Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

difference between administrators

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2005, 06:06 PM
super slider
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default difference between administrators

Hi
what is the difference between the administrator set up by the computer and the computer administrator set up by myself. I have other limited user accounts on the computer.
I have problems installing (some) programs so everybody can use them on their account. any suggestions? what is the correct way to download and install programs (real player, winamp etc) so everybody can use them or do i have to install them seperately on each account
Michael
Old 15 December 2005, 10:43 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

the administrator account is built in to xp pro and is used typically for diagnostic purposes, some people may use it to install packages and give users basic "user access".

an account with admin rights (in the administrators security group) has the same rights as the built in admin account.

packages need only be installed once like real player and winamp etc. All accounts with admin rights can install programs, accounts with basic user rights cannot

I know on my system that winamp has problems running as a basic user unless the permissions on the folder are changed to give users either "write or modify" access to the folder.

To do this:

Into my computer > at the top of the windows that comes up select tools and folder options > Click the view tab at the top of the windows that comes up > scroll down to the bottom of the advanced settings and untick "use simple file sharing". It is now possible to view the NTFS permissions for that folder (assuming drive is using it)

Next part must be done with admin rights

Go into my computer, (typical setup here) Into the C drive and then program files > Right click on the winamp folder and select sharing and security > then click the security tab > Click on the users group where you see the permissions. Should have as standard read, list and read and execute ticked with the special permissions also ticked. You need to also tick Write and Modify for the users group then click apply.

Winamp should now work for an account which has user rights

You can view account and the permissions they have by right clicking on my computer and selecting manage and then click the local users and groups tab. User accounts also can be set up in control panel and click the user accounts tab (classic control panel setup)

Last edited by mike1210; 15 December 2005 at 10:47 PM.
Old 16 December 2005, 06:57 AM
super slider
Scooby Regular

Thank you mike1210. This problem was on my desktop. My laptop is formatted to Fat32. I believe there is a program you can change Fat32 to NTFS (without losing any data ? ). Where is a good place to find this with instructions ? Can it be problematic doing this ?
Old 16 December 2005, 01:25 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

convert [driveletter] /FS:NTFS
Old 17 December 2005, 09:13 AM
super slider
Scooby Regular

thanks