Old 16 December 2005, 11:42 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RON
And there was me thinking you'd been giving a Ferrari 360 a hard time on the roads......
Me too.
Old 17 December 2005, 12:43 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Better video card in what respect when a top end video card will cost you 10 times the total cost of an XBox.

In fact my cheap video card is about the same price as an Xbox.

Last edited by OllyK; 17 December 2005 at 12:51 AM.
Old 17 December 2005, 08:43 AM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Precisely. Therefore the X Box is great value.
Old 17 December 2005, 09:44 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by OllyK
Better video card in what respect when a top end video card will cost you 10 times the total cost of an XBox.

In fact my cheap video card is about the same price as an Xbox.
But if you knew much about it you'd know that Microsoft are making a big loss on each console. Some guy in america has stripped one down and calculated to build one from scratch it would cost approx £1000 IIRC. Microsft are not bothered though as theyre making money on software not the hardware.

btw, Im not argueing that in 2 years time PCs wont be better than what the xbox has to offer but the xbox has many advantages over the PC, main one being I can sit in the front room and play if I want to (suppose I can with the PC but it looks ugly and wouldnt fit in with the AV gear etc.
Old 17 December 2005, 10:27 AM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

But if you knew much about it you'd know that Microsoft are making a big loss on each console. Some guy in america has stripped one down and calculated to build one from scratch it would cost approx £1000 IIRC. Microsft are not bothered though as theyre making money on software not the hardware.

btw, Im not argueing that in 2 years time PCs wont be better than what the xbox has to offer but the xbox has many advantages over the PC, main one being I can sit in the front room and play if I want to (suppose I can with the PC but it looks ugly and wouldnt fit in with the AV gear etc.
Easy enough to build one that would fit in though - plenty of cool cases about designed to fit into a Home theatre set up..

eg http://www.coolermaster-europe.com/i...st&p_class=612

Last edited by Bartop; 17 December 2005 at 10:35 AM.
Old 17 December 2005, 10:30 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

People should stop trying to compare the 360 to a PC, they are both completely different things.

Still on the fence over the 360, the games line up is crap, mainly just ports and I haven't seen any WOW factor yet.
Old 17 December 2005, 10:30 AM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

£50 for a game!
Old 17 December 2005, 10:35 AM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
People should stop trying to compare the 360 to a PC, they are both completely different things.

Still on the fence over the 360, the games line up is crap, mainly just ports and I haven't seen any WOW factor yet.
..I've got a killer pc and believe me the demo I saw in Blockbuster running on a big HDTV was jaw dropping...
Old 17 December 2005, 10:38 AM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

My dad bought a 360 and is thinking of selling it this week (he hasn't even opened it yet!). How much do you reckon he will fetch for it?
Old 17 December 2005, 10:41 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

In 2 yrs time? I have a modest PC that is about 10 months old and cost me approx £600 without monitor (likewise Xbox u need a tv to use it pref HD). Call of Duty 2 looks better now on my PC than the demo I played on the Xbox 2. I must admit its a big jump up from Xbox (Mine is gathering dust at the mo). The gfx on CoD 2 were impressive but the playability wasnt great IMHO. Crosshairs were massive.

Yes they are different beasts but if anyone thinks the Xbox is years ahead of PCs in gfx performance then they need to take a 2nd look.

The best thing about consoles is that you can play your mates when they come around. Cant beat a footy or driving game.

Simon.
Old 17 December 2005, 10:47 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I don't understand that business model. So for each Xbox sold they have to recover £700 from software sales?

Even if they made £25 per game that would mean each Xbox user would have to buy 28 games before they would break-even.
Old 17 December 2005, 11:07 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

That's right. Analysts reckon they lost more that 2 billion $ on the old xbox, and ms themselves admit it might be a while before they start breaking even on the new console. It's all small change to Microsoft though

p.s. I've got a very high end pc, (AMD X2 4800, 2gb ram, twin 512mb 7800GTX cards etc), and the 360 hi-def graphics on my 42" plasma still impress me. Not seen anything on the pc that looks as good as PGR3 yet...
Old 17 December 2005, 12:21 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Don't forget xbox live subscriptions and licencing for 3rd party products. Dell have the same business model, they make no money on hardware.
Old 17 December 2005, 12:31 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SCOsazOBY
£50 for a game!
Have you heard of online shopping ?
Old 17 December 2005, 01:04 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Indeed, most 360 games can be had for approx £37.99 online.
Old 17 December 2005, 01:38 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by eClaire
My dad bought a 360 and is thinking of selling it this week (he hasn't even opened it yet!). How much do you reckon he will fetch for it?
My mate sold his premium pack for £500 on eBay
Old 17 December 2005, 02:03 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

My premium pack on ebay sold last week inc 2 games for £485
Old 17 December 2005, 02:37 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Don't forget xbox live subscriptions and licencing for 3rd party products. Dell have the same business model, they make no money on hardware.
Further to that; Microsoft are even more cash-rich than General Electric with hundreds of millions of Dollars given to charity each year; both by the corporation and by Bill Gates through his charitable foundation. The losses, which look crippling to you and I, are a drop in the ocean to MS and a price well worth paying to get a foothold in your living room..........

Simon
Old 17 December 2005, 03:50 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Further to that; Microsoft are even more cash-rich than General Electric with hundreds of millions of Dollars given to charity each year; both by the corporation and by Bill Gates through his charitable foundation. The losses, which look crippling to you and I, are a drop in the ocean to MS and a price well worth paying to get a foothold in your living room..........

Simon
Watched a documentry a while back and it is staggering the amount of cash Mr and Mrs Gates + MS give to charity.
Old 17 December 2005, 06:06 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
That's right. Analysts reckon they lost more that 2 billion $ on the old xbox, and ms themselves admit it might be a while before they start breaking even on the new console. It's all small change to Microsoft though
Sorry , should have written my answer better, I know they used that sort of business model but the cost of $1000 is rubbish.

MS have admitted that it costs them US$470 for each 360, the Premium edition sells for $399 and costs them $526.

That I can believe, but not a loss of £700 as mentioned earlier.
Old 17 December 2005, 07:58 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Go on then, show me the link that says where microsoft admit what it costs them to build it..... You'll spend a while on google searching for that I bet.
Old 17 December 2005, 09:43 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

not an MS cost structure but a good source

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11...ent_breakdown/

that was my first google search
Results 1 - 10 of about 14,100,000 for xbox 360 costs. (0.23 seconds)
Old 17 December 2005, 09:52 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

But if you knew much about it you'd know that Microsoft are making a big loss on each console. Some guy in america has stripped one down and calculated to build one from scratch it would cost approx £1000 IIRC.
I'm sure thats true, BUT Microsoft are building tens of millions of these, therefore component costs drop substanstially and costs to build a single unit would be nowhere near £1k (or dollars). No idea what goes into one, but I'd be suprised if its a 10th of that.

Its true that the original Xbox turned into a loss for Microsoft, from a hardware point of view, but this was propped by the licensing and sw deals. I cant see MS making big losses on the hardware this time round.

Neil

Quick Reply: just been playing a 360.. hmmmm