Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Xbox360 and ebay

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2005, 01:43 AM
SlimJ_2005
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xbox360 and ebay

I've just had a look at ebay and there are over 2500 360 consoles for sale on there already, this just annoys me a tad considering so many people that actually want them can't get hold of them for love nor money.

I know it's a supply and demand thing that pushes the price up so hats off to people that are making some money out of it!

I just think ebay should be looking at restrictions of sales of brand new consoles (or other things in high demand) until they have been out for a while, this may stop people buying up several consoles to sell on for a hefty profit and allow those that actually want the consoles to get their hands on them first.

What does everyone else think?
Old 05 December 2005, 06:38 AM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

I take it you disagree with the whole concept of free markets etc etc.
Old 05 December 2005, 07:30 AM
Mogsi
Scooby Regular

On the whole it doesn't bother me... Although people like this do, especially with the issues Game had meeting all preorders...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

I have 8 units for sale, these were obtained from a store of which I am the manager, receipt will be supplied for your gurantee, just return to any branch of "game".
Old 05 December 2005, 08:10 AM
kernel
Scooby Regular

I bet if the shops had decided to mark them up and play the free market game there would have been a huge who-ha. Plus I assume that everyone that follows the free market principal is happy with rip-off Britain?
Old 05 December 2005, 08:32 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mogsi
On the whole it doesn't bother me... Although people like this do, especially with the issues Game had meeting all preorders...

I have 8 units for sale, these were obtained from a store of which I am the manager, receipt will be supplied for your gurantee, just return to any branch of "game".
I've got no problem with the whole market forces thing. Didn't stop me reporting this guy to Game's head office, especially as I didn't get my console Vindictive? Hell yeah!
Old 05 December 2005, 08:39 AM
subaruwr1
Scooby Regular

I think you will find he probably has no consoles at all...just like his feedback!!
Beware of people with 0 feedback in cases like this.
Old 05 December 2005, 08:54 AM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Interesting thoughts. I have nothing against a free market at all. That is how supply and demand work.
Have heard two bad stories with people buying Xbox 360s on the bay from people with little or no feedback / history. Really is worth looking at getting one from someone with history / Power Seller status.

Mossman
Old 05 December 2005, 09:39 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

No problem with people making a buck, but I think for a big launch like this it should simply be restricted to 1 per person......
Old 05 December 2005, 07:49 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

The seller ended this listing early because the item is no longer available for sale.
MWUHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 05 December 2005, 07:59 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got a brochure through the letterbox this weekend from Argos, looking through it showed the 360 for £320 with 1 game (premium model), it also said it was available from the 2nd which looked promising.
On their website is said it wasn't available to reserve so today i called into their store to pick 1 up - the till girl said the're not yet available? i told her they should have been in from the 2nd - a manager who was stood behind her then told me they had some but had sent them back due to problems (said the're was a problem with them not loading games) - whats going on???
Old 05 December 2005, 09:03 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by robby
a manager who was stood behind her then told me they had some but had sent them back due to problems (said the're was a problem with them not loading games) - whats going on???
A manager that's now off work for a week playing on his new x360?

John.
Old 05 December 2005, 09:12 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I was in Game this afternoon, a member of staff was purchasing his 2nd Xbox 360 for a mate and the tosser was getting 25% discount too. The guy serving him actually joked that the reason they had none to sell was because all the staff are buying them.
Old 05 December 2005, 09:19 PM
King Eric
Scooby Regular

I tell you what I think

I wished I had invented Ebay LOL
Old 05 December 2005, 09:23 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
I was in Game this afternoon, a member of staff was purchasing his 2nd Xbox 360 for a mate and the tosser was getting 25% discount too. The guy serving him actually joked that the reason they had none to sell was because all the staff are buying them.
Well there has to be some benefits to working there. If it was you and your friend wanted one, would you not do the same ?

BTW Things may have changed since i worked there, but there is an unofficial waiting list of ones that "become available"

Also all deliveries happen on a Wednesday and Saturday morning and just because there arent any on display doesnt mean there arent any!
Old 05 December 2005, 09:58 PM
EXSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

sour grapes anyone?
ive got 2 on the bay now and one in my living room
Old 05 December 2005, 10:11 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Looks like that Game Manager got done Click here
Old 05 December 2005, 10:32 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

I find the FAQ funny
Old 05 December 2005, 10:36 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EXSCOOBY
sour grapes anyone?
Nothing at all wrong with that, good luck to you. Unless of course, you happen to be a retailer that has built up your customers hopes by accepting more pre-orders than you can fill and is then abusing your position by diverting units away from pre-orders to sell them at a hefty mark-up elsewhere.

I'm personally planning on setting myself up as a Sony distributor in time for PS3 and selling as many as I can through ebay
Old 05 December 2005, 11:14 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

sour grapes anyone?
Of course it's sour grapes, towards MS, the retailers who took too many pre-orders but still shipped out thousand of games and accessories to people who they knew wouldn't get a console and to the opportunistic wideboys who are selling on ebay.

The only consolation I have is that I am rich enough not to have to work in a retail store like game or need to sell things on ebay to make money.
Old 05 December 2005, 11:38 PM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

Wink

sour grapes anyone?
Being smug is not big! Put your 360's back in your pram
Old 05 December 2005, 11:45 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

If you can be arsed with the risk of buying a few 360's, the hassle of listing them on Ebay, and then packaging them up and posting them on the off chance you could make maybe £400 profit (if you dont get scammed), then fair play to anyone that does that, I couldnt be arsed, and dont need the money that desparately.
Old 06 December 2005, 12:10 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

sour grapes anyone?
Hardly! The thought of fetching 3 consoles, placing 2 adverts on ebay, watching those adverts, packaging 2 consoles, taking them to the post office, paying the post office, paypal and ebay and all for what? A Ton each and lowered standards, no thanks, I'll go down the pub.

Enjoy your business and don't forget to let the tax office know.
Old 06 December 2005, 06:57 AM
EXSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

of course i will jack clark
just the same as im sure you will about the several psps you imported and didnt pay tax on you smug self serving hypocrite
Old 06 December 2005, 07:59 AM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

On their website is said it wasn't available to reserve so today i called into their store to pick 1 up - the till girl said the're not yet available? i told her they should have been in from the 2nd
Erm, what planet have you been on?
Old 06 December 2005, 08:28 AM
EXSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by G00ner
Erm, what planet have you been on?
haha
Old 06 December 2005, 08:58 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

of course i will jack clark
just the same as im sure you will about the several psps you imported and didnt pay tax on you smug self serving hypocrite
Back with the personal insults again.

Lets be straight here, I had two PSPs sent to my house from Japan and customs did not charge me tax. I kept one and the other was sent on to a Scoobynet member without me making a penny. It was called a favour, worth more than the few quid you'll make hawking your wares on ebay this Christmas.

I'll scan and publish the relevant section of my tax return - even though I'm sure they'll laugh. To avoid being a hypocrite I'll expect you to show me your declaration to the D.S.S.
Old 06 December 2005, 09:04 AM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

Tax Laws have changed, it is now your duty to advise the TAX office if on imported goods you were not charged Tax & the fines for not doing so are hefty along with possible time at her majestys

Previously it was down to the tax office to charge you
Old 06 December 2005, 09:22 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Thanks for the info, I'll do just that.
Old 06 December 2005, 09:42 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

gutted

anyway back to the xbox, one of my staff knows a loke with 4 of them for sale
Old 06 December 2005, 09:47 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

I got mine from HMV but called into GAME on the way back to the car (HMV didn't have Call Of Duty 2) and a lad asked the shop assistant if they had any 360's in. He was told they did, but it was only the Core model and he could only have it if he bought it as a pack with 8 games coming in at over £600...

pirates.

Quick Reply: Xbox360 and ebay