Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

connecting to xbox live for dummies

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2005, 04:55 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question connecting to xbox live for dummies

I'm a complete novice at this online malarky so have'nt got a clue about the first thing to do when i eventually get my 360 how do i connect it up???

Does it run through my internet connection from my computer?

Does it just plug into my phoneline and run itself ( thus having 2 connections, computer/xbox

Do i have to sycronise it with my computer?

Can i have a dummies explanation please

Last edited by RB5SCOTT; 07 December 2005 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07 December 2005, 05:46 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Hi Scott,
If it's anything like the original xbox then it's got an ethernet port on it, so you'd plug a standard ethernet cable into it and then connect it to... Well, that depends on what your home network is like.

From the sounds of things you've got a dsl modem/router, which is connected to the phone line and then your computer via ethernet. Now if that is all you have got, well, unless you want to unplug the computer and plug the xbox in when you want to use Live, you'll need a few things.

Probably the most simple solution would be to get a little four port network hub. What you then do is connect the ethernet cable from the DSL modem into the hub, then have a cable from the comptuer to the hub and from the xbox to the hub. you'd then enable "internet connection sharing" on your PC.

At which point, in theory, when the PC is on (and it'll need to be on when the xbox is online) the xbox will go through the pc and share the internet connection.

Other solutions would be to have the router do the sharing (essentially it'd be a DHCP server, which is what I think internet connection sharing does on the PC) of the connection, at which point the PC would not need to be on when you want to go online.

What I initially had setup here for my xbox was this:
Cable modem with an ethernet cable. This plugged into my Airport base station, which was acting as a DHCP server. I then had the base station plugged into a four port hub, into which I plugged my xbox. Worked perfectly fine It also meant I could use my laptop wirelessly or wired.

My current setup is that I have a DSL connection in my office. the DSL modem/router connects to a 24 port switch, which in turn is connected to my Airport base station, this is then connected to another four port hub. This allows me to have more connections than I need.
As for the xbox, well it's in the living room, so I got an Airport Express, and plugged it in where the airport base station used to be. This is acting as an extension of my wireless network, and thus uses the internet connection that my main base station has. As an aside it also allows me to use Air Tunes to pump music from my computer to my AV setup, which sits alongside the xbox.

Hope that helps.
Old 07 December 2005, 06:50 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Thanks Markus

So there is more to it then, and pretty much the sort of thing i was expecting. So much for the leaflet with the xbox live saying that connecting to the internet could'nt be easier

My internet is one of the first BT broadbands with the proper wall socket and modem (not all this filter crap) and laptop. Looks like i may have to buy a few bits and set-up a wireless network!!

Thanks again
Old 07 December 2005, 06:56 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

No problem Scott,
You don't *need* wireless, depends on where you connect to the broadband modem, and whether you like cables flowing everywhere

Alas it's not as simple as Microsoft makes out, they probably assume that people will have an internet connection that is used just for the xbox!
Old 07 December 2005, 07:09 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

If you have a laptop then you should go wireless, no point in having a laptop and then being tied to the nearest modem socket.

Who is your ISP? most ISP's will sell you a wireless router all set up and ready to go, it may not be the cheapest way to do it, but it is plug and play and they will support it if you have issues.

Once the router is in place you can choose to connect your 360 straight into it, or use the 360 wireless adaptor (£60ish).
Old 07 December 2005, 07:43 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Gooner, I'm with BT

Yep definately will have to be wireless, poxy cables
Old 17 December 2005, 02:14 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What's a good wireless gadget for xbox to wireless network / broadband router?

Ta